What's The Message The Republican Party Is Sending By NOT Attending The Selma 50 Year Anniversary?

Do you agree with the Republican's decision not to attend Selma's Bloody Sunday 50-year anniversary?

• I'm a conservative and I do not agree with it.

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • I'm a conservative and I agree with it.

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • I'm a liberal and I do not agree with it.

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • I'm a liberal and I agree with it.

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
What was the Clinton's reason for not attending? Political?
My republican Rep was there......George Bush was there......
Troll thread.

What's The Message The Republican Party Is Sending By NOT Attending The Selma 50 Year Anniversary?

Uummmm........ we don't wanna get shot? :dunno:

:lol:
Hey not wit! The GOP was there you racist moron.
Was it political? If so, what gain does it give them and why? Do you agree w/them not attending? Would you have done the same in their position? Lastly, do you think what they've done improves race relations w/the black community? Why/why not?

I'd like to hear particularly from the conservatives, Republican and rightwingers of the board.
Former President Bush was there as the representitive of the GOP
Stupid troll thread

Love the Denzel avatar

Malcolm X said black were chumps and traitors to their race for supporting Democrats. Ironic OP to say the least
You people turn every frikken thing into hate for politics

it's disgusting and you party is disgusting for using Selma for their own agenda
I'd like to get your votes on this guys.

So what do you say...?
Don't know about the others but by including mine I can only assume your funny-bone is broke....... :D

It doesn't work that way hack, answer the question or forget it.

If you can't clarify your OP title, it isn't much of a question.

But we have come to expect that from your posts.

Again, to you, who would count as "The Republican Party"
The Republican Party in general.

Not just 1 or two.

And until I see some documentation that the two were sent as "representatives" I don't buy it.

So will you answer the question in the OP please?

Still not enough information. Who was invited? Who ran it? Why doesn't an Ex-president count?
Marty, that is ONE person.
What happened to ALL of TODAY'S Republicans in Congress?

You expected every congressperson to show up? did every democratic congressperson show up? Did 25%? Did 50%

Also his wife was there, and she is a former first lady, and probably a Republican as well.

And it turns out a few others were there as well.

Fact Check Were There Really No GOP Leaders at the 50th Anniversary Event in Selma Ben Swann Truth In Media

NBC News correspondent Maria Shriver fired out a tweet from the March 7 Selma, AL commemoration of the 50th anniversary of Bloody Sunday, a turning point in the civil rights movement, and accused GOP leaders of skipping the event, despite the fact that the list of Republicans in attendance included congressmen, senators, the House Majority Leader, and the chairman of the Republican National Committee.
So it's say to say that according to martybegan of USMB, the GOP represented themselves well at the 50 Year Anniversary of Selma's Bloody Sunday?

Troll thread.

Was it political? If so, what gain does it give them and why? Do you agree w/them not attending? Would you have done the same in their position? Lastly, do you think what they've done improves race relations w/the black community? Why/why not?

I'd like to hear particularly from the conservatives, Republican and rightwingers of the board.
Stupid troll thread

Love the Denzel avatar

Malcolm X said black were chumps and traitors to their race for supporting Democrats. Ironic OP to say the least

it's disgusting and you party is disgusting for using Selma for their own agenda

So what do you say...?

Your poll is wrong, I can't vote in it.

Troll thread.

Stupid troll thread

Love the Denzel avatar

So what do you say...?

Your poll does not legitimize an illegitimate thread.
What makes it "illegitimate?" Please explain.

It starts with a false premise. It pretends that the GOP wasn't there and that is false. Therefore it's an illegitimate poll.

If you can't clarify your OP title, it isn't much of a question.

But we have come to expect that from your posts.

Again, to you, who would count as "The Republican Party"

Not just 1 or two.

And until I see some documentation that the two were sent as "representatives" I don't buy it.

Still not enough information. Who was invited? Who ran it? Why doesn't an Ex-president count?

You expected every congressperson to show up? did every democratic congressperson show up? Did 25%? Did 50%

Also his wife was there, and she is a former first lady, and probably a Republican as well.

Fact Check Were There Really No GOP Leaders at the 50th Anniversary Event in Selma Ben Swann Truth In Media

NBC News correspondent Maria Shriver fired out a tweet from the March 7 Selma, AL commemoration of the 50th anniversary of Bloody Sunday, a turning point in the civil rights movement, and accused GOP leaders of skipping the event, despite the fact that the list of Republicans in attendance included congressmen, senators, the House Majority Leader, and the chairman of the Republican National Committee.
So it's say to say that according to martybegan of USMB, the GOP represented themselves well at the 50 Year Anniversary of Selma's Bloody Sunday?

So you have changed your stand from the GOP wasn't even there, to "in my opinion they didn'trepresent themselves well enough"?

Go away dumbass troll.

Troll thread.

Stupid troll thread

Love the Denzel avatar

So what do you say...?

What's wrong with it? How would you fix it?

Troll thread.

Stupid troll thread

Love the Denzel avatar

So what do you say...?

What's wrong with it? How would you fix it?

It can't be fixed. It is based on a lie. Take the lie away and you have no reason to poll anyone.

Not just 1 or two.

So you have changed your stand from the GOP wasn't even there, to "in my opinion they didn'trepresent themselves well enough"?

Go away dumbass troll.

That's not what I said. You're spinning, buck dancing even...as usual.

So continue to dance, dance for me boy....DANCE!!!

lens6619742_1251221630buck_dancer.jpg

Seems we have some blatant out-and-out liars in here, at least ONE blatant liar.

The OP never said NO ONE that is Republican attended, it said the Republican Party DIDN'T attend.

See the difference?

That you have to spin, and twist, and buck and squirm to defend says all that needs to be said about the matter.

Go away dumbass troll.

That's not what I said. You're spinning, buck dancing even...as usual.

So continue to dance, dance for me boy....DANCE!!!

lens6619742_1251221630buck_dancer.jpg

Whatever dumbass troll. You are wrong, the GOP was there, you are just a racist retard.

Seems we have some blatant out-and-out liars in here, at least ONE blatant liar.

The OP never said NO ONE that is Republican attended, it said the Republican Party DIDN'T attend.

See the difference?

That you have to spin, and twist, and buck and squirm to defend says all that needs to be said about the matter.

So what? The Democrat party didn't either. Go away troll.

1 or 2 sprinkled GOPers = "the GOP."

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

49izadw.gif

George and Laura Bush was there but the NYT cut them out of the picture. Nothing political about that.

Maybe you could explain what the event accomplished. I'd really like to know.
Why not simply answer the question?

There's a poll I'd like to get your vote on as well.

Thanks.
A question is often answered best with another question. You asked why they didn't attend (a presumption of guilt that wasn't true) so I asked what the event really accomplished. Can you answer?

George and Laura Bush was there but the NYT cut them out of the picture. Nothing political about that.

Thanks.
A question is often answered best with another question. You asked why they didn't attend (a presumption of guilt that wasn't true) so I asked what the event really accomplished. Can you answer?
What does commemorating the Holocaust accomplish weasel?

Here's what 1 of the few GOP attendees, Levin McCarthy, tweeted about the event...

"Great to be in #Selma today for the 50th anniversary of the march across the Edmund Pettus Bridge, a turning point in our nation's history."

Imagine if there were more GOPers there, walking hand in hand w/all the other attendees.

Can you imagine a more unifying picture than that? Particularly at this time?

If there's ONE thing you can count on the GOP to do...they never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity.

Last edited:

Thanks.

Here's what 1 of the few GOP attendees, Levin McCarthy, tweeted about the event...

"Great to be in #Selma today for the 50th anniversary of the march across the Edmund Pettus Bridge, a turning point in our nation's history."

Imagine if there were more GOPers there, walking hand in hand w/all the other attendees.

If there's ONE thing you can count on the GOP to do...they never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity.
About 6 million Jews died so it stands to reason just about everyone lost family. How is that the same as Selma? And what political agenda is pushed during a Holocaust memorial? Do they throw in gay "rights" while they are at it?

What opportunity did the Republican party miss? Speeches about something that was correct a half century ago? Seriously? How many miles would they need to crawl on their knees for you? And why should they ?

Thanks.

And they missed this opportunity for several obvious reasons IMO:

*The majority of those in attendance did not represent the base of voters who support them. Collectively, there was nothing in it for them to be in attendance.

*President Obama was the keynote speaker. They could not be seen in masse in public in support of the same event as him. That would be totally out of character.

*Lastly. The Voting Rights Act, Within their party, there is currently growing support, especially in the backward south to repeal the very act that the commemoration was celebrating.

Personally, I have a connection to the celebration, because my own parents and grandparents were there in 1965 and "took a few" for the team. I think it was just fine that GOP was NOT there in abundance. The republicans of today are not those of yesteryear, when there were some liberal republicans.

At least they weren't disingenuous about where they stand, and it was a better celebration with their absence.

Would have been kind of like Colonel Saunders showing up at a chickens birthday party. JMO.

Last edited:
fuck the Selma rally at this point..

kiss black people's asses or else you are a racist

what else is new?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back