When Crap Is Art

ChemEngineer

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2019
Definition of "art":

" n. - something that is created with imagination and skill and that is beautiful or that expresses important ideas or feelings"

Definition of "artifice":

ar·ti·fice - ˈärdəfəs - noun - clever or cunning devices or expedients, especially as used to trick or deceive others. outright fakery

synonyms - trickery, deceit, deception, duplicity, guile, chicanery

November 2017
Salvator Mundi, The Savior of the World, by Leonardo da Vinci
Sold for $450 million - real art, by a talented artist

Jeff Koons’s Giant Play-Doh Sculpture Could Fetch $20 Million at Christie’s This Spring - May 2019 "The work took around two decades to produce as the notoriously perfectionist Koons fiddled with the medium and refined the production process." [And isn't it simply perfect!]​

Jeff Koons, Play-Doh (1994â2012). Courtesy Christie's.

May 2017
"An exciting mixture of sex and violence" say the breathless savants of artifice.

Three Studies of George Dyer by Francis Bacon
$51.77 Million
When you're good, you're good!

La Hara by Basquiat
$35,000,000
May 2017

When Crap Is Art Literally
Giant turd sculptures by the Viennese art collective Gelatin at the Museum Boijmans van Beuningen in Rotterdam, the Netherlands.Credit...Michel de Groot for The New York Times June 17, 2018

The *artists* act idiotic and mirror the crap they produce.
Sick artists and their sick work.jpg

Scripps Turd, San Diego, California

Okeanos, by sculptor William Tucker, commissioned by the Scripps Green Institute for $200,000
Said to be worth $100 to $160 million

-------------------------
More "art" from Willem de Kooning, because after all, he's SO "good".
Montauk Highway
Montauk IV

Interchanged, by Willem de Kooning
$300,000,000

February 26, 2016 purchased by Ken Griffin,
billionaire hedge fund manager, along with No 17A below

No 17A by Jackson Pollock
$200,000,000
February 26, 2016
The word "skill" cannot be associated with such dreck.

Les Femmes d'Alger (Version 'O')
Pablo Picasso
$179,365,000

May 11, 2015

The Bigger Fool Theory

CHARIOT by Alberto Giacometti
$101 million at Sotheby's auction 2014

Black Fire I by Barnett Newman
$84,165,000 at Christie's, 2014
"Black Fire I is a sublime Abstract Expressionist masterpiece that perfectly captures Barnett Newman’s radically reductive and uncompromising aesthetic. The Zen-like simplicity of Black Fire I embodies the spirituality, grandeur and solemnity that define all of Newman’s greatest works."

Would a second black line have added another $10,000,000 to the value of this "masterpiece"?
We will never know.

"Triple Elvis (Ferus Type) by Andy Warhol
$81,925,000 at Christie's 2014

"Three Studies for a Portrait of John Edwards" by Francis Bacon

$80,805,000 at Christie's auction, 2014
To get a better idea of the artistic "talent" of Francis Bacon, this closeup:
1627356706974.png

"Tete" might possibly be justifiably called "art," but
this insane price epitomizes the Greater Fool Theory.
"Tete" by Amedeo Modigliani
$70,400,000 in 2014

1627356683739.png

Scribbles on a chalkboard is "Art"?
$69,000,000?

1627356665145.png

Art is, and always will be subjective. What does not appeal to you may have a great appeal to someone else.

I had a friend who was an artist and a sculptor, and he told me, many years ago, it is art if it moves you or makes you feel something. Whether it moves anyone else or makes anyone else feel something is irrelevant.

Art is, and always will be subjective. What does not appeal to you may have a great appeal to someone else.

I had a friend who was an artist and a sculptor, and he told me, many years ago, it is art if it moves you or makes you feel something. Whether it moves anyone else or makes anyone else feel something is irrelevant.
someone sure had a hell of a bowel movement on those turd sculptures,,,

$69,000,000?
I think these prices not only reflect inflationary pressure but also a massive amount of cash on hand for many people who are looking for somewhere, ANYWHERE to park it and try to save some of it before the global collapse. My daughter plays around with the occasional canvas in her free time. She created a triptych a few years back that looks better than several of these efforts...

Definition of "art":

" n. - something that is created with imagination and skill and that is beautiful or that expresses important ideas or feelings"

Definition of "artifice":

ar·ti·fice - ˈärdəfəs - noun - clever or cunning devices or expedients, especially as used to trick or deceive others. outright fakery

synonyms - trickery, deceit, deception, duplicity, guile, chicanery

November 2017
Salvator Mundi, The Savior of the World, by Leonardo da Vinci
Sold for $450 million - real art, by a talented artist

Jeff Koons’s Giant Play-Doh Sculpture Could Fetch $20 Million at Christie’s This Spring - May 2019 "The work took around two decades to produce as the notoriously perfectionist Koons fiddled with the medium and refined the production process." [And isn't it simply perfect!]

Jeff Koons, Play-Doh (1994â2012). Courtesy Christie's.'s.

May 2017
"An exciting mixture of sex and violence" say the breathless savants of artifice.

Three Studies of George Dyer by Francis Bacon
$51.77 Million
When you're good, you're good!

La Hara by Basquiat
$35,000,000
May 2017

When Crap Is Art Literally
Giant turd sculptures by the Viennese art collective Gelatin at the Museum Boijmans van Beuningen in Rotterdam, the Netherlands.Credit...Michel de Groot for The New York Times June 17, 2018

The *artists* act idiotic and mirror the crap they produce.
View attachment 517775
Scripps Turd, San Diego, California

Okeanos, by sculptor William Tucker, commissioned by the Scripps Green Institute for $200,000
Said to be worth $100 to $160 million

-------------------------
More "art" from Willem de Kooning, because after all, he's SO "good".
Montauk Highway
Montauk IV

Interchanged, by Willem de Kooning
$300,000,000

February 26, 2016 purchased by Ken Griffin,
billionaire hedge fund manager, along with No 17A below

No 17A by Jackson Pollock
$200,000,000
February 26, 2016
The word "skill" cannot be associated with such dreck.

Les Femmes d'Alger (Version 'O')
Pablo Picasso
$179,365,000

May 11, 2015

The Bigger Fool Theory

CHARIOT by Alberto Giacometti
$101 million at Sotheby's auction 2014

Black Fire I by Barnett Newman
$84,165,000 at Christie's, 2014
"Black Fire I is a sublime Abstract Expressionist masterpiece that perfectly captures Barnett Newman’s radically reductive and uncompromising aesthetic. The Zen-like simplicity of Black Fire I embodies the spirituality, grandeur and solemnity that define all of Newman’s greatest works."

Would a second black line have added another $10,000,000 to the value of this "masterpiece"?
We will never know.

"Triple Elvis (Ferus Type) by Andy Warhol
$81,925,000 at Christie's 2014

"Three Studies for a Portrait of John Edwards" by Francis Bacon

$80,805,000 at Christie's auction, 2014
To get a better idea of the artistic "talent" of Francis Bacon, this closeup:
View attachment 517779
"Tete" might possibly be justifiably called "art," but
this insane price epitomizes the Greater Fool Theory.
"Tete" by Amedeo Modigliani
$70,400,000 in 2014

View attachment 517778

$69,000,000?

View attachment 517777
What's your point? That you don't like some of it? Don't buy it then.

modern art...black canvas #39...i swear i couldnt help but wonder what went wrong with the first 38...i love dali...some dont....i am not much for Rembrandt however...i love modern art but some of it does push the limits...and yet...some artists are overboard and genius...
robert mapplethorpe is both beautiful and shocking depending on what you are seeing...his flowers are true works of art...his gay and bondage shots are too but not for most

Mapplethorpe shoved a bullwhip up his ass and took a picture. "Art", subsidized by taxpayers and suffered by impressionable children who are led to believe by some loony leftists that they aren't the sex they were born.

"Art" is a term used loosely, as in a bowel movement.

Last edited:
A couple of years ago the radical art world featured an offensive rendition of Christ on the Cross upside down in simulated urine called "Christ Piss". The Christian icon Virgin Mary was featured smeared with dung. This was so unspeakably offensive to Christians that it defies explanation but nobody rioted and nobody was attacked. Let's see the chickenshit sissie strap on dick artist community try to get away with insulting Mohammed.

A couple of years ago the radical art world featured an offensive rendition of Christ on the Cross upside down in simulated urine called "Christ Piss". The Christian icon Virgin Mary was featured smeared with dung. This was so unspeakably offensive to Christians that it defies explanation but nobody rioted and nobody was attacked. Let's see the chickenshit sissie strap on dick artist community try to get away with insulting Mohammed.
The name of the offensive trash was Piss Christ.
I went to the Sawdust Festival in Laguna Beach, California where one jerk had made a ceramic of a priest with the caption "Come here little boy." Laguna is a huge homosexual enclave so I felt sure this "artist" was homo. I confronted him and the director of the Sawdust Festival and pointed out that every priest who molested boys was necessarily homosexual. Oh my, that set them all off.

Once upon a time, homos were correctly called perverts. Now they all expect to be revered.
Sick, and a sin.

There is always that person who goes to the restaurant, and if the Somollier tells them they are drinking great wine, they are drinking great wine, even if it is vinegar.

Precious few people in the world will tell that sommolier it is actually vinegar they are drinking.

Of those in the opening post the only one I like is the one by Jackson Pollock. Not that I would pay more than $500 for any piece of art.

The Pablo Picasso stuff was really popular in the early 60's. My dentist had some reproductions hanging in his waiting room back at the time. I still detest Picasso's art with a passion.

1627493462164.png

Of those in the opening post the only one I like is the one by Jackson Pollock. Not that I would pay more than $500 for any piece of art.

You have my sympathy. Paint flung onto canvas is artifice, NOT "art."

New Topics

Forum List

Back