Which do you think is the better carry gun?

miketx

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2015
I've got a 5 shot Ruger sp101 357 magnum revolver with a 2 1/4 inch barrel, and a S&W EZ 9mm that holds 9 rounds with a 3 plus inch barrel. I tend to favor the 9mm over the 357. I think the 357 may have a slight edge in power, but the 9mm has nearly twice the fire power. What do you think? I usually carry the 9 now but sometimes will grab the Ruger.

I've got a 5 shot Ruger sp101 357 magnum revolver and a S&W EZ 9mm that holds 9 rounds. I tend to favor the 9mm over the 357. I think the 357 may have a slight edge in power, the 9mm has nearly twice the fire power. What do you think? I usually carry the 9 now but sometimes will grab the Ruger.

I've carried the SP101 for many years, with .38 special +P ammo. I also carry a Glock 43 (9mm) or a 27 (.40 S&W) sometimes. But I know without a doubt that SP101 will go bang when I pull the trigger, and with a 14 lb trigger pull, an AD is highly unlikely.

• Banned
I've carried the SP101 for many years, with .38 special +P ammo. I also carry a Glock 43 (9mm) or a 27 (.40 S&W) sometimes. But I know without a doubt that SP101 will go bang when I pull the trigger, and with a 14 lb trigger pull, an AD is highly unlikely.
I did a trigger job on mine and the pull is 10 pounds but I may put the 14 pound spring back because I worry about light strikes. It works fine but you never know.

I did a trigger job on mine and the pull is 10 pounds but I may put the 14 pound spring back because I worry about light strikes. It works fine but you never know.

I thought about that, too, but the gunsmith talked me out of it, and he had a good point. God forbid I have to use it to defend myself, some fucking lefty prosecutor will say I modified the gun with a "hair trigger", and I was just looking to kill someone. Beware.

I've got a 5 shot Ruger sp101 357 magnum revolver with a 2 1/4 inch barrel, and a S&W EZ 9mm that holds 9 rounds with a 3 plus inch barrel. I tend to favor the 9mm over the 357. I think the 357 may have a slight edge in power, but the 9mm has nearly twice the fire power. What do you think? I usually carry the 9 now but sometimes will grab the Ruger.
I prefer a light cannon, with say a four-pound ball..

I'm mostly a revolver guy and EDC a 1970 Colt Cobra with 158 gr LSWC-HP cartridges......The old "FBI Load".

I use a open-top DeSantis OWB leather holster that fits tight against the hip. I also use a old Bianchi 6-round leather dump pouch for a reload.....They are no longer made but it's the best pouch I've come across.

Note that the belt goes over the holster, pulling it in to the hip and the smoothed-out factory grip does not allow for hanging-up on anything.....The Cobra is dead-balls accurate for a snubby too. ;)

c 001 (2).JPG

Damn, the old belt is getting long in the tooth.

A bit about the "FBI Load":

The revolvers the FBI used were S&Ws in .38 Special (various 2.5" and 4" K frames) and .357 Magnum (Model 19s in 2.5 and 4").

The load got used for real by the many PDs using it and it showed itself to penetrate well with good expansion and that the load was also a good performer in the various 2" guns in play all over the place.

The Dallas PD "launched" literally dozens of bad guys with it and there was little complaint.

Allan Jones, now retired from CCI-Speer, was a firearms examiner in the Dallas Crime Lab (SWIFS) and his research showed the load's effectiveness before DPD even adopted it.

He wrote a couple of articles describing the process and what they found during their lab testing using 20% ballistic gelatin. His testing was correct and what we found in the Dallas area (and that everybody else discovered) was that that load worked very well....

What is your hand and finger strength? Are you able to rack the slide ok?

What's your situation? How are you carrying? Normal person or carrying money to deposit etc?

Also are these the two choices?

If I had to do it over I would get an M&P carry 2.0 with apex trigger and barrel. Alternatively a Walther Q4.

Well, I carry a little gun in my left sock some days. It shoots little bullets. Other times I carry a S&W .44 mag. It shoots big bullets.
Which one do you think I should carry?

A slight edge?

Forum List

Back