Where are the Republicans going?

Supposn

Gold Member
Jul 26, 2009
Republicans believe themselves to be conservatives, but I suppose they'll adopt any political label that would suit their purposes. They are not more or less patriotic than any other USA citizens.

They do not represent the majority of USA's population, and although they represent the majority of U.S. congressional districts, Republican federally elected office holders are not our nation's majority of voters' choice.

If voters are ranked by wealth, the majority of wealthier voters are Republicans. I've been led to believe the overwhelming majority of corporation share owners and their executives are Republicans. I'm also told that the same for military and law enforcement officers and their lower ranks, but I have less confidence in those reports.
Among other professions where a Republican majority might exist, those majorities are not overwhelming. Within some professions, the majority of practitioners are not Republicans.

Our nation's demographics are detrimental to a political party of policies currently advocated by Republicans. In the not distant and possibly near future, I suppose Republicans will have significantly lesser influence upon USA's policies.

Respectfully, Supposn

They are not more or less patriotic than any other USA citizens.

The GOP pols aren't patriotic to the US at all.

Their voters are patriotic, but very misled.

The Dem Party pols and supporters summed together still have zero patriotism to the US.

It would be more effective if you gave some actual information or data and not just your stupid opinions.

People who are successful in the private sector tend to be conservative republicans. They also tend to be more intelligent and knowledgeable about most things.

The Democrat are multi-faceted, but the people at the VERY TOP and the people at the VERY BOTTOM tend to be Democrats. At the top, they have lost touch with reality, and at the bottom, they simply want a government that will give them as much free stuff and free benefits as possible.

Democrats tend to manipulate definitions of things, in order to make themselves look less disgusting.

If you define "Patriotic" as noisy, constantly criticizing Government, constantly demanding that Government accede to your personal desires, ignoring the Constitution, and looking with disgust at anyone wearing a uniform, then Democrats are "patriotic."

But under the traditional definition, Democrats are generally more subversive than patriotic.

People who are successful in the private sector tend to be conservative republicans.

That was true prior to 1998.

Today's "Republicans" are wealthy Zionists and unimaginably dumb white Christians...

The Zionists don't care about the US at all, and the Christians don't understand basic math.

By the way, are you aware how it works that Democrats are in the majority but at the moment hold fewer offices than Republicans? (Aside from fielding crappy candidates).

Democrats tend to cluster in urban areas, where they win elections with 90% of the vote. In Philadelphia it's 100%. While in SANE areas, the votes are evenly divided or slightly tend to Republican. So when all the votes are counted, the Republicans hold slightly less than half the votes, but win more than half of the seats.

See Caifornia, where Democrats control the coast, with 75% of the vote and the rest of the state is evenly divided.

Republicans believe themselves to be conservatives, but I suppose they'll adopt any political label that would suit their purposes. They are not more or less patriotic than any other USA citizens.

They do not represent the majority of USA's population, and although they represent the majority of U.S. congressional districts, Republican federally elected office holders are not our nation's majority of voters' choice.

If voters are ranked by wealth, the majority of wealthier voters are Republicans. I've been led to believe the overwhelming majority of corporation share owners and their executives are Republicans. I'm also told that the same for military and law enforcement officers and their lower ranks, but I have less confidence in those reports.
Among other professions where a Republican majority might exist, those majorities are not overwhelming. Within some professions, the majority of practitioners are not Republicans.

Our nation's demographics are detrimental to a political party of policies currently advocated by Republicans. In the not distant and possibly near future, I suppose Republicans will have significantly lesser influence upon USA's policies.

Respectfully, Supposn
post like this make me thing of things like pinky toes and appendix' and tonsils...jus sayn sposn

It would be more effective if you gave some actual information or data and not just your stupid opinions.

People who are successful in the private sector tend to be conservative republicans. They also tend to be more intelligent and knowledgeable about most things.

The Democrat are multi-faceted, but the people at the VERY TOP and the people at the VERY BOTTOM tend to be Democrats. At the top, they have lost touch with reality, and at the bottom, they simply want a government that will give them as much free stuff and free benefits as possible.

Democrats tend to manipulate definitions of things, in order to make themselves look less disgusting.

If you define "Patriotic" as noisy, constantly criticizing Government, constantly demanding that Government accede to your personal desires, ignoring the Constitution, and looking with disgust at anyone wearing a uniform, then Democrats are "patriotic."

But under the traditional definition, Democrats are generally more subversive than patriotic.
DGS49, “Political” is an adjective defined as “relating to the ideas or strategies of a particular party or group in politics”. Politics is certainly more subjective rather than an objective topic of discussion.

I suppose you may consider wealth as the only or primary gauge of success, and commerce being the only or event the primary driver of civilization. I will not debate that question (which is a subjective and political opinion). But I do point out that those who have achieved the most respected status within their professions are not always among those earning the greatest incomes due to their endeavors.

I do not question your patriotism. The last hyperbolic paragraphs of your post, [particularly your very last, “ But under the traditional definition, Democrats are generally more subversive than patriotic”], lead me to suppose you're among those claiming to be a conservative and demonstrating the poorest quality of judgment.

Respectfully, Supposn

Respectfully, Supposn
In today's climate, anybody that will vote for anybody that isn't a democrat - is a republican. For example, I'm a conservative constitutionalist, but must vote republican to keep the leftist traitor democrats out of office.

Respectfully, Supposn

We've been told this for at least a generation, as one of the primary reasons that republicans are supposed to be losing, yet they have been, to a large degree, picking up ground over that time.

It will take a while for it to shake out, wish I had some confidence that thing will be OK going forward. we have had both party's in power & have had both good & bad results, war bothers me & we have had plenty of that, guess have not gotten over the last Bush Republican president & where that took us.

Respectfully, Supposn

YAWN!

You people have been telling me that the GOP is dying out for at least 40 years.

How old are you? If you are less than 30, you can be excused for saying it yetagain, but it never happens. You see, when young democrats get a job, raise families and earn their own money, they become republicans if they are intelligent at all.

Respectfully, Supposn
They should be going to the showers like the good jewish people did in the 40's for germany.

Respectfully, Supposn
They should be going to the showers like the good jewish people did in the 40's for germany.

And you should be going to prison

Respectfully, Supposn
Acting-School Flunkout

You should change your username to "Posn" (as a realistic and objective opinionator). Your act deserves rotten tomatoes.

Respectfully, Supposn

And you should be going to prison
Are you afraid of showers? And speaking the truth is not a reason to go to prison unless it upsets a republican.

DGS49, “Political” is an adjective defined as “relating to the ideas or strategies of a particular party or group in politics”. Politics is certainly more subjective rather than an objective topic of discussion.

I suppose you may consider wealth as the only or primary gauge of success, and commerce being the only or event the primary driver of civilization. I will not debate that question (which is a subjective and political opinion). But I do point out that those who have achieved the most respected status within their professions are not always among those earning the greatest incomes due to their endeavors.

I do not question your patriotism. The last hyperbolic paragraphs of your post, [particularly your very last, “ But under the traditional definition, Democrats are generally more subversive than patriotic”], lead me to suppose you're among those claiming to be a conservative and demonstrating the poorest quality of judgment.

Respectfully, Supposn
Doomed Dems Whistling in the Dark

Trying to relate to you, I'll put this in your favorite replacement for the English language: "Whassup, poser?"

Trying to relate to you, I'll put this in your favorite replacement for the English language: "Whassup, poser?"[/QUOTE]

Low IQ & Conservative Beliefs Linked to Prejudice

Low IQ & Conservative Beliefs Linked to Prejudice
Stephanie Pappas, LiveScience Senior Writer | January 26, 2012 10:29am ET

There's no gentle way to put it: People who give in to racism and prejudice may simply be dumb, according to a new study that is bound to stir public controversy.

The research finds that children with low intelligence are more likely to hold prejudiced attitudes as adults. These findings point to a vicious cycle, according to lead researcher Gordon Hodson, a psychologist at Brock University in Ontario. Low-intelligence adults tend to gravitate toward socially conservative ideologies, the study found. Those ideologies, in turn, stress hierarchy and resistance to change, attitudes that can contribute to prejudice, Hodson wrote in an email to LiveScience.

"Prejudice is extremely complex and multifaceted, making it critical that any factors contributing to bias are uncovered and understood," he said.

Controversy ahead

The findings combine three hot-button topics.

"They've pulled off the trifecta of controversial topics," said Brian Nosek, a social and cognitive psychologist at the University of Virginia who was not involved in the study. "When one selects intelligence, political ideology and racism and looks at any of the relationships between those three variables, it's bound to upset somebody."

Polling data and social and political science research do show that prejudice is more common in those who hold right-wing ideals that those of other political persuasions, Nosek told LiveScience. [7 Thoughts That Are Bad For You]

"The unique contribution here is trying to make some progress on the most challenging aspect of this," Nosek said, referring to the new study. "It's not that a relationship like that exists, but why it exists."

Brains and bias

Earlier studies have found links between low levels of education and higher levels of prejudice, Hodson said, so studying intelligence seemed a logical next step. The researchers turned to two studies of citizens in the United Kingdom, one that has followed babies since their births in March 1958, and another that did the same for babies born in April 1970. The children in the studies had their intelligence assessed at age 10 or 11; as adults ages 30 or 33, their levels of social conservatism and racism were measured. [Life's Extremes: Democrat vs. Republican]

In the first study, verbal and nonverbal intelligence was measured using tests that asked people to find similarities and differences between words, shapes and symbols. The second study measured cognitive abilities in four ways, including number recall, shape-drawing tasks, defining words and identifying patterns and similarities among words. Average IQ is set at 100.

Social conservatives were defined as people who agreed with a laundry list of statements such as "Family life suffers if mum is working full-time," and "Schools should teach children to obey authority." Attitudes toward other races were captured by measuring agreement with statements such as "I wouldn't mind working with people from other races." (These questions measured overt prejudiced attitudes, but most people, no matter how egalitarian, do hold unconscious racial biases; Hodson's work can't speak to this "underground" racism.)

As suspected, low intelligence in childhood corresponded with racism in adulthood. But the factor that explained the relationship between these two variables was political: When researchers included social conservatism in the analysis, those ideologies accounted for much of the link between brains and bias.

People with lower cognitive abilities also had less contact with people of other races.

"This finding is consistent with recent research demonstrating that intergroup contact is mentally challenging and cognitively draining, and consistent with findings that contact reduces prejudice," said Hodson, who along with his colleagues published these results online Jan. 5 in the journal Psychological Science.

A study of averages

Hodson was quick to note that the despite the link found between low intelligence and social conservatism, the researchers aren't implying that all liberals are brilliant and all conservatives stupid. The research is a study of averages over large groups, he said.

"There are multiple examples of very bright conservatives and not-so-bright liberals, and many examples of very principled conservatives and very intolerant liberals," Hodson said.

Nosek gave another example to illustrate the dangers of taking the findings too literally.

"We can say definitively men are taller than women on average," he said. "But you can't say if you take a random man and you take a random woman that the man is going to be taller. There's plenty of overlap."

Nonetheless, there is reason to believe that strict right-wing ideology might appeal to those who have trouble grasping the complexity of the world.

"Socially conservative ideologies tend to offer structure and order," Hodson said, explaining why these beliefs might draw those with low intelligence. "Unfortunately, many of these features can also contribute to prejudice."

In another study, this one in the United States, Hodson and Busseri compared 254 people with the same amount of education but different levels of ability in abstract reasoning. They found that what applies to racism may also apply to homophobia. People who were poorer at abstract reasoning were more likely to exhibit prejudice against gays. As in the U.K. citizens, a lack of contact with gays and more acceptance of right-wing authoritarianism explained the link. [5 Myths About Gay People Debunked]

Simple viewpoints

Hodson and Busseri's explanation of their findings is reasonable, Nosek said, but it is correlational. That means the researchers didn't conclusively prove that the low intelligence caused the later prejudice. To do that, you'd have to somehow randomly assign otherwise identical people to be smart or dumb, liberal or conservative. Those sorts of studies obviously aren't possible.

The researchers controlled for factors such as education and socioeconomic status, making their case stronger, Nosek said. But there are other possible explanations that fit the data. For example, Nosek said, a study of left-wing liberals with stereotypically naïve views like "every kid is a genius in his or her own way," might find that people who hold these attitudes are also less bright. In other words, it might not be a particular ideology that is linked to stupidity, but extremist views in general.

"My speculation is that it's not as simple as their model presents it," Nosek said. "I think that lower cognitive capacity can lead to multiple simple ways to represent the world, and one of those can be embodied in a right-wing ideology where 'People I don't know are threats' and 'The world is a dangerous place'. ... Another simple way would be to just assume everybody is wonderful."

Prejudice is of particular interest because understanding the roots of racism and bias could help eliminate them, Hodson said. For example, he said, many anti-prejudice programs encourage participants to see things from another group's point of view. That mental exercise may be too taxing for people of low IQ.

"There may be cognitive limits in the ability to take the perspective of others, particularly foreigners," Hodson said. "Much of the present research literature suggests that our prejudices are primarily emotional in origin rather than cognitive. These two pieces of information suggest that it might be particularly fruitful for researchers to consider strategies to change feelings toward outgroups," rather than thoughts.

You can follow LiveScience senior writer Stephanie Pappas on Twitter @sipappas. Follow LiveScience for the latest in science news and discoveries on Twitter @livescience and on Facebook.

People who give in to racism and prejudice may simply be dumb

Indeed, the OBAMA YOUTH fit that definition perfectly...

They are completely bigoted, they can't do basic math, and the Dems just smile knowing they will live lousy lives.... but they will also VOTE DEM....

Forum List

Back