Which do you think is the better carry gun?

I'm mostly a revolver guy and EDC a 1970 Colt Cobra with 158 gr LSWC-HP cartridges......The old "FBI Load".

I use a open-top DeSantis OWB leather holster that fits tight against the hip. I also use a old Bianchi 6-round leather dump pouch for a reload.....They are no longer made but it's the best pouch I've come across.

Note that the belt goes over the holster, pulling it in to the hip and the smoothed-out factory grip does not allow for hanging-up on anything.....The Cobra is dead-balls accurate for a snubby too. ;)

View attachment 748622
Damn, the old belt is getting long in the tooth.

A bit about the "FBI Load":

The revolvers the FBI used were S&Ws in .38 Special (various 2.5" and 4" K frames) and .357 Magnum (Model 19s in 2.5 and 4").

The load got used for real by the many PDs using it and it showed itself to penetrate well with good expansion and that the load was also a good performer in the various 2" guns in play all over the place.

The Dallas PD "launched" literally dozens of bad guys with it and there was little complaint.

Allan Jones, now retired from CCI-Speer, was a firearms examiner in the Dallas Crime Lab (SWIFS) and his research showed the load's effectiveness before DPD even adopted it.

He wrote a couple of articles describing the process and what they found during their lab testing using 20% ballistic gelatin. His testing was correct and what we found in the Dallas area (and that everybody else discovered) was that that load worked very well....
Do you notice a difference in feel, retention, printing, or ease of draw by dressing the belt over the holster? I just changed from a pocket holster to pancake with retention strap and i like that I am more conscious of it than when I would put it in my pocket.

To a certain extent yeah.
Get some ballistic gel and find out for sure.
lung blower.jpg

Yeah, but Biden...

Do you notice a difference in feel, retention, printing, or ease of draw by dressing the belt over the holster? I just changed from a pocket holster to pancake with retention strap and i like that I am more conscious of it than when I would put it in my pocket.

The tighter it lays against your hip the better but it sorta rules out rubber or aggressively textured grips as far as comfort goes, especially in warm weather when just a untuck-it type button-up shirt covers it and the butt contacts your skin....Never no issues with "printing".

I never could get comfortable with a IWB holster. If I needed really deep cover I'd go with either my S&W Model 36 snubby or KT P-32 in a pocket holster.

The tighter it lays against your hip the better but it sorta rules out rubber or aggressively textured grips as far as comfort goes, especially in warm weather when just a untuck-it type button-up shirt covers it and the butt contacts your skin....Never no issues with "printing".

I never could get comfortable with a IWB holster. If I needed really deep cover I'd go with either my S&W Model 36 snubby or KT P-32 in a pocket holster.
I always wear a t-shirt and shirt when I have it on my belt. I carry a S&W 60 with stock grips in my pocket, and it only prints in cargo shorts. I had thought about trying an IWB, but I guessed that it would be uncomfortable and cause problems with my belt holes.

The little woman finally wants to carry also, so I will likely give her my 60 and carry an SD40 crossdraw. Not a big fan of anything other than a revolver for carry, but I don't want to spend the money for another revolver before I know that Mrs. Flops will stick with carrying. I offered to get her a Kimber K6 if she will carry steady for three months.

A wheel gun trumps techie semi-autos for the majority of the carry permit defensive public. A .38 revolver is half the price of a Glock. No safeties or lock and load mode in a wheel gun. Just point and shoot five or six.

But so far, not ONE of you guns nuts has answered my question in the op! I'm reporting every one of you!

5 shots vs 9 shots. Duh.
Six shots with the Cobra using time proven ammo.....I never think that I'm "under-gunned". That and I am very skilled in it's use.

To me it's a wash effectiveness wise.....Only you can make the decision as to what you prefer.

I do what works best for me. I suggest you do the same and don't settle for something you don't really care for.

Revolvers do tend to be about 99.9% reliable when squeezing the trigger. But only have about 5/6 rounds before need to reload. Even if you have/use a speed loader it takes a bit longer than dropping a empty mag and slamming a loaded one in.

There's also the factor of most semi-autos hold about 7-8 rounds, or more in most and large styles/makes. Also semi-autos do have a flatter contour if that matters for your conceal carry. With situations increasingly involving two or MORE assailants, the extra shots in those crucial first seconds may make a difference.

The following video/link addresses this and tends to leave that question open. It is longer than five minutes and is a pitch for their courses. HOWEVER, he does address some of the common myths (9), and uses an actual shooting event video to make some of his points.*

Some of the myths;
Thinking if the perp is down with one shot, he's actually DOWN.
Turning ones back on a questionable down perp.
Being too anxious to draw and fire rather than ride it out or escape. - Better be sure your life IS in danger and you have no other options.
ETC.

*BTW - the click link for this was shown as an ad above the thread title on my computer.

5 shots vs 9 shots. Duh.
That's it? Cops carry high capacity mags because they might engage multiple targets. A defensive posture of a civilian really isn't the same. Most potential assaults will be put off with a single round. The main thing in personal carry is to be comfortable with the weapon and be able to engage it instantly without fumbling with a safety or putting a round in the chamber. God help the innocent public if an adrenaline fueled untrained assault victim finally gets nine shots off.

Last edited:
Not following you here.
Cops are trained to be aggressive and pursue a bad guy. A victim who protects himself with a firearm has no such responsibility. After the first or second or even the third shot in self defense the rest of the magazine might be fired off down the road.

Cops are trained to be aggressive and pursue a bad guy. A victim who protects himself with a firearm has no such responsibility. After the first or second or even the third shot in self defense the rest of the magazine might be fired off down the road.
Ok then...

Forum List

Back