What would you do?

Sounds to me like you're a jealous control freak and sociopath.

Your wife wants to help her elderly sister after a devastating auto accident, and you are completely mad and angry that she would give even 1 fucking second of attention to her horribly injured elderly sister in desperate need of help rather than you, because you're a control freak and a sociopath.

You're a disgusting piece of shit.

Have you ever had to deal with an alcoholic family member?
My brother's a major drunk and it was sad to watch him go from making six figures to living in my house for free for two years.
Of course when we let him move in he said he'd pay us six hundred bucks a month which is dirt cheap for what he got.
Free cable and internet,use of the swimming pool and hot tub and the Wife bought his brand of beer for him.
At the time he was managing my mothers money and it turned out he ripped her off for around 95k.
When we finally kicked him out my mother put up 30k to buy a house for him and he never paid her a dime.
In the end the Wife and I had to pay for my mothers assisted living for a couple years since my brother had robbed her blind.
We spent thousands on his legal bills when he got a DUI with his 12 year old daughter in the car while he was at Big Bend National park,a vacation that the Wife and I had paid for but we couldnt use do to work requirements so we let him go rather than get a refund. We did everything we could to help him out after his divorce and this is how he paid us back,by fucking us over.
I no longer speak to him.

This is what you get when you try and help a drunk.
They'd be better off if you just told them no from the get go and let them hit rock bottom.

It sounds like the elderly sister has the means to go to an assisted living facility until she healed up if she wanted to.
I'd be willing to bet she doesnt want to do that because as was mentioned they aren't going to let her drink.
If he does break down and takes her in it would be a miserable experience if they refused to enable her to drink.

Have you ever had to deal with an alcoholic family member?
My brother's a major drunk and it was sad to watch him go from making six figures to living in my house for free for two years.
Of course when we let him move in he said he'd pay us six hundred bucks a month which is dirt cheap for what he got.
Free cable and internet,use of the swimming pool and hot tub and the Wife bought his brand of beer for him.
At the time he was managing my mothers money and it turned out he ripped her off for around 95k.
When we finally kicked him out my mother put up 30k to buy a house for him and he never paid her a dime.
In the end the Wife and I had to pay for my mothers assisted living for a couple years since my brother had robbed her blind.
We spent thousands on his legal bills when he got a DUI with his 12 year old daughter in the car while he was at Big Bend National park,a vacation that the Wife and I had paid for but we couldnt use do to work requirements so we let him go rather than get a refund. We did everything we could to help him out after his divorce and this is how he paid us back,by fucking us over.
I no longer speak to him.

This is what you get when you try and help a drunk.
They'd be better off if you just told them no from the get go and let them hit rock bottom.

It sounds like the elderly sister has the means to go to an assisted living facility until she healed up if she wanted to.
I'd be willing to bet she doesnt want to do that because as was mentioned they aren't going to let her drink.
If he does break down and takes her in it would be a miserable experience if they refused to enable her to drink.
My sister dead at 56. Drank since a teenager. I never bought her what she wanted. Her husband did. Nobody abandoned her. She died with a fractured arm that was irrepairable. I still loved her. Not everyone has a shitty story.

My sister dead at 56. Drank since a teenager. I never bought her what she wanted. Her husband did. Nobody abandoned her. She died with a fractured arm that was irrepairable. I still loved her. Not everyone has a shitty story.

But was she a burden on everyone that knew her?
How the hell do you die from a broken arm?

I struggled about where to put this.

My wife has a sister that is 62 years old. She is a chronic, textbook alcoholic. She had a male partner about the same age that was also alcohol addicted. He dropped dead about five years ago. She has been living alone way up in the sticks and has a job as a computer technition at a medical center. She lived in California for decades but wore our her welcome in the state. Her reputation was so bad that she was on a do not hire list.

When I say an alcoholic I mean clinically to the point of being blind drunk every night. She has some friends a few miles away that had a dinner on Labor Day and she went to their house on a four-wheeler on a dirt road. She left plastered and crashed the four-wheeler destroying her right leg to the point that she has pins in it from her heel to her hip. She had to be airlifted to Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center by helicopter. Luckily someone saw her in the road and called an ambulance.

They were supposed to remove the pins today but decided to wait a week. Unbelievably, the hospital is going to release her until they remove the pins. She wants my wife to pick her up and bring her to her house where she can get more booze.

My wife talked to someone at the hospital to make sure it was an official decision and apparently it was. She cannot walk or get around by herself and my wife works. I want my wife to call that hospital and make it clear what the situation is. What would you do?
The absolute best way to deal with this is to; convince your wife that her sister will eventually die from causes relating to her alcoholism; make sure she is always well supplied with booze, but don't take her in any longer than necessary, or at all if possible. Helping her overcome her addiction is out of the question (the odds of success are virtually nil). Everyone will be resigned to her eventual fate, and that should bring some peace.

My wife has a sister that is 62 years old. She is a chronic, textbook alcoholic. She had a male partner about the same age that was also alcohol addicted. He dropped dead about five years ago. She has been living alone way up in the sticks and has a job as a computer technition at a medical center. She lived in California for decades but wore our her welcome in the state. Her reputation was so bad that she was on a do not hire list.

When I say an alcoholic I mean clinically to the point of being blind drunk every night. She has some friends a few miles away that had a dinner on Labor Day and she went to their house on a four-wheeler on a dirt road. She left plastered and crashed the four-wheeler destroying her right leg to the point that she has pins in it from her heel to her hip. She had to be airlifted to Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center by helicopter. Luckily someone saw her in the road and called an ambulance.

They were supposed to remove the pins today but decided to wait a week. Unbelievably, the hospital is going to release her until they remove the pins. She wants my wife to pick her up and bring her to her house where she can get more booze.

My wife talked to someone at the hospital to make sure it was an official decision and apparently it was. She cannot walk or get around by herself and my wife works. I want my wife to call that hospital and make it clear what the situation is. What would you do?

If it was me, I would take her in for that week. Any chance of a home health aid coming by to see her?

If she is an alcoholic and has not taken any breaks for awhile then she is not going to make it too much longer. I don't know how I would handle the alcohol. I could say that I wasn't going to get it for her but then again............she is an adult. Time is kind of limited. If she is that hard core of a drinker then I'm surprised there has been nothing stated about liver failure. That is some hard core stuff to deal with.

Maybe speak directly to a social worker? It seems any hospital should be able to put you in contact with one or even the police.

Something else to consider is if that if maybe she was in jail for a while she would be forced to dry out and take a more sober look at her life. After all driving a four-wheeler intoxicated like that is a DUI. Did she get one? She probably should have. And a few more incidents like that could put her behind bars for a little while. It might be just what she needs, just a little time in a minimum security facility.

What would I do? If I were the sober one or the blind drunk one? Some situations make one easily corruptible, in such scenarios I do whatever I must to distance myself from the things that corrupt.

Forum List

Back