Which income/tax bracket would you prefer?

Which income do you prefer?

• I want my salary to be 410k, placing me in the 39.6% bracket

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • I want my salary to be 390k, placing me in the 35% bracket

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • I prefer to make only 10k so I can pay hardly any taxes

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

OohPooPahDoo

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
N'Awlins Mid-City
Suppose your boss asked you which income you wanted and you got to pick. 390k or 410k. Suppose also the tax on that income is the tax that is being/will be levied in 2013, when the new tax rates are in effect.

Which would you pick?

Last edited:
I prefer it to be the same as anyone else.. blind to which # dollar it is that is earned.. without exemption, exception, or deduction

Because no dollar earned by any person, regardless of income level, should be taxed any differently... But then again.. I prefer that equality in treatment by government under law thing

I pick ~ I prefer to make only 10k so I can pay hardly any taxes. Who would want to pay 39,6%?

I prefer it to be the same as anyone else.. blind to which # dollar it is that is earned.. without exemption, exception, or deduction

Because no dollar earned by any person, regardless of income level, should be taxed any differently... But then again.. I prefer that equality in treatment by government under law thing

Subjective Equality Man has arrived.

I had no idea that dollars had rights.

Suppose your boss asked you which income you wanted and you got to pick. 390k or 410k. Suppose also the tax on that income is the tax that is being/will be levied in 2013, when the new tax rates are in effect.

Which would you pick?

$410k after taxes is $247,640
$390k after taxes is $253,500..... so probably $390k.

Also to note, would be more willing to donate my hard earned money to the gov't if so much of it wasn't going to blowing up people in the middle east with billion dollar helicopters, and spying on our Facebook, Email, and Phone Records.

I'd rather keep that money and pay off my student loans (ie use it towards something that provides actual value).

Did not say they did.. but nice try

I said every dollar earned regardless of where in a person's income level should be taxed the same.. which is treating the citizens equally without subjective criteria...

It should not be about anything else but equality in treatment.. in taxation, just as you call for it in other areas... not supporting taxing dollars 400K-2.2M more on person A because you get an advantage by having government do that to them with that unequal treatment.. YOU want it because it benefits YOU and your CAUSE and your AGENDA... you want the services, you want the benefits, you want the entitlements BUT you want the burden to be on someone else because you FEEL they can better take or accept the crunch of the bill...

Which would you pick?

Are you seriously this stupid?

You don't even get how income tax brackets work, do you?

Last edited:

I said every dollar earned regardless of where in a person's income level should be taxed the same.. which is treating the citizens equally without subjective criteria...

So dollars are citizens?

Which would you pick?

Whoops, I'm no tax accountant, but just realized this is likely a sliding scale where all income up to x is taxed at a 35% rate, then income that follows taxed at x, etc (so my analysis was off a bit).

Thanks for the insult OohPah, total lack of respect for anyone. Par for the course, I'd say.

What's with your constant hostility? Did you have a bad childhood and/or are you currently being bullied at your place of work/school?

Last edited:
I pick ~ I prefer to make only 10k so I can pay hardly any taxes. Who would want to pay 39,6%?

I concur, I can't support the evil that the government is purporting to inflict on the world right now. It used to be just the horrors it was inflicting on other nations. Now that tax money is going toward screwing up our own children's minds, and increasingly going towards stripping our civil liberties and civil rights.

If living like a hermit means starving the government? Sure, I'm game. I am finding it very hard to think or any government programs I DO support any more.

Whoops, I'm no tax accountant, but just realized this is likely a sliding scale where all income up to x is taxed at a 35% rate, ect (so my analysis was off a bit).

Thanks for the insult OohPah, you sound like a very respectful and open individual. Par for the course, I'd say from folks I've met with your views (unfortunately).

Its "likely a sliding scale" ?

No guess work required, its
"the tax that is being/will be levied in 2013, when the new tax rates are in effect"
as mentioned in the OP. And it isn't 35% on all income up to 400k, either.

"You make too much money. You do not deserve it, nor do you NEED it, so we are going to tax you more."

Roads-n-bridges, roads-n-bridges, rah-rah-rah!

Whoops, I'm no tax accountant, but just realized this is likely a sliding scale where all income up to x is taxed at a 35% rate, ect (so my analysis was off a bit).

Thanks for the insult OohPah, you sound like a very respectful and open individual. Par for the course, I'd say from folks I've met with your views (unfortunately).

Its "likely a sliding scale" ?

No guess work required, its
"the tax that is being/will be levied in 2013, when the new tax rates are in effect"
as mentioned in the OP. And it isn't 35% on all income up to 400k, either.

It's not very clear; our tax system is notoriously complex.

When you say "35% tax bracket", does that mean the entire income will be taxed at 35%? How about you post the incomes + effective tax rates for each so that we can make a quick and easy decision.

Also, you never addressed my question; why are you so angry and disrespectful to others all of the time? Defense mechanism? Is that how you were taught to interact with others?

Last edited:

So dollars are citizens?

Again you attempt to insert something that was not claimed, nor insinuated

We are taxed on income.. income is dollars earned by citizens.. there is no difference between dollar #3 earned by person A and dollar #12630784 earned by person B.. yet you wish to treat person B differently on how they are taxed because of a subjective criteria on whether dollar 3 or dollar 12630784 means something different.. the person is taxed ON the income, yet in your little world you get to determine whether that particular dollar is 'expendable' or 'necessary'... because you then get to interject your FEELINGS about the personal situation of the person based on your subjective criteria... hence you can then justify by FEELING that person B should foot more of the bill for services person A would use

Why not progressive sales tax?? I know, progressive cigarette tax!! Or maybe even progressive gas tax!!! You get to throw in your subjective bullshit to deem person A is more WORTHY of a free ride, while person B gets to foot the bill..

Sorry.. I would rather have a system where NO citizen gets to subject to more governmental power in the pandering game... I would rather we have the equal treatment where government loses that power of playing the pandering game... I don't want a rich person getting an exemption that a poor person is not, just as I do not want a poor person getting a rate a rich person is not.. the parts of the SUBJECTIVE system that leads to the pandering have to go on ALL sides....

Forum List

Back