Which Operating System do you use an why

I have to decide soon.

iPhone vs Android. Which is better for you?

How to decide between Android and iPhone
They both suck. Android at least wont take full control of your music and crap like crApple will but it takes daze to search for non-molesting apps that don't pop up games and other horseshit for assholes who think a telephone is a computer/game toy.
Every time I see some asshole sitting in public playing a game on a phone I want to throw them in front of a fast moving vehicle.

I have to decide soon.

iPhone vs Android. Which is better for you?

How to decide between Android and iPhone
They both suck. Android at least wont take full control of your music and crap like crApple will but it takes daze to search for non-molesting apps that don't pop up games and other horseshit for assholes who think a telephone is a computer/game toy.
Every time I see some asshole sitting in public playing a game on a phone I want to throw them in front of a fast moving vehicle.

I don't do gaming and stuff like that.

I have to get a phone soon, and I love my iPad.

I also need a lot of storage.

I know a guy with about 500 gig on a Huawei with 2 chips. A musician. Use the Niagra desktop to save battery and not have to look at all those idiotic icons

I use Windows10.
Somebody told me Windows10 is one of the best operating systems that's the reason why I'm using it (I'm totally ignorant about information technology and computers :biggrin:)

I use Windows10.
Somebody told me Windows10 is one of the best operating systems that's the reason why I'm using it (I'm totally ignorant about information technology and computers :biggrin:)
Unless you're running a bunch of Adobe goodies or certain video editing stuff ? They lied ! Get someone to load you MX19 XFCE or Linux Mint with Cinnamon and be done with it.

I use Windows10.
Unless you're running a bunch of Adobe goodies or certain video editing stuff ? They lied ! Get someone to load you MX19 XFCE or Linux Mint with Cinnamon and be done with it.
Thanks for your advice Likkmee! :bye1:
I'll ask my technician! :)

Still Windows 7 for gaming. Windows 10 is the Applification of Microsoft, the OS will advertise to you and send your personal information back to MS the way OSX and IOS do (though they send it to Apple/Beijing).

iu

The machine will run super fast. Never lock up and will be sufficiently powerful for many years. You can load the Linux right beside your windows if you'd like it that way for some reason. Maybe some old games or something that only run on Windows or a program you like for your camera, although Linux is loaded with camera stuff too. Just not "brand specific" like a disk that might come with a Canon or something but isn't really needed.

Personally I use Windows 10 for gaming, Linux Mint for my primary (daily) and Apple iOS on my cell phone.
All three have their strengths and weaknesses.

Windows has the lion's share of users and the vast majority of games are written for Windows but due to Windows massive market share they are the primary target for hackers and malware. A negative and positive is now Microsoft has tightened control of some aspect of their OS, positive in that it keeps the OS up to day with security patches , negative in that often the mandatory Microsoft updates "break" something........

Linux Mint It probably the most Windows like in appearance (in my humble opinion) and is a solid OS that typically requires very little to no tweaking to get things to work and has a massive support community to help out. That's also a bit of a drawback because of the number of people offering different solutions to the same problem and can be confusing to a new Linux user. The other drawback is a steep learning curve with some aspects of Linux like installing programs (packages) that are not in the Software Manager. It's a different file system, there is no .exe to set up new applications.
Adding 'Wine' will help run many Windows applications if one chooses to do so and even though it's getting better every year it's still somewhat limited.
Linux is also generally more safe primarily due to it's low market share concerning PCs and (for now) the availability of computer games able to run on Linux is still pretty small.
All super computers in the world now run off of Linux.

iOS is the operating system for Apple phones, intuitive and fairly secure. The one real drawback for some is Apple's super tight control over their OS and that's true with OS X which runs their computers. Cost is also a factor specifically in the computer market, they're just expensive.
I use Windows 10 for everything on this computer. I've had very few problems with it. I have no desire to change.
And that's the thing, "no desire to change" that and familiarity sometimes combined with disinformation is key. For disinformation I'm referring to, "Linux is for geeks" or "Microsoft wants your soul" or "Apple computers never break".........
People use what they like or simply what they are familiar with and usually will not change unless specific personal circumstances force them to. That's why I never advocate one operating system over the other, oh I may rant and rave on occasion and joke around in good natured fun but as with politics, etc I do love messing with acolytes....... :D

I use Linux quite a bit, have for well over a decade.

The problem is simply software. For backend servers Linux works great, a Posix spam filter and mail relay, stuff like that. But Libre doesn't have the polish of Office, not even close. MySQL is no substitute for Visual Studio.

It's not that Linux is hard, or any harder than Windows, it's just that it perpetually lags 5 or more years behind the curve on software.

Personally I use Windows 10 for gaming, Linux Mint for my primary (daily) and Apple iOS on my cell phone.
All three have their strengths and weaknesses.

Windows has the lion's share of users and the vast majority of games are written for Windows but due to Windows massive market share they are the primary target for hackers and malware. A negative and positive is now Microsoft has tightened control of some aspect of their OS, positive in that it keeps the OS up to day with security patches , negative in that often the mandatory Microsoft updates "break" something........

Linux Mint It probably the most Windows like in appearance (in my humble opinion) and is a solid OS that typically requires very little to no tweaking to get things to work and has a massive support community to help out. That's also a bit of a drawback because of the number of people offering different solutions to the same problem and can be confusing to a new Linux user. The other drawback is a steep learning curve with some aspects of Linux like installing programs (packages) that are not in the Software Manager. It's a different file system, there is no .exe to set up new applications.
Adding 'Wine' will help run many Windows applications if one chooses to do so and even though it's getting better every year it's still somewhat limited.
Linux is also generally more safe primarily due to it's low market share concerning PCs and (for now) the availability of computer games able to run on Linux is still pretty small.
All super computers in the world now run off of Linux.

iOS is the operating system for Apple phones, intuitive and fairly secure. The one real drawback for some is Apple's super tight control over their OS and that's true with OS X which runs their computers. Cost is also a factor specifically in the computer market, they're just expensive.
I use Windows 10 for everything on this computer. I've had very few problems with it. I have no desire to change.
And that's the thing, "no desire to change" that and familiarity sometimes combined with disinformation is key. For disinformation I'm referring to, "Linux is for geeks" or "Microsoft wants your soul" or "Apple computers never break".........
People use what they like or simply what they are familiar with and usually will not change unless specific personal circumstances force them to. That's why I never advocate one operating system over the other, oh I may rant and rave on occasion and joke around in good natured fun but as with politics, etc I do love messing with acolytes....... :D
I'm just fine with Windows 10. If I ever start experiencing frequent problems, I would, of course, consider changing. But things are fine right now.

The "problems" are mostly hyped. But Windows 10 spies on you and will advertise, even on the OS with no web browser open.

The machine will run super fast. Never lock up and will be sufficiently powerful for many years. You can load the Linux right beside your windows if you'd like it that way for some reason. Maybe some old games or something that only run on Windows or a program you like for your camera, although Linux is loaded with camera stuff too. Just not "brand specific" like a disk that might come with a Canon or something but isn't really needed.

Old games? Plenty of games don't run, or don't run well, on Linux. :dunno:

Using windows 7 Home Premium. Have not changed to 10 because heard I would not be able to load my bought, licensed Microsoft Office Suite and would end up basically leasing what I already own if I changed to 10. I still haven't gotten over not being butt hurt about not being able to load my complete set of Adobe Photo Suite from my XP days.

At home I went all iMac when the first one hit the market and have 3 in use today plus an early MacBook Air (11-inch) that sucks for today's purposes except for note-taking/photo storage when traveling.

The one remaining broadcaster for whom I still do pro-bono work is all Windows - the root of most of their problems. Holding off on updating to Windows 10 because new reports of bugs and especially new bugs in bug-fixes keep erupting. Also the anti-virus protecting it won't work with Windows 10 and the replacement for it runs over 20X more expensive than the previous generation per machine. Considering they need new computers soon they're looking at some of the Apple-based automation systems a lot more seriously than in the past; just never moving to Windows 10 at all.

But for grins and giggles....the OS that came on a cassette with the antique VIC-20.

That's why the comment of "load right beside windowz. It's called dual boot. You start the machine and the BIOS asks. Windows or Linux ? Click and go

Win 10 and 7 X64 for games, CentOS or Fedora for Linux ( I had a teacher ), putting together an XP machine once I find the right disk to wipe.

Linux for Parted Magic and Clonezilla.

Would be messing with that XP, but it's beers time now. :alcoholic:

That's why the comment of "load right beside windowz. It's called dual boot. You start the machine and the BIOS asks. Windows or Linux ? Click and go

Yeah, I have a dual boot PC with Win7 and Linux Mint. You specifically said old games that only run on Windows, though, as though newer games all run on Linux. For gamers, Linux is unfortunately still not a great option.

Forum List

Back