What muscle car woud you like to see brought back modernized?

ThatDude30

Gold Member
Sep 29, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
Out of all the older muscle cars, which one would you like to see make a comeback? Like the challenger, charger, Camaro, and mustang are modernized today. I have to think on this one.

Plymouth Road Runner. My great uncle had a white one. I loved riding in that thing.

This one...
1970-Plymouth-Road-Runner-Superbird_319790_low_res.jpg

263452_1970-Plymouth-Road-Runner-Superbird_low_res.jpg

Last edited:
Out of all the older muscle cars, which one would you like to see make a comeback? Like the challenger, charger, Camaro, and mustang are modernized today. I have to think on this one.
/----/ The Renault Dauphine could haul ass. The 1963 Dauphine could be had with three-speed transmission with electro-mechanical control and a fire breathing, rear mounted, 36 HP engine that pushed it to 70 mph, even 80 going down hill. Bring this baby back.
RD.jpg

Plymouth Road Runner. My great uncle had a white one. I loved riding in that thing.

This one...

A non-functional spoiler and decorative air scoops? Ug!

shutterstock_25521292.jpg
No, actually...a fully-functional rear wing and functional air extractors! The wing was for downforce and stability on the superspeedways, the fender scoops were for tire clearance and preventing a pressure buildup under the hood!

This one...

A non-functional spoiler and decorative air scoops? Ug!

shutterstock_25521292.jpg
No, actually...a fully-functional rear wing and functional air extractors! The wing was for downforce and stability on the superspeedways, the fender scoops were for tire clearance and preventing a pressure buildup under the hood!

That spoiler has practically no horizontal surface and is mounted too high to have any appreciable effect on drag across the rear of the car. The size and placement will provide almost no downward pressure on the rear end to improve stability and is useless as a wing spoiler.

The air scoops are aft of the engine compartment so where are they directing air to?

Those mods are for showin', not for blowin'.

That spoiler has practically no horizontal surface and is mounted too high to have any appreciable effect on drag across the rear of the car. The size and placement will provide almost no downward pressure on the rear end to improve stability and is useless as a wing spoiler.

The air scoops are aft of the engine compartment so where are they directing air to?

Jesus fuck...OK, one more time: the wing actually had considerable surface area. (It was not quite 5' wide and a foot long, I recall BIGGER than the current NASCAR rear spoilers.) It added rear downforce, and the side braces greatly aided high-speed stability-the height of the wing also got it out of the turbulent air coming off the rear window. The "air scoops" (actually, air extractors) on the front fenders are directly over the front tires-they, again, allowed air to escape from the engine compartment, and also added clearance, since superspeedway cars were usually lowered in front for aerodynamics and stability

Jesus fuck...OK, one more time: the wing actually had considerable surface area. (It was not quite 5' wide and a foot long, I recall BIGGER than the current NASCAR rear spoilers.) It added rear downforce, and the side braces greatly aided high-speed stability-the height of the wing also got it out of the turbulent air coming off the rear window. The "air scoops" (actually, air extractors) on the front fenders are directly over the front tires-they, again, allowed air to escape from the engine compartment, and also added clearance, since superspeedway cars were usually lowered in front for aerodynamics and stability

The wing is only a few inches from fore to aft and has nil negative camber to provide downard pressure on rail. What purpose do the rear air scoops provide? To provide air to the rear wheel wells? Tire air conditioning?

More decorations on this car than my Grandmother's house.

i like Grandma [sleepers] cars with big huge motors . I have always been a motorcycle guy so am sketchy on cars so might get it wrong. I liked Dodge , Plymouth , think it was early 60s Plymouth Belvedere , 2 door with after market aluminum wheels and big black tires , Think they were pushbutton trannies , 383, 426 or 440 cubic inch . Valiants done right were also pretty cool . ------------------- And mention for 442 , think it was an Oldsmobile in mid 60s , maybe late 60s . Also , as a non car kinda guy i pretty much think that the best American cars are from the 60s !!

as far as the ROADRUNNER , i liked the style from the 60s , maybe 67 - 68 . I'd call them square body style . I remember driving on the BIG BAY highway going to camp to drink beer in a friends Roadrunner . Lots of drunks or speedsters , kids supposedly put an end to their careers on that BigBay highway .

The wing is only a few inches from fore to aft and has nil negative camber to provide downard pressure on rail. What purpose do the rear air scoops provide? To provide air to the rear wheel wells? Tire air conditioning?

More decorations on this car than my Grandmother's house.
I feel like I am trying to explain this to a mental patient. OK, again, for the slow kid...the wing is about a foot wide. Though it appears horizontal in photos, it was not, and was adjustable on the NASCAR racers. Note wing angle on the 99 car:
landscape-1467042196-lededaytonashot.jpg

The designer-a LITERAL rocket scientist named John Pointer-of the rear wing built it with one instruction: make the car faster, nothing else mattered. He raised it as much as he did to put it in "clean air", away from the turbulence coming off the roof. Note that on short-track cars, the wing WAS set to horizontal-the extra downforce was not needed at the lower speeds. Without the wing, the rear of the cars would lift off the ground at high speeds! The Daytona was incredibly streamlined-the 0.28 drag coefficient was better than most cars even now. (It beats even an early Prius!) With its side scoops and different wing, the Superbird was SLIGHTLY less streamlined (0.29), but still exceptionally sleek.

The rear fender scoops were used for brake cooling ducts on short tracks. For superspeedways, they were usually used to feed air to the rear axle oil cooler.

Forum List

Back