what's best for me to raise money fast for my company?, Private placement, IPO?

52ndStreet

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2008
I Need your input US Messageboard readers. Whats best for me to raise capital for my companies? Private placements, or IPO's ? Your thoughts? I don't have money for Corporate attorneys either.

I Need your input US Messageboard readers. Whats best for me to raise capital for my companies? Private placements, or IPO's ? Your thoughts? I don't have money for Corporate attorneys either.
IPO will take a year or more
You can reach out to venture capitalists but be prepared to give up control of the business

Is it possible you could try the SBA?

Advertise for a "silent partner".

People used to be able to help start small businesses by getting an investor that is busy with other things, and they would just basically be a "silent partner" as long as you kept the business in the black.

I don't know if that would work nowadays with all the extreme greedmongering going on.

If you are asking a bunch of anonymous strangers on a pollical forum this question, it is clear you have never owned a business in your life

If you don't have money for an attorney, you need to stay the hell away from issuing stocks. Unless you are a closely held single member/member s-corp who is talking about having another individual/owner come in, you can easily screw up hugely and expensively with stock sales. Using the mail, a telephone or the internet as part of a private placement issuance can throw that into a deal that requires registering the securities. There are some very sharp curves with no guardrails you have to avoid with private placement because it has been an area so flush with fraud.

A bank loan is the only way you realistically can raise money fast for your company. Or you can sell the company if it is worth anything.

Fastest way is business crowdfunding. Google it. Look for an angel investor group in your area, too, but you'll need a verifiable track record and solid books.

If you're looking for funding and not a loan, though, get ready to give up a lot of equity, maybe even over 50%. Think Shark Tank.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back