What would you do?

I don't know what to do....since I have no idea what to do....I would send her to a clinic or hospital where they treat addicts, alcohol and all that...

So hopefully they can help her there.....they know how to treat those people....they might save her!

Wish you the best.

You didn't even understand the OPs first post.
You actually thought the Docs were going to remove the pins from her leg after a week.
That makes you one stupid mother fucker.
OP >>"They were supposed to remove the pins today but decided to wait a week."

My reply >> "If she is a drunk, and has pins in her leg (fractured) only for one week, I can't imagine she would be healed enough to remove "pins" in that short amount of time"

And her fall was on Labor Day. Now who is the stupid mfr now?

OP >>"They were supposed to remove the pins today but decided to wait a week."

My reply >> "If she is a drunk, and has pins in her leg (fractured) only for one week, I can't imagine she would be healed enough to remove "pins" in that short amount of time"

And her fall was on Labor Day. Now who is the stupid mfr now?

He never said they were going to remove the pins after one week ya imbecile.
No Doc would ever do that or they'd be fucked.

I struggled about where to put this.

My wife has a sister that is 62 years old. She is a chronic, textbook alcoholic. She had a male partner about the same age that was also alcohol addicted. He dropped dead about five years ago. She has been living alone way up in the sticks and has a job as a computer technition at a medical center. She lived in California for decades but wore our her welcome in the state. Her reputation was so bad that she was on a do not hire list.

When I say an alcoholic I mean clinically to the point of being blind drunk every night. She has some friends a few miles away that had a dinner on Labor Day and she went to their house on a four-wheeler on a dirt road. She left plastered and crashed the four-wheeler destroying her right leg to the point that she has pins in it from her heel to her hip. She had to be airlifted to Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center by helicopter. Luckily someone saw her in the road and called an ambulance.

They were supposed to remove the pins today but decided to wait a week. Unbelievably, the hospital is going to release her until they remove the pins. She wants my wife to pick her up and bring her to her house where she can get more booze.

My wife talked to someone at the hospital to make sure it was an official decision and apparently it was. She cannot walk or get around by herself and my wife works. I want my wife to call that hospital and make it clear what the situation is. What would you do?
Sounds to me like you're a jealous control freak and sociopath.

Your wife wants to help her elderly sister after a devastating auto accident, and you are completely mad and angry that she would give even 1 fucking second of attention to her horribly injured elderly sister in desperate need of help rather than you, because you're a control freak and a sociopath.

You're a disgusting piece of shit.

Last edited:
I wouldn't do a thing because long before this point I would have stopped talking to her and I would have stopped having anything to do with her.

And yes, I have done this, cut someone I love off until they got their shit together. To two different people.

Oh by the way, let me describe the pins in her legs. They are not inside and stitched up. They go through her legs and stick out on each side about 6 inches. They go all the way up her leg from her heel to her hip. That leg must have been shattered. She needs to be regularly injected with antibiotics to prevent infection. I find it extremely odd that the hopital or the doctors would even entertain her release to her home in that condition.

I agree that alcoholism is a medical condition and Should be treated as such but killing a person with kindness is a bad choice on the part of family members and in my opinion negligence on the part of a hospital.

I know someone who had to have that sort of gear on their wrist. They had to go a couple months before it was removed. It was a soccer player on my college dorm. I don't recall him having to take injected antibiotics though.

My wife has a sister that is 62 years old. She is a chronic, textbook alcoholic. She had a male partner about the same age that was also alcohol addicted. He dropped dead about five years ago. She has been living alone way up in the sticks and has a job as a computer technition at a medical center. She lived in California for decades but wore our her welcome in the state. Her reputation was so bad that she was on a do not hire list.

When I say an alcoholic I mean clinically to the point of being blind drunk every night. She has some friends a few miles away that had a dinner on Labor Day and she went to their house on a four-wheeler on a dirt road. She left plastered and crashed the four-wheeler destroying her right leg to the point that she has pins in it from her heel to her hip. She had to be airlifted to Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center by helicopter. Luckily someone saw her in the road and called an ambulance.

They were supposed to remove the pins today but decided to wait a week. Unbelievably, the hospital is going to release her until they remove the pins. She wants my wife to pick her up and bring her to her house where she can get more booze.

My wife talked to someone at the hospital to make sure it was an official decision and apparently it was. She cannot walk or get around by herself and my wife works. I want my wife to call that hospital and make it clear what the situation is. What would you do?

Take her home, let her no where near alcohol, then kick her out when she can look after herself.

Dont buy her alcohol since she cant get it herself right now. Of course if she is really bad, she could die if she goes cold turkey, believe it or not. Better keep your eye on her the first two days.
If DoorDash or Uber delivers to her and the Booze Barn has a pad from either one or both then she can still get it delivered.

It is easier today to get Booze than you realize.

Well you have to put your foot down but also remember that is your wife sister, so you might lose the argument.

Until your wife sister is willing to confront her issue there is not much you can do except maybe hire someone to stay with her.

Wouldn't you step up and help a family member, or are you just a prick in general?
If refusing to help someone who has screwed you repeatedly makes you a prick, then so be it. In that case, "prick" is far from the worst thing you could call me.

She does have insurance through her job that might cover that but she talked my wife into going to get her. I just had it out with my wife over it and she agrees that is a very bad idea for her to go home and stay alone.
I am outraged the hospital would release her like that but that seems to be the trend now. Alcolism is an addiction, from what it sounds like, she isn’t going to be able “promise” anything and keep it. They manipulative, cunning, and will do anything to get their addiction satisfied. They need help, but unless they acknowledge it, nothing will change. I dealt with this with my father and my husband. I would under no circumstances take her in, you will never get her out with significant pain to you and your wife.

I don’t know what the laws are in your state concerning releasing patients in her condition, might be worth looking into. But if I were you, I would say no to taking her in. Period. Looking into insurance and rehab is one good option. What will the hospital do if no one takes her in? Will they send her home? If so, what kind of home care is available? Does her hospital offer social services and advocate assistance? Some do.

This is a hard situation and I feel for you :smiliehug:

We went to visit her yesterday. Now that I think of it she manipulated us. She knows she has insurance but if she heals too slowly it might take weeks for her to have surgery. She has no children or anyone who can take care of her 24-7 which is what she needs. She knows a nursing home is not going to give her a ride to a liquor store or let her smoke.

It would be a death sentence for her to go to her house in that condition. My wife is going to talk to a doctor there tomorrow.
That is typical alcoholic behavior.

Forum List

Back