Which of these is the best drum solo and/or drummer

Who you like

• John Bonham

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Carter Beauford (Dave Mathews still SUCKS hard -pretend that's not relevant)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
A really fine drummer who pretty much wasted his advanced technique playing straight ahead 4/4 rock/pop is Steve Smith, of Journey. Really good. But there were a lot of those musicians.
Another one is Phil Collins. He has a great touch on the drums, but you won't here it on Genesis.
Check out Brand X.

I don't think rock and jazz music usually gives drummers much room to showcase their talents. Metal is where it's at. I know most of you guys arent into metal music but give this a listen anyway:

Yes, it's a cover but it's 100% accurate to the drum composition Dave Lombardo wrote for the song and brings the instrument to the forefront where it can be more easily appreciated. It really takes off around the 56 second mark.

Vinny Colaiuta was Zappa's favorite drummer. His work with Arthur Barrow on bass on "Shut Up N Play Yer Guitar" is just stellar.

I play, and 40 years later I feel good about it. Never sat with a band, it's not why I play. ...
Solos are not the mark of a good drummer. My kid can beat the hell out my drums but can't read a note of music or play along with the music.

I can read music and keep a beat but, at 65, my hands are no longer fast enough for an impressive solo.

Not saying join a band but learn to read the music and get a big headset and practice playing along. Much more satisfying than just beating the skins.

I play, and 40 years later I feel good about it. Never sat with a band, it's not why I play. ...
Solos are not the mark of a good drummer. My kid can beat the hell out my drums but can't read a note of music or play along with the music.

I can read music and keep a beat but, at 65, my hands are no longer fast enough for an impressive solo.

Not saying join a band but learn to read the music and get a big headset and practice playing along. Much more satisfying than just beating the skins.

I know I should take the time to learn to read notes. I knew how to read music in my youth, but never drums. Headset is all I do drums, it's a blast. You're right about solos, in fact I've never tried, I like music & playing along. When you said solos aren't the mark of a good drummer the first guy that came to mind was Mick Fleetwood. He's just not a solo guy though he's a fine musician.

Better than Keith Moon;) Blah! You know, "one of the best eva'"?

New Topics

Forum List

Back