Whatever happened to the highbrow forum idea?

Don’t screw this place up, it is one of the few forums I have not been banned or even infracted on!

Besides even Socrates often got pissed while he perused his sacred art of conversation, see the Symposium. While Alcibiades and others fell flat drunk on their faces dreaming about knocking the phallus' off Hermes statues Socrates kept up the upper crust of the conversation.

You have to have profane to even know what sacred is.

Last edited:
Don’t screw this place up, it is one of the few forums I have not been banned or even infracted on!

Besides even Socrates often got pissed while he perused his sacred art of conversation, see the Symposium. While Alcibiades and others fell flat drunk on their faces dreaming about knocking the phallus' off Hermes statues Socrates kept up the upper crust of the conversation.

So, now you're comparing yourself to Socrates?

WTF ARE YOU DRINKING?????.:razz:

Frogen is our own drunken philosopher.

As the bottle gets lower, the thoughts get more profound.

Frogen is our own drunken philosopher.

As the bottle gets lower, the thoughts get more profound.

Yes, I've noticed.

Socrates is number one on the list of historical figures I would want to get pissed with. (Vikings and Mongels are too much work.)

Toward the end of the evening we could even lift up our tunics and compare our dialecdicks.

Hey, hey, hey! Crimson brought it up!

I'm not necessarily talking about smarts, but the tendency of trolling, baiting and other shit counter-productive to efficient information exchange.

(But, yeah, I guess I am a snob in some ways.)

Adults should mod themselves: We have the Ignore Option.

Ahhh, if only the world or even just this board worked that way.

Board Members can use the Ignore Feature.

Here's what I use in The World:

[youtube]4H5GepjBRsM[/youtube]

Socrates is number one on the list of historical figures I would want to get pissed with. (Vikings and Mongels are too much work.)

Toward the end of the evening we could even lift up our tunics and compare our dialecdicks.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_WRFJwGsbY[/ame]

Back atcha. Lumpy1 and I actually share all the same views. I just prefer more fiery language. The high brow forum would be like attending a Christmas party at my doctor's house which I am doing this evening. Yawn. Pray for another 6 inches of snow!

I've been kind of holding back on the fiery language but I think Lumpy will come alive fairly soon. Something been wrong with me lately, I'm constantly in a good mood. Grumpy Lumpy is bound to show up sooner or latter...:lol:

Has it been shit canned?

Even though I'd rarely go there, I'm starting to think it would be a good idea.

A forum for intellectual debate with strict rules against personal attacks and perhaps even a naughty word filter (assuming they can be forum specific). I'd even suggest policing the language and tone used to attack politicians.

I think some people find it difficult to hang with the no holds barred nature most of us like and have cultivated here, and in the spirit of inclusion, perhaps the more sensitive members should have a refuge of their own.

Where you going to find all those neutral mods. to police it?

I know that I've written posts that seem perfectly calm and reasonable with a humorous overtone and you'd think I'd punched granny on the nose.

Which granny? Moi? I don't think you're one whom I've found offensive. Chanel, who thanked you for this, yes. Occasionally s/he's over the top.

I actually try not to be offensive, low level swearing, respect the ladies, try to have a humorous tone, be gentlemanly. Alas, humor in the face of bitterness is not fully appreciated it seems.
Now Chanel, you don't seem to fully appreciate the well timed and appropriate blend of class, humor and surprisingly fiery content. A savored blend indeed for any true connoisseur.

You know, Gunny and I have discussed this idea on several on several occasions. It was made clear to me that I would be responsible for the forum and I even so far as to draw up a set of rules. However, with our current population at USMB, I just don't think it would work. The only way to enforce such a forum would be to delete posts, issue in fractions and ban the hell out of users. I just don't want to create that kind of environment here, even if it limited to just one forum. That is why I haven't pressed the issue.

I can't speak for anyone else, but as one of the more vulgar and flame throwing trolls around, I know I'd have no problem respecting the stricter rules of such a sub-forum. But I see your point.

Another possibility, which may or may not be more work, is to have a moderator review and approve posts before they actually get posted. That would really cut down on the number of posts in violation, since people would know it's never going to see the light of day. Not to mention that it would discourage nonsense participation as nobody posting nonsense wants to have to wait to see it.

Lumpy1 - you made my day. Again.

I come on here to be enlightened and entertained. When it gets too angry or personal I move along. And the high brow forum would bore me. Too many conflicting statistics, nitpicking over sources, and PC b.s.hurts my head. I've been hanging out in a high school too long. Arguing the dress code and use of the bathroom pass is all the intellectual debate I can handle in a day. Lol

Interesting dialogue. Usually when you are called [ fill in pejorative here ] you are winning or at least stirring the pot. If we shift to social correctness I may not know how I am doing? There are a few people here, with five words replies, who would have nothing to say if they couldn't call you ....

Yeah, but it takes a really talented SOB like me to insult someone ( fill in pejorative here ) AND show that they are dumb as a box of dicks.

ROTFL! Proof the driving version of a DUI can apply to a board....call it the PUI or PWI.

Interesting dialogue. Usually when you are called [ fill in pejorative here ] you are winning or at least stirring the pot. If we shift to social correctness I may not know how I am doing? There are a few people here, with five words replies, who would have nothing to say if they couldn't call you ....

Yeah, but it takes a really talented SOB like me to insult someone ( fill in pejorative here ) AND show that they are dumb as a box of dicks.

ROTFL! Proof the driving version of a DUI can apply to a board....call it the PUI or PWI.

You tired of being the example of what I said? Is that why you're whining?

Another possibility, which may or may not be more work, is to have a moderator review and approve posts before they actually get posted. That would really cut down on the number of posts in violation, since people would know it's never going to see the light of day. Not to mention that it would discourage nonsense participation as nobody posting nonsense wants to have to wait to see it.

Plus, it would accelerate the need for moderators to be institutionalized.:tongue:

Agree and concur:

Nothing like putting together a well researched and thoughtful post about the Meaning of Life, and then have some moron bury it under three posts that are each 1000 words long, cut-and-pasted from SF or MoveOn or some Jihaddi's Blog.:evil:

Works both ways, bud. New here? Oops, yes, you are.

I can always tell those that haven't acheived much in their personal lives by how much importance they place on their message board membership.

Oops, yes, you are.

That coming from someone who's already posted nearly 800 times in less than two weeks. I'm retired and have lots more time than I was ever able to enjoy before, so that's my excuse. Yours?

I can always tell those that haven't acheived much in their personal lives by how much importance they place on their message board membership.

Oops, yes, you are.

That coming from someone who's already posted nearly 800 times in less than two weeks. I'm retired and have lots more time than I was ever able to enjoy before, so that's my excuse. Yours?
He can walk and chew gum at the same time. Amazing, huh? You're never too old to strive for something, though, Maggie.

You know, Gunny and I have discussed this idea on several on several occasions. It was made clear to me that I would be responsible for the forum and I even so far as to draw up a set of rules. However, with our current population at USMB, I just don't think it would work. The only way to enforce such a forum would be to delete posts, issue in fractions and ban the hell out of users. I just don't want to create that kind of environment here, even if it limited to just one forum. That is why I haven't pressed the issue.

Understandable. What I would like to see deleted, however, are posts between two or three people just bashing on each other and which lends zero to the subject matter. I never mind when a thread goes off topic, but the petty in-fighting gets to be absurd. Who gives a shit whether one poster hates another one over something posted long ago in another dimension?

A perfect example is this stupid exchange, starting about midway through yesterday evening. Can't those posts get deleted? Or at least a PM warning that in the future they will be?

[thread=98235]give em hell howard[/thread]

Oops, yes, you are.

LMAO!!!:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Could you try to do more to fit your steroetype?

I wish I had time to sweat out the details with you, but I have a life beyond counting posts.

Forum List

Back