When SHTF, which of these weapons would you choose?

Choose one firearm and one hand-to-hand weapon

• Total voters
Got it... But in each case it was the government that maintained order, not the citizens..

Not during the King riots in LA it didn't. The PEOPLE were on their own for over 3 days. The police ABANDONED them.

No, not everyone will be sane and some of those insane people will have guns. But that will be true whether the people on this thread discuss and prepare or not. So, rather than make demeaning remarks, why not suggest allowances for lunatics?

If allowances were possible then that would have prevented such things as Sandy Hook, Aurora, Columbine, etc... Score....Crazies 40+ to Sane 0.

There are many, many factors in surviving a major upheaval. Many people will not survive due to violence, lack of food or other obvious hazards. Many more will not survive because of their mindset and their inability to adapt. It would seem to me that these people are the ones you are talking about. And discussions like these would help avoid becoming one of them, or at the very least, dealing with them.

I understand that this is just a fantasy about favorite weapon, but to your point, there is a real component to this, which is what my initial question was trying to raise awareness too.

For weapon of choice, how do you accommodate someone having a "bigger" one? You bring a desert eagle, they bring a m1, you bring a ak47, they bring a tank?

Size doesn't matter. It's how it's used. My primary weapon in a bad, bad situation is a Ruger 10/22 a self loading .22 long rifle. One of the weakest cartridges on the planet. However, when I shoot it I hit whatever I aim at. And that's the point.

Shikaki, let me ask you a question.

Why would you care of people were setting aside some of what they have in preparation for when the SHTF? You joined our discussion, so why does it bother you that we are having such a discussion?

I think I can answer that more truthfully then he will.

It's no different then the jealousy of the left and money. Someone else has more of it,so it cant possibly be fair.
And of course if the SHTF they would become totally defenseless ...and that scares them.

Believe I already answered his question.. Hopefully you read...

For the record, I'm far from defenseless. Never remembered stating my political affiliation. And I thought this sort of board was about stimulating the noodle. If by not agreeing with all comments means I'm a liberal, then not sure how to respond to that. Sorry that drooling seems better than thinking!! Didn't realize that if you are conservative, that meant you had to be conservative about all issues.

One of your first posts was an insult and you wish us to believe that you're all about the "discussion"? Get real.

Winterborn.. I appreciate the civil discussion we have entertained. You have had good points and I hope you feel the same. When the world has become so mundane and predictable, it is nice to explore thoughts outside of ourselves!!

I have enjoyed the discourse. Now if I could offer you a small piece of advice for future postings? The comparison between guns and penis size is a common insult from the anti-gun crowd. That single post put you in a category, whether real or not, that gun buffs despise. I am glad you didn't continue that, and glad we found common ground. But just know the reaction you will likely get if you use that in the future.

Only the weapon owners know if there is any truth to it. :)

And that continuation of it, classifies you as a troll not to be taken seriously. Thanks for making it clear.

I don't have an aversion to people protecting themselves. I think you may be more distrustful of the government than I am, but I'm open to the fact they may screw us over. I just don't choose to live in that kind of fear.
I'm determined to stay cautiously optimistic until a I feel a reason not to. As far as being prepared, it really depends on what we are preparing against. If it is truly the government, me having a AK-47 is like me having a paintball gun, completely out "gunned". One aptly manned apache can destroy anything we can think of, not to mention the fighters or bombers.
I think if most were to really think about this sort of outcome to much, they would be to depressed to function.

Once the government has lost the faith of the People ... To an extent that open warfare on the People is required ... Then it is safe to say they are no longer a "Government of the People".
With a thorough understanding of military capabilities ... And without discarding the obvious difficulties those operations incur during Guerilla Warfare ... some things remain evident.

Fighting well armed militia on their home ground is far more difficult than most people understand anyway.
If the military was so damned good at it ... Then as far as Vietnam and Afghanistan are concerned ... The Military should have been done in days.
For Christ's sake ... We bombed the crap out of Vietnam, drove tanks all over the place, Cobra AH-1 gunships armed to the teeth ... And still could not root out the hostiles.

It is a lot easier to fight a Military than a Guerilla force any day ... Militaries need things like logistics, support, intelligence and coordination.
All a Guerilla warrior needs a weapon and willpower, because they will pick up whatever else they need a long the way.

To the average person a dead soldier is a sad and nearly unacceptable circumstance ... To a Guerilla warrior, a dead soldier is nothing more than "resupply".
It is depressing when you examine the complications of outright warfare ... But worrying about it ... Talking about it, and hoping it never happens ... Will not prepare you more than the purchase of a decent rifle and a reasonable amount of ammunition.

Only the weapon owners know if there is any truth to it. :)

Whether there is any truth to it or not, you will find a hostile reaction is common. I guess its up to you. If you want hostility instead of civil discourse, start a conversation with gun buffs with the penis comparison. I pretty much guarantee that a civil discourse is the last thing that will happen.

I find it almost funny that statement generates so much hostility, when I read the sorts of name calling, derogatory, disrespectful dialogue that goes on. Why do you think that is?

Looked in the mirror lately? You ascribe to us the EXACT same behavior that you yourself engage in, and then you demand we take you seriously. Typical ignorant liberal.

Whether there is any truth to it or not, you will find a hostile reaction is common. I guess its up to you. If you want hostility instead of civil discourse, start a conversation with gun buffs with the penis comparison. I pretty much guarantee that a civil discourse is the last thing that will happen.

I find it almost funny that statement generates so much hostility, when I read the sorts of name calling, derogatory, disrespectful dialogue that goes on. Why do you think that is?

Looked in the mirror lately? You ascribe to us the EXACT same behavior that you yourself engage in, and then you demand we take you seriously. Typical ignorant liberal.

No I didn't ascribe anything to you, I simply made an observation. I didn't name call. I demanded nothing from you and after reading your "thoughts" expect very little from you.

Do you need attention or is it time for a timeout?

I don't have an aversion to people protecting themselves. I think you may be more distrustful of the government than I am, but I'm open to the fact they may screw us over. I just don't choose to live in that kind of fear.
I'm determined to stay cautiously optimistic until a I feel a reason not to. As far as being prepared, it really depends on what we are preparing against. If it is truly the government, me having a AK-47 is like me having a paintball gun, completely out "gunned". One aptly manned apache can destroy anything we can think of, not to mention the fighters or bombers.

I think if most were to really think about this sort of outcome to much, they would be to depressed to function.
When I think about the prospect of armed conflict between the U.S.' civilian population and our government the first things that come to mind are my strong opposition to suspending the draft and how effectively the federal government has managed to incrementally prepare to suppress an armed rebellion.

Concerning Government's ability to quickly and efficiently crush any rebellious civilian effort, regardless of how well armed and organized a civilian militia might be, I think you've said it all. The uprising wouldn't stand a chance against the kind of destructive power our government has managed to amass.

This immediately brings to mind my opposition to our all-volunteer military, which, considering the broad range of recruitment inducements, the fact is being a soldier today has become more of a job than a patriotic obligation. The U.S. Army has become a de-facto mercenary army rather than a Peoples' army -- and a People's army is what an army of conscripts is and should be.

The only hope a civilian rebellion might have to resist or prevail over the U.S. Government would rest entirely on the contingency of sympathy on the part of the military. And the odds of that happening on the part of an army consisting mainly of career soldiers, many of whom are married and living in military housing, are not very good.

That is one reason why I strongly advocate restoring the draft. There are others.

Last edited:

No I didn't ascribe anything to you, I simply made an observation. I didn't name call. I demanded nothing from you and after reading your "thoughts" expect very little from you.

What do you call it when you say people collect guns because they have small penises? I think the rest of the world would call that an insult. Don't you? Would you not come to the conclusion quite rapidly that that was an insult?

Your unethical behavior is duly noted.

With a thorough understanding of military capabilities ... And without discarding the obvious difficulties those operations incur during Guerilla Warfare ... some things remain evident.

Fighting well armed militia on their home ground is far more difficult than most people understand anyway.

If the military was so damned good at it ... Then as far as Vietnam and Afghanistan are concerned ... The Military should have been done in days.

For Christ's sake ... We bombed the crap out of Vietnam, drove tanks all over the place, Cobra AH-1 gunships armed to the teeth ... And still could not root out the hostiles.

It is a lot easier to fight a Military than a Guerilla force any day ... Militaries need things like logistics, support, intelligence and coordination.

All a Guerilla warrior needs a weapon and willpower, because they will pick up whatever else they need a long the way.

To the average person a dead soldier is a sad and nearly unacceptable circumstance ... To a Guerilla warrior, a dead soldier is nothing more than "resupply".

It is depressing when you examine the complications of outright warfare ... But worrying about it ... Talking about it, and hoping it never happens ... Will not prepare you more than the purchase of a decent rifle and a reasonable amount of ammunition.
I have no argument against anything you've said. But I hasten to remind you that the kind of efficient guerilla activity you've described depends entirely on the critical factor of solidarity, which is virtually non-existent in contemporary American society and would take quite a long time to develop.

What do you call it when you say people collect guns because they have small penises? I think the rest of the world would call that an insult. Don't you? Would you not come to the conclusion quite rapidly that that was an insult?

While you are duly noting things and bullying, since as you described me I am a "ignorant liberal"... Please try to duly note you are unable to read plain English. I have taken the time to help your laziness by pasting the exact quote.

I think to act like a tough guy, big gun, small p***, people need to put this in real perspective. Is there a reason to not think about reality? Seems as valid a point as what weapon would I would use to do "something" with if the SHTF.

I see nothing here that says "people collect guns because they have small penises?" It seems to be referring to some person who is trying to act tough, used metaphorically to make the point however, if the gun fits wear it!!

Let me help - Metaphor: a figure of speech in which a word or phrase is applied to an object or action to which it is not literally applicable.

Please duly note reality, not your perception of it.

Last edited:
If you go back and re-read with an open mind what I wrote, you will see that it was an attempt to move the conversation to the reality of potentially shooting another human being. It was not stating the sole reason anyone posses a weapon is because of inadequacies, it was to say let's stop pretending we are tough guys and really think about the potential implications.

Now to your point I see why you reacted the way you did, but I think you will see my thought processes if you re-read what I wrote.

And since we have drug it this far, I'm sure there are a few people around the world that do own weapons for the wrong reason, not saying you are one of them.

As far as the 2nd amendment, I fully support it, I do have exception with the wording. Weapons have changed dramatically since the amendment was created. There needs to be some parameters to help clarify acceptable weapons:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Can I own a tank or a f18? Those are extreme, but where is the line drawn?

Now that I know where you're coming from,it pretty much fits with your initial posts.
You have an aversion to people protecting themselves from government.
That is what the 2nd is all about. If you dont have at least small arms on par with the government you lose the ability to enforce the rest of the Constitution.

You seem to think the government is your friend. I don't. And recent activities make me doubt their benevolence even more.
World history is rife with seemingly benign government turning tyrannical.
This day and age,it wont be done with outright aggression,but slowly through gov mandate.
I dont know how old you are,but I'm not exactly ancient at 48 and the difference I see in America since my twenties is disheartening to say the least.
People want to make a living wage at McDs,more are on welfare then ever before,Government intrusion gone wild.
Sorry dude,but I dont see rainbows and unicorns in our future if **** doesnt change.
Since these happenings are pretty much beyond my control,I feel it's best to be prepared then to be caught like some sucker.

I think you underestimate the abilities of an armed population. Yes, the US military could wipe out an entire area. But would they? The amount of bad press they received for civilian casualties in Iraq was serious. Make those civilian casualties americans and the backlash will be exponentially greater.

Also, those who would rebel against a tyrannical gov't would not be in separate areas,but mixed into the general population. One Apache can do great damage, but would it be able to pick out the rebel amongst the civilians?

And if you look at the last 100+ years of military history, you will find that one of the most effective weapons has been the sniper. Most hunters would make excellent snipers. And we have thousands of those. Make the regular troops afraid to step into the open and you have accomplished quite a task.

While you are duly noting things and bullying, since as you described me I am a "ignorant liberal"... Please try to duly note you are unable to read plain English. I have taken the time to help your laziness by pasting the exact quote.

I think to act like a tough guy, big gun, small p***, people need to put this in real perspective. Is there a reason to not think about reality? Seems as valid a point as what weapon would I would use to do "something" with if the SHTF.

I see nothing here that says "people collect guns because they have small penises?" If the gun fits wear it!!

Me a bully?:lol::lol::lol::lol: Sure thing noodle person!

I see nothing here that says "people collect guns because they have small penises?" If the gun fits wear it!!

Me a bully?:lol::lol::lol::lol: Sure thing noodle person!

So now you are making fun of my Chinese heritage? WOW

I have no argument against anything you've said. But I hasten to remind you that the kind of efficient guerilla activity you've described depends entirely on the critical factor of solidarity, which is virtually non-existent in contemporary American society and would take quite a long time to develop.

I do not think it would take long at all to develop. I recall most bickering and in-fighting stopping completely on 9/12/01. In fact, I recall a huge feeling of solidarity in the months after. That sort of sentiment could be tapped rather easily.

If the military was so ****ed good at it ... Then as far as Vietnam and Afghanistan are concerned ... The Military should have been done in days.

I do not think it would take long at all to develop. I recall most bickering and in-fighting stopping completely on 9/12/01. In fact, I recall a huge feeling of solidarity in the months after. That sort of sentiment could be tapped rather easily.

I agree to some extent with what you are saying, however I think we would see more confusion and hysteria if our own government was against us. Not sure solidarity would kick in until later after the dust settled, but that may be too late.

Last edited:
If you go back and re-read with an open mind what I wrote, you will see that it was an attempt to move the conversation to the reality of potentially shooting another human being. It was not stating the sole reason anyone posses a weapon is because of inadequacies, it was to say let's stop pretending we are tough guys and really think about the potential implications.

Now to your point I see why you reacted the way you did, but I think you will see my thought processes if you re-read what I wrote.

And since we have drug it this far, I'm sure there are a few people around the world that do own weapons for the wrong reason, not saying you are one of them.

As far as the 2nd amendment, I fully support it, I do have exception with the wording. Weapons have changed dramatically since the amendment was created. There needs to be some parameters to help clarify acceptable weapons:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Can I own a tank or a f18? Those are extreme, but where is the line drawn?

Now that I know where you're coming from,it pretty much fits with your initial posts.
That is what the 2nd is all about. If you dont have at least small arms on par with the government you lose the ability to enforce the rest of the Constitution.

You seem to think the government is your friend. I don't. And recent activities make me doubt their benevolence even more.
This day and age,it wont be done with outright aggression,but slowly through gov mandate.
I dont know how old you are,but I'm not exactly ancient at 48 and the difference I see in America since my twenties is disheartening to say the least.
People want to make a living wage at McDs,more are on welfare then ever before,Government intrusion gone wild.
Sorry dude,but I dont see rainbows and unicorns in our future if **** doesnt change.
Since these happenings are pretty much beyond my control,I feel it's best to be prepared then to be caught like some sucker.

I have to assume you didnt read my posts a few pages back.
I'm a prepper by happenstance,not by fear or intent. My hobbies make it easy to become self sufficient.
I hunt,I fish,I backpack and I enjoy the outdoors in general. If the SHTF I have a head start on those who dont have those interest.
I dont stock pile ammo,unless you think two or three thousand rounds for a multitude of weapons is stockpiling.
In my opinion,if you dont at least make rudimentary plan to keep yourself and family safe you're a moron.
No different then being prepared for a hurricane....which I'm familiar with as well.

Once the government has lost the faith of the People ... To an extent that open warfare on the People is required ... Then it is safe to say they are no longer a "Government of the People".

Aaaaahhhh...someone who understands the implications of guerrilla warfare.
You cant win unless you kill the entire population,unless of course you can win their hearts and minds.
Which wont happen in America.

I'm a prepper by happenstance,not by fear or intent. My hobbies make it easy to become self sufficient.
I hunt,I fish,I backpack and I enjoy the outdoors in general. If the SHTF I have a head start on those who dont have those interest.
I dont stock pile ammo,unless you think two or three thousand rounds for a multitude of weapons is stockpiling.
In my opinion,if you dont at least make rudimentary plan to keep yourself and family safe you're a moron.
No different then being prepared for a hurricane....which I'm familiar with as well.

I like watching Doomsday Preppers.. Hey we found common ground :thanks:

I like watching Doomsday Preppers.. Hey we found common ground :thanks:

Cant say I've ever watched it.
This makes me want to ask...how old and where do you live?
Or should I ask where were you raised?
The life I describe is common place in the south.
I've had my own shotgun and rifle since I was eleven. (37 years ago)

I have to think you're much younger then me and live in the NE or the NW.
I remember driving to school with a couple of shotguns in the window rack of my truck and no one thought anything about it.
I carried a pocket knife with a six inch blade in school and no one cared.

The things you see as odd,I see as normal. Thats what you have to watch out for.
Before you know it your way of life comes into question.

Forum List

Back