When will regulators require web sites to....

HaShev

Gold Member
Jun 19, 2009
I noticed a lot of web sites (like service types) that feed off users to monetize their customer base are avoiding being transparent with required business information and contact info, but also now the trend is to not have a profile removal link or ability to remove yourself (like after you see the poor website design, poor profit share structure or member fees not worth the service, or the sites poor performance or lack of current customer base or not trusting their payment service), and sometimes even purposely fault out any ability for removal of your info, pics, and email.
Why do they do this?
Simple, they do this to give the false sense of a large user base to convince others to pay for a false pretense that you can contact people for services such as musician services, entertainers, instructor etc. When in actuality the actual recently using users are almost non existing.
So they are fraudently drumming up subscribers to use their service through your profiles that you already gave up on and couldn't remove.
I personally do not want someone lured into a subscription thinking they have contact access to my ghost profile. This is also why the not so legit sites hide their Business licensing info, address, and contact.
Is anyone gonna regulate these practices or are we all subject to being hijacked in this sense and manner?

I'm a conservative leaning Rabbi, I think you are confusing me for a Priest, TV Evangelist, or progressive liberal politician. 😄
Besides your joke doesn't fit the concept of web sites built on users paying to contact other users for professional services and collaborations.
Now knowing the background, you can rewrite your joke to Jdate. 😇

Are you talking about Linkedin? The nations largest customer base stealing operation?
Yeah, I caught on to that several years back.
People join and ask to make "friends" so they can see your contact list... which is mostly your clients.

No not Linkin, but there are many examples of this practice to create inflated user numbers to lure people into membership, so they can find out half the members are phoney or scamers and the other half have either left using the site for years or have died, sort of like the blue states voter rolls.
And yes There's the good and the bad about networking, and those sites, and scamers ruin all those sites too. But this topic implies the web sites themselves are scams, and worse, some are run by scamers who are part of hacker groups.

Forum List

Back