What Would You Do? (Education)

Spare_change

Gold Member
Jun 27, 2011
The time has come.

It is time for us to take control of our government. Rather than wait to see how the government is going to fix our problems, we need to TELL them how to fix our problems.

Lesson 1. Education

What would you do to turn around our obviously malfunctioning education system?

All options are on the table --- what's your recommendations?

(Yes, I have some ideas ... but I'm going to read yours first. If they're good, I'm going to claim them as my own!!)

The time has come.

It is time for us to take control of our government. Rather than wait to see how the government is going to fix our problems, we need to TELL them how to fix our problems.

Lesson 1. Education

(Yes, I have some ideas ... but I'm going to read yours first. If they're good, I'm going to claim them as my own!!)
If you want to improve public education fire the under performing teachers. The remaining ones will get the hint. Then... flunk out the under performing students. The remaining ones will get the hint too. Teaching and schooling are not for everyone.

The time has come.

Lesson 1. Education

If you want to improve public education fire the under performing teachers. The remaining ones will get the hint. Then... flunk out the under performing students. The remaining ones will get the hint too. Teaching and schooling are not for everyone.
They can work our sweatshops and labor camps, and Trump can claim he brought the jobs back and made America great again

The time has come.

Lesson 1. Education

They can work our sweatshops and labor camps, and Trump can claim he brought the jobs back and made America great again
There might be an opening for you. Do you want me to check for you?

'''
The time has come.

Lesson 1. Education

How about we try to stay on subject?

The time has come.

Lesson 1. Education

So, I would assume that means you need to have some specific criteria to determine under-performing teachers. A Common Core fan?

The time has come.

Lesson 1. Education

So, I would assume that means you need to have some specific criteria to determine under-performing teachers. A Common Core fan?
Actually I don't know much about common core except my wife hates it so I must hate it too, lol. Criteria is hard to define. I know good when I see it. I don't know if I can put it down in black and white. I believe that we need to raise the expectations of the kids performance as well and hold them to a higher standard too. This doesn't rest solely on the shoulders of the teachers. I always thought that education did a poor job of breaking down what they taught in simple to learn ways. Most kids won't speak up if they don't get it. They are too embarrassed to say so. My approach would be to teach a concept in a systematic way and then show the students all the way that teachers try to trick them with their tests. It isn't teaching test taking so much as it is teaching them different ways of looking at the same thing. It will be up to the teacher to make sure they grasp if they understand it or are just going through the motions. Get rid of the kids that don't want to be there. I know it sounds harsh, but it really will work. It is human nature to seek the path of least resistance. They will rise to the level we set but only if we are clear about the expectation and are serious in making sure they learn the lesson. We won't get what we expect. We will only get what we inspect.

Scrap Common Core immediately. Go find the smartest kids in the world, and who is producing them, and copy their curriculum, plus college level classes in high school. What ever the smartest are doing we need to one up them. We need to be the smartest, the strongest, the fastest, the most courageous, the most compassionate, the best this world has ever seen.

The time has come.

Lesson 1. Education

Actually I don't know much about common core except my wife hates it so I must hate it too, lol. Criteria is hard to define. I know good when I see it. I don't know if I can put it down in black and white. I believe that we need to raise the expectations of the kids performance as well and hold them to a higher standard too. This doesn't rest solely on the shoulders of the teachers. I always thought that education did a poor job of breaking down what they taught in simple to learn ways. Most kids won't speak up if they don't get it. They are too embarrassed to say so. My approach would be to teach a concept in a systematic way and then show the students all the way that teachers try to trick them with their tests. It isn't teaching test taking so much as it is teaching them different ways of looking at the same thing. It will be up to the teacher to make sure they grasp if they understand it or are just going through the motions. Get rid of the kids that don't want to be there. I know it sounds harsh, but it really will work. It is human nature to seek the path of least resistance. They will rise to the level we set but only if we are clear about the expectation and are serious in making sure they learn the lesson. We won't get what we expect. We will only get what we inspect.

Under the guise of establishing common standards across the states (NY children should be educated about the same things as Iowa children), the federal government created Common Core.

Unfortunately, like the best laid plans of men and mice, the program quickly went astray. The federal government quickly realized that this was a great tool to usurp the local control of education. (If you don't meet our federal standards, you don't get our federal money).

In addition, the teacher's unions opposed it because it gave a ready yardstick to measure teacher performance (if your kids don't learn, you get fired). Naturally, the union opposed anything that threatened some part of their membership. As a result, we have too many teachers that are incompetent, but are not removed from the classroom because there is no measurable justification that will stand up in court.

I think the original concept of Common Core was a good idea ---- measure the quality of education by measuring the education of the children. Seemed logical to me. Unfortunately, politics destroyed it.

I just read a recent article in the NY Times bemoaning the fact that only 8% of teachers in NYC are men of color. They called for this to be immediately addressed.

When the color of a person's skin is more important than the quality of teaching he provides, I would suggest our priorities are out of order.

The time has come.

Lesson 1. Education

Under the guise of establishing common standards across the states (NY children should be educated about the same things as Iowa children), the federal government created Common Core.

Unfortunately, like the best laid plans of men and mice, the program quickly went astray. The federal government quickly realized that this was a great tool to usurp the local control of education. (If you don't meet our federal standards, you don't get our federal money).

In addition, the teacher's unions opposed it because it gave a ready yardstick to measure teacher performance (if your kids don't learn, you get fired). Naturally, the union opposed anything that threatened some part of their membership. As a result, we have too many teachers that are incompetent, but are not removed from the classroom because there is no measurable justification that will stand up in court.

I think the original concept of Common Core was a good idea ---- measure the quality of education by measuring the education of the children. Seemed logical to me. Unfortunately, politics destroyed it.
Big surprise.

Scrap Common Core immediately. Go find the smartest kids in the world, and who is producing them, and copy their curriculum, plus college level classes in high school. What ever the smartest are doing we need to one up them. We need to be the smartest, the strongest, the fastest, the most courageous, the most compassionate, the best this world has ever seen.

You're right .... but, are we willing to have our kids go to school 10 hours a day, all year long? Are we willing to give our students a test in the 6th grade, and tell some that they are not going to be allowed into college, but rather have to learn a vocational skill? Are we willing to scrap the 'feel good' classes and concentrate our funding, and talent, on the core curriculum? Are you willing to tell your daughter she isn't smart enough to be a ballerina, or a rocket scientist?

How do we standardize schools so everyone gets an equal opportunity?

The time has come.

Lesson 1. Education

Big surprise.

Excellent --- I think it makes a strong case for local control of education.

But then, you have the question of standardization across communities. Or, do you ignore that, knowing that the school system will adapt in order to produce quality citizens?

Forum List

Back