When do the first (east coast) polls close?

Little-Acorn

Gold Member
Jun 20, 2006
San Diego, CA
I saw one article that said some of them close at 6:00 PM Eastern time. That is, 40 minutes ago. Seems pretty early to me - here in PRCalifornia, they close at 8 local time. If the article was right, though, we should be hearing something any time on those races.

The media has an agreement not to publish their exit polls until after all the polls in a state have closed. They adopted it after the major screwup in Floriduh in 2000, when they started broadcasting poll results saying Owlgore had won Florida... when the panhandle polls, in a different time zone from the peninsula, still had an hour to remain open.

some did, but that was just in some areas. a few will close in about 12 minutes. the big wave doesnt start closing till 8pm EST.

I live in the Northeastern US, and with the clocks being turned back an hour last weekend to end daylight savings time, it is currently only 5:56PM in the Eastern time zone where I live.

Well, the local news JUST said that there are still people in line.

It's 6 pm, polls should be closed.

BUT, if people were in line AT 6, they still can vote. They said the last vote here may not be cast until 7:30.

So, this means Indiana can't report anything final until later tonight.

In Florida, lines close at 7 pm - polls close when lines finish. Local news in Palm Beach say it's wrapping up smoothly.

-Joe

Didn't want to get flack for the error. LOL. It's going to be a long night waiting out the election results!

Forum List

Back