What Would You Do? (Education)

1. Get rid of the Department of Education and return funding to the states.

2. Get of teachers' unions which use dues to funnel contributions to the Dems who then in turn reward them with excessive benefits and protections at the expense of students.

3. Per pupil funding to be directed to the school of choice by parents, including parochial, charter, private or homeschooling.

4. Return control to local community school boards accountable to parents.

...... flunk out the under performing students. .....

Give up on the students who need the most help? What a pussy quitter attitude.
No. Set standards and hold people accountable.

Kicking out the students who need help the most is quitting on them. The attitude of a quitter and a loser.
You do realize that that is the option of last resort, don't you?

I don't think you realize why teachers teach.

The time has come.

It is time for us to take control of our government. Rather than wait to see how the government is going to fix our problems, we need to TELL them how to fix our problems.

Lesson 1. Education

What would you do to turn around our obviously malfunctioning education system?

All options are on the table --- what's your recommendations?

(Yes, I have some ideas ... but I'm going to read yours first. If they're good, I'm going to claim them as my own!!)

Give it more local control. Every jurisdiction is different.

Tax payer money should not be used to pay for private schools or religious schools.

In order to fire "under performing" teachers - you have to have a metric by which to rate them. What would that be?

Ever thought that maybe it's not the school system but the kids themselves?

Academic success is dependent on so many variables, more than just the teachers. You have the financial resources of the district, the famlies of the children, their home life often enters into it. Kids can't learn if they're cold, hungry, afraid. Teachers can't teach if they have no means to instill discipline or there is no support from the parents. Violence can be a big factor in some schools.

I know too many teachers who have provided the "extras" for their students out of their own pockets, because they care about their profession and pupils. I get so sick of teachers being disrespected and dumped on.

explainthese-bad-grades-today-explain-these-bad-grades-problem-see-2165061.png

Tax payer money should not be used to pay for private schools or religious schools.

In order to fire "under performing" teachers - you have to have a metric by which to rate them. What would that be?
Why? Isn't it to society's benefit to have well educated citizens? Isn't it Darwinian to have competition? Evolve or die works at every level of society, even public schools.

Why I’m a Public-School Teacher But a Private-School Parent

Why? Isn't it to society's benefit to have well educated citizens?

Our country guarantees a free education, paid for through our taxes. I fully support that. I fully support doing whatever we can to improve that public school system and make it the best it can be. But we don't guarantee a Harvard education. Public money that goes to private schools is public money that is taken away from the public school system. Private schools aren't across the board better than public schools - they vary, just like public schools. Private schools also can succeed in large part because they can control classroom size, they can pick and choose the students they take. Public schools must take all student in their jurisdiction.

My tax money should not be paying for private religious schools. Parents HAVE school choice - nothing stops them from sending their kids to private schools if they can afford it. It's like anything else in life.

Our country guarantees a free education, paid for through our taxes. I fully support that. I fully support doing whatever we can to improve that public school system and make it the best it can be. But we don't guarantee a Harvard education. Public money that goes to private schools is public money that is taken away from the public school system. Private schools aren't across the board better than public schools - they vary, just like public schools. Private schools also can succeed in large part because they can control classroom size, they can pick and choose the students they take. Public schools must take all student in their jurisdiction.

My tax money should not be paying for private religious schools. Parents HAVE school choice - nothing stops them from sending their kids to private schools if they can afford it. It's like anything else in life.
If it improves performance why would you care?

I stated "why" already.

I stated "why" already.
Right but your reason assumes equal results. If that were the only way to raise performance would you still oppose it?

I stated "why" already.
Right but your reason assumes equal results. If that were the only way to raise performance would you still oppose it?

Yes. Because I don't believe that is the "only way". If the private school model (and there isn't even just one) is the means to better performance - then let's shape our public schools to that model, not let them die. Personally, I think giving more community control, downsizing classroom size a great deal, and allowing teachers to be more innovative and creative is a far better idea.

I stated "why" already.

Yes. Because I don't believe that is the "only way". If the private school model (and there isn't even just one) is the means to better performance - then let's shape our public schools to that model, not let them die. Personally, I think giving more community control, downsizing classroom size a great deal, and allowing teachers to be more innovative and creative is a far better idea.
That's the point. They have no reason to change. Give them a reason to change.

I stated "why" already.

I think they have reason to change, but they are stifled in bureacracy. There have been good innovative ideas that are successful, like magnet schools. Funneling money into private education is not going to make them change, it will make it harder for them to change. I also don't think tax payers should fund religious enterprises.

I am very proactive and involved in my son's education. To leave it up to teachers is a disservice to my boy.

I stated "why" already.

I think they have reason to change, but they are stifled in bureacracy. There have been good innovative ideas that are successful, like magnet schools. Funneling money into private education is not going to make them change, it will make it harder for them to change. I also don't think tax payers should fund religious enterprises.
They won't change until their existence is threatened.

We need waaaaaaayyyy more technical high schools...

Do you believe in dual tracking (one for college and one for vocational school)? When should the split happen? How would you feel if your child was told they aren't smart enough for college?

I stated "why" already.

How do you feel about vouchers? School choice? Parochial schools? Home schooling?

Forum List

Back