When SHTF, which of these weapons would you choose?

Choose one firearm and one hand-to-hand weapon

• Total voters
Presuming SHTF means a breakdown in law and order I believe close-range defensive weapons would be an individual's most logical choice. And because I believe high-capacity automatic weapons have their place I would not choose the AA-12 shotgun as a primary weapon.

While the AA-12 auto shotgun seems to be a good weapon to have on hand to repel a major frontal attack, the ordinary individual's concerns would be considerably less threatening. So my personal choices would be a pump shotgun with extended magazine and a .357 magnum revolver (I don't like automatic pistols).

A good revolver gives you protection and reliability that an autoloader will never match.

I agree with the rest of your post. But then, my choice is an 870 shotgun that is modified from an old hunting shotgun. I can switch stocks, barrels, and magazine tubes and be back to that solid hunter at any time.

I think to act like a tough guy, big gun, small p***, people need to put this in real perspective. Is there a reason to not think about reality? Seems as valid a point as what weapon would I would use to do "
"something" should the SHTF!!

:lol::lol::lol::lol: Typical libtard response. My penis is very average and I have no need to compensate for it. You insult gun owners and yet you are so blissfully ignorant of what you speak that you automatically resort to insults because it is YOU who is insecure.

Shikaki, let me ask you a question.

Why would you care of people were setting aside some of what they have in preparation for when the SHTF? You joined our discussion, so why does it bother you that we are having such a discussion?

I think to act like a tough guy, big gun, small p***, people need to put this in real perspective. Is there a reason to not think about reality? Seems as valid a point as what weapon would I would use to do "

Perhaps you see someone with a gun as a "tough guy". I do not have guns to make me tough or cool, and it has nothing to do with the size of my genitalia. The suggestion that is does shows you to be petty and uninterested in the facts of the discussion. Unfortunately you will have to find another thread to boost you ego. On this one you failed miserably.

Do you think there is no chance that our society will fold up? You are absolutely sure it will continue? And that there is no chance of major collapse or disaster? If so, you are either delusional or need to be on meds.

Surviving is reality. Some people choose to rely on others to get them thru a crisis. Some have seen the folly in that.

I have fire extinguishers, but I have never had a fire in my house. The same rational applies to my preparedness for when the SHTF.

The discussion is based on delusions of fear and insanity and I need to be on meds? WOW. When is the last time you have had to survive? This proves the point. We all sit in our privileged gated communities discussing how we will tough up when the need arises. Talk about delusional. Give me one example that our entitled society is imploding? Real examples, no nut house propaganda!!

:lol::lol::lol: Oh, you poor little puppy. I hope you don't live in a metropolitan area when a natural disaster hits....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gCHS7CsjsE]L.A. Riots - 1992 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pltyHB1MoPQ]Los Angeles Riots and looting RAW Footage 1992 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRc_FlmW2Jc]La Riots store owners protect store with guns - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYCrMNEdweY]New Orleans Looting Katrina - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY-VFNPPcOE]Black Police Women looting a Wal Mart in New Orleans after Katrina. - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPpUwy5NSMU]Reports of looting at Coast Guard House - YouTube[/ame]

You see dear child the caca hitting the fan can be anything...

Why would you care of people were setting aside some of what they have in preparation for when the SHTF? You joined our discussion, so why does it bother you that we are having such a discussion?

Not everyone that has weapons is sane. To assume that everyone has the ability to maintain rational common sense while the SHTF is a bit a scary. I know, if I have my weapons then I can protect myself from the insane, but there are many factors in that conclusion. Even though the US has the best military in the world, there are many US soldiers coming back in wooden coffins. They all had weapons and they all knew how to use them.

Got it... But in each case it was the government that maintained order, not the citizens..

These people are so hilarious. When the shit hits the fan? You're all sufferening from paranoid delusions. You're as nutty as Charles Manson thinking the US was on the brink of civil war between blacks and whites.

Don't worry sweetheart ... There are still a few of us nutcases that have put away enough guns, ammo and supplies to take care of you for a while when it isn't funny anymore.
Not me of course ... But you wouldn't want help from me anyway ... And I am pretty sure I would probably shoot you myself after about three or four days of your probable incessant whining.

The chances of you getting wasted go down greatly if you can cook or clean half-way decent though.

GX-3 (7.62mm x 39)
Ruger P-85 (9mm)
Modern Kopis Sword

Not everyone that has weapons is sane. To assume that everyone has the ability to maintain rational common sense while the SHTF is a bit a scary. I know, if I have my weapons then I can protect myself from the insane, but there are many factors in that conclusion. Even though the US has the best military in the world, there are many US soldiers coming back in wooden coffins. They all had weapons and they all knew how to use them.

No, not everyone will be sane and some of those insane people will have guns. But that will be true whether the people on this thread discuss and prepare or not. So, rather than make demeaning remarks, why not suggest allowances for lunatics?

There are many, many factors in surviving a major upheaval. Many people will not survive due to violence, lack of food or other obvious hazards. Many more will not survive because of their mindset and their inability to adapt. It would seem to me that these people are the ones you are talking about. And discussions like these would help avoid becoming one of them, or at the very least, dealing with them.

All posturing and joking aside ... Statistics about soldiers having weapons and knowing how to use them, but ending up dead anyway ... Should give you a pretty good idea of what happens when you don't have a weapon.
Most gun owners ... Are just people who rely on their own abilities for protection, food ... And when possible the assistance of others.

As a veteran ... All I can tell you is that having a weapon in a hostile situation greatly increases your ability to survive ... As well as gives you an advantage in negotiations with armed objectors that the unarmed do not have.

Edit:
All I can say is that in a SHTF crisis ... If local law enforcement, or federal officials come knocking on my door ... It will be because they need my assistance, and not to collect my firearms.

Last edited:
No, not everyone will be sane and some of those insane people will have guns. But that will be true whether the people on this thread discuss and prepare or not. So, rather than make demeaning remarks, why not suggest allowances for lunatics?

If allowances were possible then that would have prevented such things as Sandy Hook, Aurora, Columbine, etc... Score....Crazies 40+ to Sane 0.

There are many, many factors in surviving a major upheaval. Many people will not survive due to violence, lack of food or other obvious hazards. Many more will not survive because of their mindset and their inability to adapt. It would seem to me that these people are the ones you are talking about. And discussions like these would help avoid becoming one of them, or at the very least, dealing with them.

I understand that this is just a fantasy about favorite weapon, but to your point, there is a real component to this, which is what my initial question was trying to raise awareness too.

For weapon of choice, how do you accommodate someone having a "bigger" one? You bring a desert eagle, they bring a m1, you bring a ak47, they bring a tank?

If allowances were possible then that would have prevented such things as Sandy Hook, Aurora, Columbine, etc... Score....Crazies 40+ to Sane 0.

I understand that this is just a fantasy about favorite weapon, but to your point, there is a real component to this, which is what my initial question was trying to raise awareness too.

For weapon of choice, how do you accommodate someone having a "bigger" one? You bring a desert eagle, they bring a m1, you bring a ak47, they bring a tank?

Not all are interested in having the biggest or the newest. Yes, the OP limited choices to some very modern, very big guns. Subsequent posts listed very different firearms and the reason for them. For every time I, and those like me, like our older less "glamorous" weapons in discussions, some neophyte reads it and gains knowledge from it.

I understand that there is a very real component to this. I genuinely do have some items put aside for a variety of reasons. And actually own an old Remington 870 12 gauge shotgun that I have customized with some aftermarket parts. I really do own a Springfield M1911 .45ACP. I really do believe these two firearms would serve me well when the SHTF. I would not throw away the other guns I own. But these two are the "go to" guns.

Nice weapons... I really hope the only time you need to use them is for practice.

Not all are interested in having the biggest or the newest. Yes, the OP limited choices to some very modern, very big guns. Subsequent posts listed very different firearms and the reason for them. For every time I, and those like me, like our older less "glamorous" weapons in discussions, some neophyte reads it and gains knowledge from it.

I understand that there is a very real component to this. I genuinely do have some items put aside for a variety of reasons. And actually own an old Remington 870 12 gauge shotgun that I have customized with some aftermarket parts. I really do own a Springfield M1911 .45ACP. I really do believe these two firearms would serve me well when the SHTF. I would not throw away the other guns I own. But these two are the "go to" guns.

As far as crazies in school shooting and whatnot ... Most of them shoot themselves when someone with a firearm shows up on the scene.
The discussion isn't for people who don't know about firearms, dislike firearms or cannot trust in their own ability to properly handle a situation that involves another person with a firearm that doesn't care about your objections.

Like Winterborn said ... Most of the people in this thread that responded to the initial OP with their choices, have several firearms not listed ... And ones they have in different categories of use.

There are SHTF weapons for fast access, easy reliable use and serviceability or reload capabilities.
There are also the weapons they own that would be in a "jump kit" for long-term relocation ... And can range from the reliable Remington 870, Winchester 30/30, Colt Python .357, to the machete.

Some weapons are combat related, while others are better suited for sustenance and routine shooting obligations.
If you are still arguing about the necessity of owning a firearm ... Then you are miles behind people who already own firearms and have moved on to more appropriate concerns about how to handle situations including a firearm when necessary.

It isn't like your input is not welcome ... But more like "no" is not an answer when faced with limited opportunities and nothing to ensure your ability to negotiate other than expected compassion from people you have already labeled as crazy.
Now who is really crazy ... People who want to protect themselves and provide for that protection ... Or people who want to appeal to the sensibilities of the insane?

Presuming SHTF means a breakdown in law and order I believe close-range defensive weapons would be an individual's most logical choice. And because I believe high-capacity automatic weapons have their place I would not choose the AA-12 shotgun as a primary weapon.

While the AA-12 auto shotgun seems to be a good weapon to have on hand to repel a major frontal attack, the ordinary individual's concerns would be considerably less threatening. So my personal choices would be a pump shotgun with extended magazine and a .357 magnum revolver (I don't like automatic pistols).

An AR-15 is a much better choice for a multitude of reasons.
I can drop you at 300 yards..or 10. And while you're busy trying to reload that shotgun,I'm moving up on you so I can get within 150 yards for an easy shot that is still out of effective range of your shotgun.
No way do you want your enemies to get close enough for shotgun use if you can avoid it.
Not to mention the availability of ammo. Which for defense is buckshot and slugs in a shotgun. Those would be hard to find in short order.
5.56 and .223 rounds are everywhere.

The thing you have to remember is you're going to have to leave your house at some point. And with the variety of terrain you would expect to encounter a more versatile weapon would make more sense.

Perhaps you see someone with a gun as a "tough guy". I do not have guns to make me tough or cool, and it has nothing to do with the size of my genitalia. The suggestion that is does shows you to be petty and uninterested in the facts of the discussion. Unfortunately you will have to find another thread to boost you ego. On this one you failed miserably.

Do you think there is no chance that our society will fold up? You are absolutely sure it will continue? And that there is no chance of major collapse or disaster? If so, you are either delusional or need to be on meds.

Surviving is reality. Some people choose to rely on others to get them thru a crisis. Some have seen the folly in that.

I have fire extinguishers, but I have never had a fire in my house. The same rational applies to my preparedness for when the SHTF.

The discussion is based on delusions of fear and insanity and I need to be on meds? WOW. When is the last time you have had to survive? This proves the point. We all sit in our privileged gated communities discussing how we will tough up when the need arises. Talk about delusional. Give me one example that our entitled society is imploding? Real examples, no nut house propaganda!!

Toughen up? I know how to survive in the woods if need be. Buts thats just because I enjoy the outdoors and spend a lot of time in them.
I can shoot straight if that becomes necessary. Because I enjoy a little hunting on occasion mixed with target shooting.

Thats what gets me...you libs act like we're preparing for the apocalypse when in reality
it just happens. One day you realize that if the SHTF you're good.

And if you already have ninety percent of the shit you need to be self reliant? Why the hell not go for the other ten percent for some extra peace of mind?

Just because you're into StarBucks and Green Peace doesn't mean everyone is.

I think I can answer that more truthfully then he will.

It's no different then the jealousy of the left and money. Someone else has more of it,so it cant possibly be fair.
And of course if the SHTF they would become totally defenseless ...and that scares them.

It's no different then the jealousy of the left and money. Someone else has more of it,so it cant possibly be fair.
And of course if the SHTF they would become totally defenseless ...and that scares them.

Believe I already answered his question.. Hopefully you read...

For the record, I'm far from defenseless. Never remembered stating my political affiliation. And I thought this sort of board was about stimulating the noodle. If by not agreeing with all comments means I'm a liberal, then not sure how to respond to that. Sorry that drooling seems better than thinking!! Didn't realize that if you are conservative, that meant you had to be conservative about all issues.

Last edited:

Believe I already answered his question.. Hopefully you read...

For the record, I'm far from defenseless. Never remembered stating my political affiliation. And I thought this sort of board was about stimulating the noodle. If by not agreeing with all comments means I'm a liberal, then not sure how to respond to that. Sorry that drooling seems better than thinking!! Didn't realize that if you are conservative, that meant you had to be conservative about all issues.

You're the one who entered this thread like an a-hole.
Forgive me for jumping to an obvious conclusion.

I find it odd you would go from defining people who owned fire arms for defense as nuts.
To owning an arsenal. Yeah OK....

Forum List

Back