When is a recession not a recession? When the White House says so.

task0778

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2017
Texas hill country
As concerns mount about a possible recession this year, White House National Economic Council director Brian Deese argued that a second consecutive quarter of negative GDP growth was technically “not a recession.”

According to Deese, the “technical definition considers a much broader spectrum of data points.” He also emphasized the need to look ahead rather than “technical debates about backward-looking data.”

CNN “New Day” host John Berman said, “It sounds like you’re anticipating what will be comments from some saying two quarters of negative growth in a row — that’s a recession.”

“Right,” Deese replied. “And certainly, in terms of the technical definition, it’s not a recession. The technical definition considers a much broader spectrum of data points.

On Thursday (28th) the 2nd Quarter GDP numbers will come out and I suspect the data will be negative for Apr-Jun, meaning that the gov't itself actually says we're in a recession. But obviously the politicians on the Left will try to spin everything with rose-colored glasses, as Mr. Deese does in the rest of the interview that you can read in the link. But I think he's wrong, if the 2nd qtr GDP numbers come out negative then technically we ARE in a recession.

As concerns mount about a possible recession this year, White House National Economic Council director Brian Deese argued that a second consecutive quarter of negative GDP growth was technically “not a recession.”

According to Deese, the “technical definition considers a much broader spectrum of data points.” He also emphasized the need to look ahead rather than “technical debates about backward-looking data.”

CNN “New Day” host John Berman said, “It sounds like you’re anticipating what will be comments from some saying two quarters of negative growth in a row — that’s a recession.”

“Right,” Deese replied. “And certainly, in terms of the technical definition, it’s not a recession. The technical definition considers a much broader spectrum of data points.

On Thursday (28th) the 2nd Quarter GDP numbers will come out and I suspect the data will be negative for Apr-Jun, meaning that the gov't itself actually says we're in a recession. But obviously the politicians on the Left will try to spin everything with rose-colored glasses, as Mr. Deese does in the rest of the interview that you can read in the link. But I think he's wrong, if the 2nd qtr GDP numbers come out negative then technically we ARE in a recession.
That’s right, everything is all White now. Biden says so.

The National Bureau of Economic Research (NBER) does not define a recession in terms of two consecutive quarters of decline in real GNP. Rather, a recession is a recurring period of decline in total output, income, employment, and trade, usually lasting from six months to a year, and marked by widespread contractions in many sectors of the economy.

The National Bureau of Economic Research (NBER) does not define a recession in terms of two consecutive quarters of decline in real GNP. Rather, a recession is a recurring period of decline in total output, income, employment, and trade, usually lasting from six months to a year, and marked by widespread contractions in many sectors of the economy.

Word play always helps when a country is being deliberately destroyed. Another distraction to try and hide the truth.

CC796EBD-CFE5-463C-BD7D-0BCE7C5A083E.jpeg

1658861913931.png

One can argue about the specifics of economic growth and how it is measured, many say the GDP calculation that many people use to gauge such things is itself flawed. But IMHO the bottom line is that people feel like we're in a recession regardless of what the gov't says. The usual indicators for a recession seem to be missing but when your purchasing power is dropping for the average American, it's hard to convince them that the economy isn't turning to shit. According to a Morning Consult survey taken earlier this month, 65% or registered voters believe the US is already in a recession.

And on Thursday the Fed is expected to rise the base interest rates up another .75%, and that ain't going to help economic growth either.

Last edited:

How the leftist voters allow them to do, day and get away with this is beyond me.

And yet under Trump after the Chinese and the globaliats hit us with a biological attack in 2020?

A recession in the US is generally defined by the NBER. You don't need 2 consecutive quarters to have a recession....our last recession was just 2 months.

I'd just as soon call it Biden's Fuckup as a recession.

Banana republic style inflation follows banana republic style election theft.... who'd a thunk it? (other than a Venezuelan)

I'd just as soon call it Biden's Fuckup as a recession.

Banana republic style inflation follows banana republic style election theft.... who'd a thunk it? (other than a Venezuelan)

And by 'election theft', you mean your imagination? Because when pressed to back those claims up with credible evidence, your ilk chokes harder the Hillary Clinton.

I'm 'the left wing'? You mean all of it? The whole thing?

Damn. I'm feeling fancy.

Yeah, I'm gonna go with the NBER over your guy on TikTok.
Didn't say YOOOOUUUU!!! Didn't watch the video of the compilation of the entire woke leftist media defining what it is along with democrats and then all of a sudden not now?

Didn't see that?

Weird that our resident money man Mac1958 hasn’t chimed in on this one…he usually loves to play professional money guy.

Weird that our resident money man Mac1958 hasn’t chimed in on this one…he usually loves to play professional money guy.
Amazing how much space I take up in your head.

As I have said in other threads, a recession is defined as two consecutive quarters of negative GDP growth. So, this is a recession. You're welcome.

And this is as far as I will go in trying to discuss economics and markets with Trumpsters.

We're not in a recession. We are in a transitory period.

God Democrat voters are completely stupid.

Forum List

Back