What makes a country great?

This is a vague question.
If the question were "what elements are necessary for a nation to become great", we would concentrate on natural resources.
If the question were "what are the signs of a great country", we would concentrate on the welfare of its population.
The signs of a nation being great are that it is at peace and its people are happy.

Which is what I just said Ray.

You said the US was much better, but now you're going to have to compare all countries to find out where the US is, because you don't actually know.

My point is being millionaire here is not like being a millionaire in other places. The higher the cost of living, the more people that will have more money. In that regard, the US is the best place because we rank high on the amount of millionaires we have and lower on the cost of living scale.

I would rather live here in the Northeast Ohio area making $180,000 a year than live in the NYC area making $500,000 a year. My dollar will go a lot further. I mean, look at where the complaints are coming from with the new tax bill which eliminates home interest on loans over 750K. Nobody here is complaining about it because not many have homes worth that much. Those that do are pretty wealthy people.

Yes, I know this is your point, because this is the point I made before.

You made a claim which was that the US was better because people could move much more rapidly. You haven't proven this. In fact by agreeing with the point I made, you're actually moving away from the claim you made.

Yes, the higher costs of living the more money you have. This is good if you go abroad and buy foreign products. But you said you try and buy American wherever possible, and I doubt you've traveled abroad much. So, for you it doesn't really matter.

So, you're still a very long way away from making the US look like a great place.

Very few leave the US to live somewhere else. Millions are trying to get in our country every single year.

Opportunity is why they come here. And while I've never visited any other country (besides Canada) I wouldn't want to live any other place in the world. I love this country, and I wish to preserve it for future generations. My cousins and I were all born middle-class, several of them are millionaires today. And again, being a millionaire here is much different than being a millionaire in Switzerland. This is the land of opportunity as long as we can keep Democrats out of power.

Very few being how many? I mean you're trying to make a comparison or something with no comparison.

Many Americans will leave one part of the US and move to another part.

I personally have met quite a lot of Americans living abroad.

Opportunity exists in the US, but then it exists elsewhere too. Many Chinese are going to Canada, because it offers them opportunity they can't get in the US.

You love the country, well, most people love their country. It doesn't mean much.

You said being a millionaire is different than being a millionaire in Switzerland. Well, how about the other 190 countries?

And you say it's the land of opportunity without the Democrats, however you support the Republicans when they're trying to make it not the land of opportunity by having large multinationals who control everything. I don't get it.

Capitalism is what made this country great. What other countries?

What do you think Mexicans do with their money once they make it here? They ship it back to their families in Mexico because a buck goes a longer way over there.

A late friend of mine was a first generation American. His parents came here from Poland. His mother died and his father later retired from the auto plant. Almost immediately after retirement, he moved back to Poland. One of the main reasons he went back is because he could live like a king in Poland. Between his retirement and Social Security, he was rolling in the dough; not that he couldn't' have lived a good life here, but he lived a better one in Poland at the time.

Exit strategy: More Americans are living abroad

Chinese immigrants are the third-largest foreign-born group in the United States, after Mexicans and Indians. Chinese immigration to the United States has consisted of two waves, the first arriving in the mid-1800s and the second from the late 1970s to the present. The population has grown more than six-fold since 1980, reaching 2.3 million in 2016, or 5 percent of the approximately 44 million immigrant population overall.

Chinese Immigrants in the United States

Here's the problem Ray. You've come onto a political forum to talk about stuff. And you're talking, but you don't know about the other countries. You're not taking much, if any, time to understand them. You say "America is great" and you can throw a few things into the wind as to why, but you don't know if another country is better or not. You might have read something that might possibly support your theory if you twist it enough, but you're not going to put the effort is.

So...

You're talking about Poland. Well, Poland has been poor and is getting richer. But Poland is one country. You could present all the countries in the Warsaw Pact and you'd still have countries that are poorer than the US. Is money what makes a country great? Surely there must be other things that make a country great.

Poland doesn't have racial problems like the US, it doesn't have ghettos, a massive gun murder problem. It has a politics problem, most countries do, maybe not as bad as partisan USA, but nevertheless a problem.

Money isn't the be all and end all, and if it were money, there are other countries that are richer, or have more people making money etc.

If the question were "what elements are necessary for a nation to become great", we would concentrate on natural resources.
If the question were "what are the signs of a great country", we would concentrate on the welfare of its population.
The signs of a nation being great are that it is at peace and its people are happy.

Of course it is.

Then again Trump came out and said "Make America Great Again", a vague meaningless statement from a guy who is full of shit and full of vague shit, from a country where presidents win with "Make America Great Again" "Hope not hate" and other such vague statements that people with empty minds think is going to make their lives better.

My point is being millionaire here is not like being a millionaire in other places. The higher the cost of living, the more people that will have more money. In that regard, the US is the best place because we rank high on the amount of millionaires we have and lower on the cost of living scale.

I would rather live here in the Northeast Ohio area making $180,000 a year than live in the NYC area making $500,000 a year. My dollar will go a lot further. I mean, look at where the complaints are coming from with the new tax bill which eliminates home interest on loans over 750K. Nobody here is complaining about it because not many have homes worth that much. Those that do are pretty wealthy people.

You made a claim which was that the US was better because people could move much more rapidly. You haven't proven this. In fact by agreeing with the point I made, you're actually moving away from the claim you made.

Yes, the higher costs of living the more money you have. This is good if you go abroad and buy foreign products. But you said you try and buy American wherever possible, and I doubt you've traveled abroad much. So, for you it doesn't really matter.

So, you're still a very long way away from making the US look like a great place.

Very few leave the US to live somewhere else. Millions are trying to get in our country every single year.

Opportunity is why they come here. And while I've never visited any other country (besides Canada) I wouldn't want to live any other place in the world. I love this country, and I wish to preserve it for future generations. My cousins and I were all born middle-class, several of them are millionaires today. And again, being a millionaire here is much different than being a millionaire in Switzerland. This is the land of opportunity as long as we can keep Democrats out of power.

Very few being how many? I mean you're trying to make a comparison or something with no comparison.

Opportunity exists in the US, but then it exists elsewhere too. Many Chinese are going to Canada, because it offers them opportunity they can't get in the US.

You love the country, well, most people love their country. It doesn't mean much.

You said being a millionaire is different than being a millionaire in Switzerland. Well, how about the other 190 countries?

And you say it's the land of opportunity without the Democrats, however you support the Republicans when they're trying to make it not the land of opportunity by having large multinationals who control everything. I don't get it.

What do you think Mexicans do with their money once they make it here? They ship it back to their families in Mexico because a buck goes a longer way over there.

A late friend of mine was a first generation American. His parents came here from Poland. His mother died and his father later retired from the auto plant. Almost immediately after retirement, he moved back to Poland. One of the main reasons he went back is because he could live like a king in Poland. Between his retirement and Social Security, he was rolling in the dough; not that he couldn't' have lived a good life here, but he lived a better one in Poland at the time.

Chinese immigrants are the third-largest foreign-born group in the United States, after Mexicans and Indians. Chinese immigration to the United States has consisted of two waves, the first arriving in the mid-1800s and the second from the late 1970s to the present. The population has grown more than six-fold since 1980, reaching 2.3 million in 2016, or 5 percent of the approximately 44 million immigrant population overall.

Here's the problem Ray. You've come onto a political forum to talk about stuff. And you're talking, but you don't know about the other countries. You're not taking much, if any, time to understand them. You say "America is great" and you can throw a few things into the wind as to why, but you don't know if another country is better or not. You might have read something that might possibly support your theory if you twist it enough, but you're not going to put the effort is.

So...

You're talking about Poland. Well, Poland has been poor and is getting richer. But Poland is one country. You could present all the countries in the Warsaw Pact and you'd still have countries that are poorer than the US. Is money what makes a country great? Surely there must be other things that make a country great.

Poland doesn't have racial problems like the US, it doesn't have ghettos, a massive gun murder problem. It has a politics problem, most countries do, maybe not as bad as partisan USA, but nevertheless a problem.

Money isn't the be all and end all, and if it were money, there are other countries that are richer, or have more people making money etc.

I don't know where you live, but if you ever get an opportunity to speak with a foreign store owner, ask him why he and his family moved to American out of all the places in the world.

No, wealth is not the only reason America is great. However wealth is a key element--especially for folks that immigrated here. They came from countries where if you were born poor, that's the way you're going to stay no matter how much you try.

Show me a person who says money doesn't mean anything and I'll show you a liar.

Often Americans will say America is the greatest.
Canadians will say Canada is the greatest.
French will say France is the greatest.
And so on. It's not hard to see why people think their own country is the greatest, they've been indoctrinated into it, or they've just grown up there and are comfortable with it, or they don't know anywhere else... or maybe other reasons.

But, if you're going to give a UNIVERSAL assessment of what makes a country great, what would those things be?
Cohesive cooperation.

“What makes a country great?”

What makes the United States great is that it’s a Constitutional Republic and the supremacy of the law, as codified by the Constitution’s case law – where the rights and protected liberties of the people are safeguarded from the capricious, and at times harmful, will of the majority.

Few countries have been able to achieve this level of dedication to the rule of law.

And so on. It's not hard to see why people think their own country is the greatest, they've been indoctrinated into it, or they've just grown up there and are comfortable with it, or they don't know anywhere else... or maybe other reasons.

But, if you're going to give a UNIVERSAL assessment of what makes a country great, what would those things be?

What makes America great ? Hmm, say we were in some third world shithole. Hati as an excample or some place in Africa or Mexico. Say you were a news reporter and you said something along the lines of what some in the media say about our presidant. In those countries, said president can have you and your family picked up, your women beaton and raped in front of you, all your property seized and eventually have you chopped up with machetes and fed to pigs. In America, a guy can accuse a president of not being a citizen and it’s all good. We can call our president a liar to his face here wonder what happens in Guatemala. Men, that’s just for starters. I kiss every one of my lucky stars and thank every god in every pantheon that they and fate saw fit to let me be borne in America.
I guess America would seem great if people kept comparing it to the worst countries. Funny how people like you never compare it to Denmark, Iceland, Sweden or New Zealand.

Also many of the worst countries got that way by way of American interference.

America isn't great because Liberals have destroyed her greatness.

A strong Military makes a country great.
A strong High Tech education system, and business complex makes a country great.
High Math, Science, Medical, Engineering, makes a country great.

What makes a country weak? Providing for those who can't hack it makes a country weak. Allowing those who can't hack it to hold it back from it's greatness makes a country weak. You kill the weak to provide space for the strong to thrive. You are only as strong as your weakest link.

So, how does a strong military make the country better for you?

A strong education system might make a country great, but the right doesn't seem to want such strong education.

Business is great in the US for some, but for all? Some people are fighting against large corporations who have, in recent years, taken control of government.

business-lending-loan-size1-1024x944.jpg

But smaller businesses are suffering.

https://www.sba.gov/sites/default/files/advocacy/United_States.pdf

99.7% of businesses are small businesses, but only 48% of people work for them.

Figure one shows that since 2000 the larger businesses have increased while smaller businesses have decreased.
You moved the goal post. The question is what makes a country great, not what makes a country great for you. The difference is Libertarian wants a great country while Liberals want a great country for you. Two different things.

Of course it is.

Then again Trump came out and said "Make America Great Again", a vague meaningless statement from a guy who is full of shit and full of vague shit, from a country where presidents win with "Make America Great Again" "Hope not hate" and other such vague statements that people with empty minds think is going to make their lives better.
You know what he means if you know Trump.
Powerful, rich, control, jobs.

So...

I don't know where you live, but if you ever get an opportunity to speak with a foreign store owner, ask him why he and his family moved to American out of all the places in the world.

No, wealth is not the only reason America is great. However wealth is a key element--especially for folks that immigrated here. They came from countries where if you were born poor, that's the way you're going to stay no matter how much you try.

Show me a person who says money doesn't mean anything and I'll show you a liar.

The problem is Ray, that speaking to a few foreign store owners who have chosen to go to the US doesn't tell you that much. How many foreign store owners come from Switzerland? Sweden? France? Germany? No, they come from places like India which is a much poorer country with problems.

I'm not saying the US is worse than India here, or countries like that.

Wealth is one reason that attracts people to richer countries. People want to be rich. Some people put money at the top of their wish list. Others don't.

The problem for you is that it's like Chocolate.

You say "I eat this chocolate, it's the best. It's much better than this cheapo white chocolate that tastes like plastic."

Me "Well, have you tried this other chocolate that isn't the cheapo white chocolate?"

You "No, my chocolate is the best, I don't need to try your chocolate, I know my chocolate is better than the cheapo white chocolate that tastes like plastic"

A strong High Tech education system, and business complex makes a country great.

What makes a country weak? Providing for those who can't hack it makes a country weak. Allowing those who can't hack it to hold it back from it's greatness makes a country weak. You kill the weak to provide space for the strong to thrive. You are only as strong as your weakest link.

A strong education system might make a country great, but the right doesn't seem to want such strong education.

Business is great in the US for some, but for all? Some people are fighting against large corporations who have, in recent years, taken control of government.

Figure one shows that since 2000 the larger businesses have increased while smaller businesses have decreased.
You moved the goal post. The question is what makes a country great, not what makes a country great for you. The difference is Libertarian wants a great country while Liberals want a great country for you. Two different things.

I'm sorry if you don't see that a great country is one that is great in someone's eyes. Two people can talk about a country, one can say it's great, the other can say it's not. Does that make it great or not? It doesn't make it either. It's a subjective thing.

Some will say it's great, Trump says it's not.

Well, Libertarians want a great country in the manner that they see as great. The same as Liberals and Conservatives. That's the point of the thread. What people think.

Of course it is.

You know what he means if you know Trump.
Powerful, rich, control, jobs.

The US is great for Trump. He bribed people and made a shit load of money out of it, and no one ever accused him of breaking the law, because the bribery was legitimized.

A. Democracy
B. Capitalism
C. Recognition of common sense human rights.
D. Military
E. Unity & common culture
F. Honesty and integrity

I forgot perhaps the most important, and that's our founding fathers. They were a far better and wiser people than you and I, and no other foundation comes close.

I'm sorry if you don't see that a great country is one that is great in someone's eyes. Two people can talk about a country, one can say it's great, the other can say it's not. Does that make it great or not? It doesn't make it either. It's a subjective thing.

Well, Libertarians want a great country in the manner that they see as great. The same as Liberals and Conservatives. That's the point of the thread. What people think.
A great team is one that always win. IF they allow the fat boy on their team, they're not going to win. So they pick the athletic one. A great country kicks ass.

America is going through a stage right now.

Republicans are racist. They are anti education. Anti science. They hate the Middle Class and especially the poor.

They love corporations and billionaires.

But the country is catching on to the damage being caused by the Republican Party.

Once the damage to trade catches up, the wound coming from the GOP will fester for probably longer then than the terrible GOP recession they handed to Obama. It's going to take a long time to heal the damage.

But what's at stake is the future of the country. Are we a democracy or are we a, well, there's a whole list. A theocracy, a plutocracy, a oligarchy, and worse.

The GOP has to be defeated. As Trump has proven, they are a terrible danger to the world.

They want to abolish the EPA. Apparently they like living in filth, and they think poison water is OK.

They deflect by insisting the Democrats want to redistribute the wealth of the nation to the middle class and the poor, but they truth is, the GOP wants to redistribute the wealth of the nation to the top 1%. We know that for a fact. We learned it from their current policies.

A great team is one that always win. IF they allow the fat boy on their team, they're not going to win. So they pick the athletic one. A great country kicks ass.

I disagree. A great country is one that can co-exist. The US goes around the world kicking ass like the bully at school. The bully at school isn't great. When he graduates, or if he graduates, he's going to find the nerds earning more money that he does.

America is going through a stage right now.

Republicans are racist. They are anti education. Anti science. They hate the Middle Class and especially the poor.

They love corporations and billionaires.

But the country is catching on to the damage being caused by the Republican Party.

Once the damage to trade catches up, the wound coming from the GOP will fester for probably longer then than the terrible GOP recession they handed to Obama. It's going to take a long time to heal the damage.

But what's at stake is the future of the country. Are we a democracy or are we a, well, there's a whole list. A theocracy, a plutocracy, a oligarchy, and worse.

The GOP has to be defeated. As Trump has proven, they are a terrible danger to the world.

They want to abolish the EPA. Apparently they like living in filth, and they think poison water is OK.

They deflect by insisting the Democrats want to redistribute the wealth of the nation to the middle class and the poor, but they truth is, the GOP wants to redistribute the wealth of the nation to the top 1%. We know that for a fact. We learned it from their current policies.

The problem is your view seems rather partisan.

The problem in the country is both parties. It's the way people vote. This leads to the way things are, the ease at which the rich can buy the politicians and control everything.

I disagree. A great country is one that can co-exist. The US goes around the world kicking ass like the bully at school. The bully at school isn't great. When he graduates, or if he graduates, he's going to find the nerds earning more money that he does.
Where do you think cops come from?
They used to be your bullys.
Takes a certain mentality to be a cop.

Forum List

Back