Which of these is the best drum solo and/or drummer

Who you like

• John Bonham

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Carter Beauford (Dave Mathews still SUCKS hard -pretend that's not relevant)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

edthecynic

Censored for Cynicism
Reaction score
A really fine drummer who pretty much wasted his advanced technique playing straight ahead 4/4 rock/pop is Steve Smith, of Journey. Really good. But there were a lot of those musicians.
Another one is Phil Collins. He has a great touch on the drums, but you won't here it on Genesis.
Check out Brand X.

gtopa1

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Sorry to all dopeheads; drum solos ARE boring....................but in context...drums are good of course. Same with the noise from electric guitars.......

Greg
Here is a more musical drum solo.

I can appreciate the technical excellence and the ability of the drummer but I just don't like the sound of drum solos.

Greg

Pogo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
OP
WTH_Progs?

WTH_Progs?

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Deep Purple anyone? Deep

flacaltenn

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love how he gets excited .
Watch it with sound off and you think he's teaching new age CPR with all the chest beating. That is pretty great tho. Cymbal abuse used to drive me nuts in a band tho...

impuretrash

Gold Member
Reaction score
I don't think rock and jazz music usually gives drummers much room to showcase their talents. Metal is where it's at. I know most of you guys arent into metal music but give this a listen anyway:

Yes, it's a cover but it's 100% accurate to the drum composition Dave Lombardo wrote for the song and brings the instrument to the forefront where it can be more easily appreciated. It really takes off around the 56 second mark.

CrusaderFrank

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Vinny Colaiuta was Zappa's favorite drummer. His work with Arthur Barrow on bass on "Shut Up N Play Yer Guitar" is just stellar.

Dadoalex

Gold Member
Reaction score
I play, and 40 years later I feel good about it. Never sat with a band, it's not why I play. ...
Solos are not the mark of a good drummer. My kid can beat the hell out my drums but can't read a note of music or play along with the music.

I can read music and keep a beat but, at 65, my hands are no longer fast enough for an impressive solo.

Not saying join a band but learn to read the music and get a big headset and practice playing along. Much more satisfying than just beating the skins.

OP
WTH_Progs?

WTH_Progs?

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I play, and 40 years later I feel good about it. Never sat with a band, it's not why I play. ...
Solos are not the mark of a good drummer. My kid can beat the hell out my drums but can't read a note of music or play along with the music.

I can read music and keep a beat but, at 65, my hands are no longer fast enough for an impressive solo.

Not saying join a band but learn to read the music and get a big headset and practice playing along. Much more satisfying than just beating the skins.
I know I should take the time to learn to read notes. I knew how to read music in my youth, but never drums. Headset is all I do drums, it's a blast. You're right about solos, in fact I've never tried, I like music & playing along. When you said solos aren't the mark of a good drummer the first guy that came to mind was Mick Fleetwood. He's just not a solo guy though he's a fine musician.

Better than Keith Moon;) Blah! You know, "one of the best eva'"?

Synthaholic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Interesting choice --- I always played that track to highlight Jack Bruce's bass.

But that was the thing about Cream; there were no weak points. Disraeli Gears was the first LP I ever bought and I literally wore it out.
Tales of Brave Ulysses is a trippy song. Wah-wah extravaganza! :icon_sjung:

New Topics

Most reactions - Past 7 days

Forum List