Whatever happened to the highbrow forum idea?

Interesting dialogue. Usually when you are called [ fill in pejorative here ] you are winning or at least stirring the pot. If we shift to social correctness I may not know how I am doing? There are a few people here, with five words replies, who would have nothing to say if they couldn't call you ....

Or you are a total waste of resources and just need to be shit on occasionally.:eusa_eh:

Has it been shit canned?

Even though I'd rarely go there, I'm starting to think it would be a good idea.

A forum for intellectual debate with strict rules against personal attacks and perhaps even a naughty word filter (assuming they can be forum specific). I'd even suggest policing the language and tone used to attack politicians.

I think some people find it difficult to hang with the no holds barred nature most of us like and have cultivated here, and in the spirit of inclusion, perhaps the more sensitive members should have a refuge of their own.
:confused:

I post in it every day. Perhaps it is invisible to you...I wondered why you avoided it.

:eusa_whistle:

Lately I've been flaming like a super nuke fueled jackass but it's mainly out of realizing the frustrations of faux debates. That is not an excuse, it's the reason. When I see a thread is fed by more of an interest in things other than the topic I basically say fuck it and flame away. In short, the highbrow forum would be a great place to weed out honest discourse from the.....other stuff.

This was posted this morning:

Go back up yo momma's ass

You're such a retarded failed abortion turd...

You ignorant gomer shit pile.

Yeah, he's really all for high-brow debate, isn't he?

Nice. I'm impressed. I especially like the momma shot.

Hey curvelight .... NO family, huh? Feel free to take a moment to readdress the forum rules.

Thanks.

Has it been shit canned?

Even though I'd rarely go there, I'm starting to think it would be a good idea.

A forum for intellectual debate with strict rules against personal attacks and perhaps even a naughty word filter (assuming they can be forum specific). I'd even suggest policing the language and tone used to attack politicians.

I think some people find it difficult to hang with the no holds barred nature most of us like and have cultivated here, and in the spirit of inclusion, perhaps the more sensitive members should have a refuge of their own.

Where you going to find all those neutral mods. to police it?

I know that I've written posts that seem perfectly calm and reasonable with a humorous overtone and you'd think I'd punched granny on the nose.

Which granny? Moi? I don't think you're one whom I've found offensive. Chanel, who thanked you for this, yes. Occasionally s/he's over the top.

Lately I've been flaming like a super nuke fueled jackass but it's mainly out of realizing the frustrations of faux debates. That is not an excuse, it's the reason. When I see a thread is fed by more of an interest in things other than the topic I basically say fuck it and flame away. In short, the highbrow forum would be a great place to weed out honest discourse from the.....other stuff.

When the topic veers off course it's usually because almost everything discussed, politically, is intertwined these days.

☭proletarian☭;1823620 said:
I think that there should also be a parallel low-brow forum where non-intellectuals can make posts and talk about what is being discussed by their high-falutin' brethren.

The High-Brow Forum

book-club.jpg

The Parallel Forum

0421JAX02_BikerBar.jpg

Are you callin' bikers stupid?

biker.jpg

Is that SOA's HQ? Jax rules.

And I thanked you too Maggie for the compliment. Over the top is far more interesting than below par. I appreciate that you read my posts. Have a nice day and don't punch any grannies in the nose, k?

Agree and concur:

Nothing like putting together a well researched and thoughtful post about the Meaning of Life, and then have some moron bury it under three posts that are each 1000 words long, cut-and-pasted from SF or MoveOn or some Jihaddi's Blog.:evil:

Works both ways, bud. New here? Oops, yes, you are.

IDK, Mag. I just went on Google images for a picture of a biker :lol:

And I thanked you too Maggie for the compliment. Over the top is far more interesting than below par. I appreciate that you read my posts. Have a nice day and don't punch any grannies in the nose, k?

Actually, 'tis the season, so I'm trying to be kinder. One of these years, I'll learn to carry it over to the other 11 months.
:beer:

Back atcha. Lumpy1 and I actually share all the same views. I just prefer more fiery language. The high brow forum would be like attending a Christmas party at my doctor's house which I am doing this evening. Yawn. Pray for another 6 inches of snow!

Agree and concur:

Nothing like putting together a well researched and thoughtful post about the Meaning of Life, and then have some moron bury it under three posts that are each 1000 words long, cut-and-pasted from SF or MoveOn or some Jihaddi's Blog.:evil:

Works both ways, bud. New here? Oops, yes, you are.

I can always tell those that haven't acheived much in their personal lives by how much importance they place on their message board membership.

Oops, yes, you are.

You know, Gunny and I have discussed this idea on several on several occasions. It was made clear to me that I would be responsible for the forum and I even so far as to draw up a set of rules. However, with our current population at USMB, I just don't think it would work. The only way to enforce such a forum would be to delete posts, issue in fractions and ban the hell out of users. I just don't want to create that kind of environment here, even if it limited to just one forum. That is why I haven't pressed the issue.

Interesting dialogue. Usually when you are called [ fill in pejorative here ] you are winning or at least stirring the pot. If we shift to social correctness I may not know how I am doing? There are a few people here, with five words replies, who would have nothing to say if they couldn't call you ....

Yeah, but it takes a really talented SOB like me to insult someone ( fill in pejorative here ) AND show that they are dumb as a box of dicks.

You know, Gunny and I have discussed this idea on several on several occasions. It was made clear to me that I would be responsible for the forum and I even so far as to draw up a set of rules. However, with our current population at USMB, I just don't think it would work. The only way to enforce such a forum would be to delete posts, issue in fractions and ban the hell out of users. I just don't want to create that kind of environment here, even if it limited to just one forum. That is why I haven't pressed the issue.
I can see the infractions and banning as a problem. But, maybe don't delete posts or issue infractions. Perhaps just start a garbage thread and move nonsensical trolls, baits, and debate violations to the garbage thread (in the lame zone, maybe, so that they get no responses).

It would require a lot of moderation, though, considering the population, as you said.

I can see the infractions and banning as a problem. But, maybe don't delete posts or issue infractions. Perhaps just start a garbage thread and move nonsensical trolls, baits, and debate violations to the garbage thread (in the lame zone, maybe, so that they get no responses).

It would require a lot of moderation, though, considering the population, as you said.

oh poo on you Modo-----snob lady ! :lol:

Hey, hey, hey! Crimson brought it up!

I'm not necessarily talking about smarts, but the tendency of trolling, baiting and other shit counter-productive to efficient information exchange.

(But, yeah, I guess I am a snob in some ways.)

I'm not necessarily talking about smarts, but the tendency of trolling, baiting and other shit counter-productive to efficient information exchange.

Adults should mod themselves: We have the Ignore Option.

Adults should mod themselves: We have the Ignore Option.

Ahhh, if only the world or even just this board worked that way.

Forum List

Back