Where Is The “Climate Emergency”?

Never said it was global at all, it is an excellent example of REGIONAL Climate Change, from thousands of years of wet weather to thousands of years of dry weather that is Climate Change YOU are overlooking over and over.

And you are SUPPOSED to totally over look regional weather.
Regional weather is not supposed to be called climate at all.
Climate is generic, like winter vs summer.
A hot, cold, dry, or wet spell is weather, NOT climate.
Climate is persistent over some time period.

Anyway, the point is with global warming, we are talking about the whole planet, and possibly being persistent for 100,000 years.
A worst case scenario could easily wipe out all life on the entire planet.

Well technically, there’s individual climate around the world, there can be local climate shifts and other parts of the globe don’t change. It could have been the shift in land masses over time,

Climate is a summation, so even if we are talking one small location, it would be an average over a period of time.
If a single extreme storm comes through, you would not call that climate.
That is weather.
Shifts in land masses I think are much slower.

{...
Africa has been slowly colliding with Europe for millions of years, Scotese said. "Italy, Greece and almost everything in the Mediterranean is part of (the African plate), and it has been colliding with Europe for the last 40 million years."
...}

That is in a scale of tens of millions of years, and is much longer and slower than the 110,000 years of an iceage and warming cycle.

Yawn,

here is an example of massive change in climate yet the world goes on from John Muir to Greta Grumpy.

Did the planet collapse or did human species drop dead?

View attachment 593077

You going to pass out over it, be my guest.

There is NO climate Emergency ongoing never has been since we have lived through several Glaciation phases, warmer interglacials than the Holocene (the coldest one yet so far) and yet here we are at around 7 billion people today.

:hello77:
How many species have gone extinct since the last ice age? How many millions of human deaths would be too many for you?

But what about Plain Old Climate Change? The climate changes constantly on it's own, ya know!

Nor killing off late-stage fetuses for convenience, profit, and tissue experiments.

Natural climate change is the 110.000 year long cycle or something even slower.
There is no natural cycles close to the large change we are in the process of doing in only 200 years or less.

And no, the main reason to terminate as many fetuses as possible is we have about 5 times the sustainable population.
Malthus was not at all wrong, but we temporarily avoided his predictions with fossil fuel.
Once fossil fuels run out, then the predictions of Malthus become fact once again.

But what about Plain Old Climate Change? The climate changes constantly on it's own, ya know!

Nor killing off late-stage fetuses for convenience, profit, and tissue experiments.

Yeah, the guy is a world class loon.

How many species have gone extinct since the last ice age? How many millions of human deaths would be too many for you?

With oceans rising as much as 250' and temperatures being as much as 11 degrees hotter, life would be much harder for our descendants.
It is selfish and unfair to them, if nothing else. But I agree there would also be massive human death rates.

With oceans rising as much as 250' and temperatures being as much as 11 degrees hotter, life would be much harder for our descendants.
It is selfish and unfair to them, if nothing else. But I agree there would also be massive human death rates.
Those numbers sound extreme but it would not take much to put Florida under water. They'd just migrate north and be OK but the farmers of Bangladesh would not have similar options and periodically are dying from floods and famine.

Natural climate change is the 110.000 year long cycle or something even slower.
WRONG. Yes, there are three competing overlapping cycles based on the Earth's precision of equinox, eccentricity and wobble or elongation, but you disappoint me if you really think there is no more to it that that.

And no, the main reason to terminate as many fetuses as possible is we have about 5 times the sustainable population.
Why not just take all the undesirables and put them in a gas chamber? It has been done before. I bet you'd be good at it.

Climate is a summation, so even if we are talking one small location, it would be an average over a period of time.
If a single extreme storm comes through, you would not call that climate.
That is weather.
Shifts in land masses I think are much slower.

{...
Africa has been slowly colliding with Europe for millions of years, Scotese said. "Italy, Greece and almost everything in the Mediterranean is part of (the African plate), and it has been colliding with Europe for the last 40 million years."
...}

That is in a scale of tens of millions of years, and is much longer and slower than the 110,000 years of an iceage and warming cycle.
Exactly. There’s no such thing as global climate

And you are SUPPOSED to totally over look regional weather.
Regional weather is not supposed to be called climate at all.
Climate is generic, like winter vs summer.
A hot, cold, dry, or wet spell is weather, NOT climate.
Climate is persistent over some time period.

Anyway, the point is with global warming, we are talking about the whole planet, and possibly being persistent for 100,000 years.
A worst case scenario could easily wipe out all life on the entire planet.
Damn again I agree. Definition of climate is winter, spring, summer and fall. Everything else is weather

???? Whether you make sense or not, it seems obvious to me the Earth is warming. Either natural or man-made or a combination of both, doesn't matter, the Earth is still warming.

Why? Because people tell you it is? The actual facts are it is slightly cooling now, but there is good evidence that the cooling will increase rapidly in the near future. The only way the "expurts" can get the numbers they post is by lying. They take actual raw data, and then run them through computer models to get the down trend to be changed into an up trend.

This is well documented.

Exactly. There’s no such thing as global climate

Wrong.
The global climate is the sum total at any particular time.
For example, during the Cambrian period, there was far more carbon in the air and it was much warmer because of it.
So the global climate was different.

{...
Before the Cambrian period, 542 million years ago, ... but the unusually high levels of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere (about 15 times those of the present day) imply that the average temperature may have exceeded 120 degrees Fahrenheit, even near the poles. Eighty-five percent of the earth was covered with water (compared to 70 percent today), most of that area being taken up by the huge Panthalassic and Iapetus oceans; the average temperature of these vast seas may have been in the range of 100 to 110 degrees Fahrenheit.
...}
The Proto-Vertebrates of the Cambrian Period

When the Earth moves further from the sun, the global climate may cool.
Or the sun expanding could make the global climate of the Earth much hotter.

Global climate is not site specific like local weather, or time dependent, like summer/winter seasonal climate.

Why? Because people tell you it is? The actual facts are it is slightly cooling now, but there is good evidence that the cooling will increase rapidly in the near future. The only way the "expurts" can get the numbers they post is by lying. They take actual raw data, and then run them through computer models to get the down trend to be changed into an up trend.

This is well documented.
So is this (thanks Sunsettommy). Maybe you have an alternative theory?
glacierbaymap_large-png.593077

Damn again I agree. Definition of climate is winter, spring, summer and fall. Everything else is weather

No, if the sun were to increase its activity and constantly be hotter, that is warming up of global climate and is not weather.

The actual facts are it is slightly cooling now, but there is good evidence that the cooling will increase rapidly in the near future.
I can all but guarantee you that we are living on borrowed time and sooner or later eventually, we will be BEGGING for man made global warming.

global_temp2L.jpg

Maybe carbon will replace gold as the new standard. :smoke:

What people like alang perceive as climate change is mainly just the natural movement of wet, dry, hot, and cold regions moving about. One century, a place is a lush plain. A few centuries later, it starts changing to a desert. Happens all the time. Meantime, it gets wet somewhere else. Only now, we have enough instruments, science, and fearsome libs around to document it all for their next research proposal.

Last edited:
WRONG. Yes, there are three competing overlapping cycles based on the Earth's precision of equinox, eccentricity and wobble or elongation, but you disappoint me if you really think there is no more to it that that.

Why not just take all the undesirables and put them in a gas chamber? It has been done before. I bet you'd be good at it.

Wrong.
The precession, nutation, and eccentric do NOT have much significance compared to the carbon cycle influence on climate.
The carbon cycle is about 110,000 year long.
It starts with plants reducing carbon, that makes it colder, the cold kills the plants, they decay and release their carbon, and that makes it warmer again.

So is this (thanks Sunsettommy). Maybe you have an alternative theory?
glacierbaymap_large-png.593077

That was the end of the little ice age. And look how long ago the vast majority of the melting occurred.

The world operates on a time scale vastly slower than our pitiful lives. Things that began hundreds of years ago won't reach their finish for hundreds more.

Hell, the last ice age ended 11,000 years ago and the continents are STILL rebounding from the weight of the continental ice sheets.

Forum List

Back