What was that again about "disunified" Democrats?

Statistikhengst

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2013
deep within the statistical brain!!
LOL... but also kind of sad...

Democrats Rebuff DHS Bill Over Immigration Provisions Roll Call News

Democrats banded together Tuesday to block the Senate from considering a Homeland Security spending bill, leaving GOP leaders scrambling to find another path forward to challenge the president over immigration.

All 46 members of the Democratic caucus voted against cloture on the motion to proceed to the $39.7 billion measure (HR 240), citing opposition to five House Republican amendments that effectively reverse executive actions on immigration or block similar orders in the future. Republican Dean Heller of Nevada also voted against cloture. Fifty-one Republicans voted in favor of opening debate on the bill, well short of the 60-vote threshold.

Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, who voted no, immediately entered a motion to reconsider the vote. He will try to bring up the same bill for another procedural vote later this week, according to a senior Republican leadership aide.

The Democratic filibuster prevents McConnell from moving to the bill, forcing him and his House counterparts to come up with a Plan B to fund the Department of Homeland Security after Feb. 27. The Kentucky Republican, however, has been quiet about his next moves.

Sen. John Thune of South Dakota, a member of GOP leadership, suggested earlier Tuesday that McConnell might bring up the House-passed bill for at least another floor vote.

"I think we'll give them an opportunity to vote on that more than one time,” Thune said. But using the procedural rules to keep us from even debating it I think is a disservice to people who care deeply about this issue on both sides."

The bolded, in red: since I am strongly against the Filibuster, and this may sound strange to my Democratic friends, I don't think that Sen. Thune (R-SD) is far off on this, at least on one idea. Only, I don't remember him saying this when the GOP was in the minority in the Senate. So, he's a total hypocrite for saying it now when he himself filibustered endlessly from 2009-2015, but the idea that he espoused is, imo, a strong argument.

With a Democratic President in office, the Democrats in the Senate could have allowed cloture to happen and then we would see if it really would have passed. If Dean Heller (R-NV) was willing to cross lines for a cloture vote, maybe other Republicans would also not be so hot to vote for the bill itself after cloture had passed. And had it passed, then the President could simply have vetoed it, with absolutely no hope for 67 votes in the Senate for a congressional override. So, either way, this silly attempt to kill the Presidents immigration reform EO's would have died.

Not only that, when cloture fails, the public doesn't get to see who voted yes or no on the bill itself. Imagine yourself as a Republican in a blue or purple state, one with lots of Latinos in it.Are you willing to risk your career to vote for something like this, knowing that the President would veto it, anyway?

This is what happens when people attach poison pills to bills.

And of course, it is totally perfide to combine an immigration reform killer with funding for Homeland Security. I guess this tells us how much Republicans really care about our safety. As in, they don't. Because of their raw, unbridled, not-even-cloaked-anymore hatred of Latinos, they would rather see the DHS fail at protecting us from a potentially devastating attack than see the Pres. win on this one.

Quick math: 46 DEMS + Heller +McConnel voted NO (procedural move on the part of McConnell, totally normal) = 48 no.

Only 51 R's voted YES. So, there was either one abstention or the article is incomplete.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And on another exciting front, if I recall, this is like the 57th time that the HOR has passed an ACA-repeal bill. Wanna talk about wasting taxpayer time and money?

Forum List

Back