What role does Affirmative Action play in the events playing out in Ferguson?

[

Your argument (back in Post #213- ahhh, memories) was that they are worse off NOW (you know, in 2014 when a black man is president) and society would be better off if they WERE still slaves.

I maintain that BOTH are true.

Yes, I know you do.

And frankly, I'm just not sure how to respond to that. I'm really not.

Again, when you volunteer to live like that for a few years, then MAYBE you could argue it's virtues.

Sonny, at WHAT point did I say slavery was virtuous?

[

I don't get "credit" for what my ancestors did...but you're only to happy to blame Southerners for what THEIR ancestors did? Your history professors must have gotten such a chuckle out of you, Joe...I know I do!

No, I blame Southerners for not looking back at that bit of history with profound shame. All the bubbas out there with their Confederate flags like that's something to be proud of.

Well if you look what is happening to blacks and poor people in today's US with a profound sense of shame and take no pride in the American flag, then perhaps you have standing to make that statement, otherwise, not so much.

No, I blame Southerners for not looking back at that bit of history with profound shame. All the bubbas out there with their Confederate flags like that's something to be proud of.

Well if you look what is happening to blacks and poor people in today's US with a profound sense of shame and take no pride in the American flag, then perhaps you have standing to make that statement, otherwise, not so much.

Bullshit. Decent Americans fought to end slavery. Thousands died under the Stars and Stripes to put an end to Slavery. As opposed to the Stars and Bars, where thousands of dumb Bubbas put themselves out of the gene pool so a few rich jerks could own slaves.

[

Your argument (back in Post #213- ahhh, memories) was that they are worse off NOW (you know, in 2014 when a black man is president) and society would be better off if they WERE still slaves.

I maintain that BOTH are true.

Yes, I know you do.

And frankly, I'm just not sure how to respond to that. I'm really not.

Again, when you volunteer to live like that for a few years, then MAYBE you could argue it's virtues.

Sonny, at WHAT point did I say slavery was virtuous?

Again, you really can't backpedal away from what you said in Post #213.

Bullshit. Decent Americans fought to end slavery. Thousands died under the Stars and Stripes to put an end to Slavery. As opposed to the Stars and Bars, where thousands of dumb Bubbas put themselves out of the gene pool so a few rich jerks could own slaves.

Yet you did not address a single point I was making (and Lincoln only emancipated the southern slaves)

The Civil War was not all about slavery, Joe. In the South it is sometimes referred to as The War for State's Rights because many southerners believed the conflict was over their rights to self govern and a Federal Government intruding on those rights. Many poor southerners who didn't own slaves ( I believe only about 10% of people below the Mason Dixon Line actually owned slaves) still fought for the Confederacy because they felt outsiders were imposing on their rights.

[

The Civil War was not all about slavery, Joe. In the South it is sometimes referred to as The War for State's Rights because many southerners believed the conflict was over their rights to self govern and a Federal Government intruding on those rights. Many poor southerners who didn't own slaves ( I believe only about 10% of people below the Mason Dixon Line actually owned slaves) still fought for the Confederacy because they felt outsiders were imposing on their rights.

Guy, it was entirely about slavery.

And, yes, I'm sure that a lot of dumb-ass rednecks fought for the Confederacy for the same reason they vote Republican. 'I might be dumb-ass white trash, but I'm better than them coloreds!!!!"

In fact, the whole Modern GOP strategy is based on that.

My plan is to open Lincoln's Tomb, Wrap a copper coil around him, and collected all the electricity as he spins in his grave. we could probably light up Springfield.

[

Yet you did not address a single point I was making (and Lincoln only emancipated the southern slaves)

I'm sorry, what was your point, exactly?

America still sucks donkey balls for a lot of people, especially blacks. There is a growing sentiment that has lead many blacks to refuse to celebrate the 4th of July. How is displaying the stars and bars any different than displaying the American flag if sentiments over slavery is your justification? Do you think they love being reminded that the country was founded by people who only considered them 3/5ths a person, and then only for white political advantage, but otherwise treated them as property?

[

America still sucks donkey balls for a lot of people, especially blacks. There is a growing sentiment that has lead many blacks to refuse to celebrate the 4th of July. How is displaying the stars and bars any different than displaying the American flag if sentiments over slavery is your justification? Do you think they love being reminded that the country was founded by people who only considered them 3/5ths a person, and then only for white political advantage, but otherwise treated them as property?

I don't know, I served with a lot of blacks who loved their country when I was in the Army.

[

I don't know, I served with a lot of blacks who loved their country when I was in the Army.

So did I , that doesn't mean they all do. Just like everyone who lives in the south doesn't want to return to slavery.

[

Guy, it was entirely about slavery.

And, yes, I'm sure that a lot of dumb-ass rednecks fought for the Confederacy for the same reason they vote Republican. 'I might be dumb-ass white trash, but I'm better than them coloreds!!!!"

In fact, the whole Modern GOP strategy is based on that.

My plan is to open Lincoln's Tomb, Wrap a copper coil around him, and collected all the electricity as he spins in his grave. we could probably light up Springfield.

Use some common sense, Joe...since only about 10% of Southerners were wealthy enough to hold slaves there obviously had to be something else that made the others willing to fight against the North. You REALLY got a degree in history and still spout nonsense like poor Southerners fought for the Confederacy only because it made them better than coloreds? I'm not sure who should be more embarrassed...you or whoever your college professors were!

Affirmative action plays no role there. This was a liberal media event to try to stir liberals in an election year. Humongous thug attacks a police officer and got shot. End of story.

[

Use some common sense, Joe...since only about 10% of Southerners were wealthy enough to hold slaves there obviously had to be something else that made the others willing to fight against the North. You REALLY got a degree in history and still spout nonsense like poor Southerners fought for the Confederacy only because it made them better than coloreds? I'm not sure who should be more embarrassed...you or whoever your college professors were!

GUy, the whole history of America is rich people getting poor people to fight wars for them. This is why people are still butthurt about Vietnam. Poor people finally said "no".

Now I'm sure before they put Cleetus into a gray uniform and sent him out their to die for their right to continue to own slaves, they told him some shit about how he was fighting for his state and Jesus and whatever else...

But, no, guy. The Civil War was about slavery. Deal with it.

[

GUy, the whole history of America is rich people getting poor people to fight wars for them. This is why people are still butthurt about Vietnam. Poor people finally said "no".

Now I'm sure before they put Cleetus into a gray uniform and sent him out their to die for their right to continue to own slaves, they told him some shit about how he was fighting for his state and Jesus and whatever else...

Poor people? Oh, yeah, victim status thing again. I disagree with Joe. History of America has been one of struggle and success. Overcoming hardships and growing into the greatest nation on earth.

[
Poor people? Oh, yeah, victim status thing again. I disagree with Joe. History of America has been one of struggle and success. Overcoming hardships and growing into the greatest nation on earth.

Okay, if you want to believe the Puppies and Sunshine version of history we teach gradeschoolers, have at it.

Reality- this country was built by slavery, genocide of the Native Americans and exploitation of immigrant labor. The only bright spot being that at certain points, working folks said "enough" and did something about the worst of it.

[

So the average Southerner was simply too "stupid" to know that he was being tricked into fighting for something else? Is THAT your contention, Joe?

I'm constantly amazed at the smug people on this board who think everyone below the Mason Dixon line are right out of Deliverance! Once and for all...the fact that someone has a "southern accent" does not mean they have a lower IQ than someone who does not! Indeed the fact that you DO think that, Joe leads me to the conclusion that YOU are not the brightest bulb on the tree!

[

Okay, if you want to believe the Puppies and Sunshine version of history we teach gradeschoolers, have at it.

Reality- this country was built by slavery, genocide of the Native Americans and exploitation of immigrant labor. The only bright spot being that at certain points, working folks said "enough" and did something about the worst of it.

What's laughable about that little rant, Joe is that what you're spouting is the current "Puppies and Sunshine" version of history that is being taught by liberal educators throughout the nation. They would have you believe that this country WAS built by slavery, genocide and exploitation...while ignoring the ambition, innovation and sacrifice that millions of Americans put into making this country great. They focus on the negative while ignoring what it was that made America the nation that the rest of the world wanted to live in.

[

This country was built by access to free/cheap land and abundant coastal resources.

[

So the average Southerner was simply too "stupid" to know that he was being tricked into fighting for something else? Is THAT your contention, Joe?

I'm constantly amazed at the smug people on this board who think everyone below the Mason Dixon line are right out of Deliverance! Once and for all...the fact that someone has a "southern accent" does not mean they have a lower IQ than someone who does not! Indeed the fact that you DO think that, Joe leads me to the conclusion that YOU are not the brightest bulb on the tree!

No doubt, pretty sure Bill Clinton has/had a southern accent, and agree or disagree with his politics the man was obviously brilliant, they don't make just anyone a Rhodes scholar.

Just as an example.

Hell, I have a southern accent, Goes good with my PhD from Princeton LOL

Forum List

Back