What is your favorite science

I prefer Earth Sciences or weather science

I will leave the daunting physics, Chemistry to others

I also like some astronomy
Same here. Being a country boy spending most of my life outdoors I naturally gained an interest in the natural world. Astronomy has always fascinated me as well. As a child knowing that the Universe has no end was amazing to me.

I prefer Earth Sciences or weather science

I will leave the daunting physics, Chemistry to others

I also like some astronomy
I love science, and a lot of it. Nutritional science that benefits human health, I'm kind of hooked on the USGS earthquake map, probably because of 5 years of living in California right after high school graduation, where my family moved to. I am fond of zoology. I only visited one zoo I didn't like a few years back because at Oklahoma City zoo, the animals seemed to be depressed and just lackluster at best. Don't know why, but I never wanted to go back to that one. My favorite one was probably New Orleans because the year we visited, a mother alligator had given birth to 20 little albino gators, and they were unique in that they all had the same recessive gene trait. I love the science of plants, ornithology, marine science, and wouldn't mind going on a sea cruise to help with cleaning up the oceans. I also am devoted to lepidoptera for the beauty of their wings worldwide. This morning early, I was taking the puppy Miss Song out to prevent accidents on the floor, looked up, and the stars were so brilliant in spite of it being partly cloudy. I saw Orion's Belt, and the stars seemed extra bright and beautiful.

Thanks for starting a thread about the sciences.

The Leanord comet has been visible in the western sky just before sunset. It is rare to see one with the naked eye but the view of this comet is quite clear and interesting to see in the daytime.

The Leanord comet has been visible in the western sky just before sunset. It is rare to see one with the naked eye but the view of this comet is quite clear and interesting to see in the daytime.
The whole time it would have been visible, we have had cloudy weather. But I have great memories of the Comet Arend-Roland;

1641065852336.png

Same here. Being a country boy spending most of my life outdoors I naturally gained an interest in the natural world. Astronomy has always fascinated me as well. As a child knowing that the Universe has no end was amazing to me.
My favorite astronomy website: Get NASA Image of the day - Microsoft Store

A Picture A Day (of pictures taken from observatories, worldwide) and catalogued by NASA: Astronomy Picture of the Day Archive 2015

And of course, the best random sample I could find in 2 minutes ~~~~

Astronomy Picture of the Day​

Discover the cosmos! Each day a different image or photograph of our fascinating universe is featured, along with a brief explanation written by a professional astronomer.
2015 January 26
1641076873817.png

The Milky Way over the Seven Strong Men Rock Formations
Image Credit & Copyright:
Sergei Makurin
Very interesting credits and dialogue about this image:

1-1-22 image: Astronomy Picture of the Day

Last edited:
I haven't thought what science I like best.

I am more into Art. :)
Artists benefit from looking at images from nature and man's inventions. I hope you show somw art one of these days, and if you already have, I'd like to see a link to it, skye. :thup:

Artists benefit from looking at images from nature and man's inventions. I hope you show somw art one of these days, and if you already have, I'd like to see a link to it, skye. :thup:

I have shown a lot of Pablo Picasso's art....a lot of art from other painters to.

Many writers like Scott Fitzgerald and Hemingway.....also. :)

I appreciate literature and painting ....even though I don't paint and have never written a book.

I have shown a lot of Pablo Picasso's art....a lot of art from other painters to.

Many writers like Scott Fitzgerald and Hemingway....also. :)

I appreciate literature and painting .... even though I don't paint and have never written a book.
My art was in quilt design, and I wrote 4 books while running a quilt store I built from a box of machine embroidery threads. Writing a book is like giving your life away for a year of time while you scour libraries, and back then resources were found in libraries, because I did not have a computer, and by the time I got one, my semester learning how to use a quilt in the early 80s was way out of 15 years later. I published them myself, and my computer son got them copyrighted for me. The reason I did so was because at the time I couldn't find an applique book with ABC Animals for a child's quilt, so I looked at zoo animals in libraries till I was blue in the face lol. A year later, I had found what real animals looked like standing, running, sitting, walking, sleeping, etc. But they needed to have happy faces for children, so I went to work baby-fying 26 animals, only some letters had such potential for cute animals, I wound up with an ABC Animal book for 42 critters and named them after friends and loved ones, so I had Nellie the Newt, Allen Alligator, Buddy the Bear, Forrest the Frog, and Mattie the Monkey. You get the picture ... and it took me months to find a picture of a Xenops, which is a South American or Australian Bird that has physical and living characteristics no other animal has. But the X letter had to be filled, and of course reality ruined by my cartoon image that would be streamlined enough for someone to machine buttonhole stitch the applique onto a piece of muslin or other 100% cotton material background. It was night and day, day and night, take it to the shop, think of it even when you mop sorta stuff. Those years I wrote applique books, my tolerant late husband was so supportive I couldn't have gone through all that work of doing 4 books in about 5 or 6 years, and I haven't done another since. Publishing your own creative book by yourself into workbooks for students is not a picnic, and the money you charge barely pays for the hours, days, and months you spent making the quilt. My "Aesthetics of a Southwest Quilt" book won a best of show in the State Fair in Wyoming in the early 1990s, and it was a best seller, which interpreted into local sales may have tipped the 200 mark. <giggle> But when you take into consideration that Wyoming men are uncomfortable when they enter a quilt store, that cuts the population in half, and that only 2% of women have ever made a quilt, that tells you 99 out of 100 Americans will never consider making a quilt much less pay $25 for a book that would never prosper its author for her year and a half of research, designing, making the quilt, and then having to figure out publishing and doing all the printing on a xerox machine and assembling into simple 3-hole clasped folders. However, we got by because business was not always wonderful in a small town until we moved the store downtown due to the quilt shop I owned in a busy street fell to a street widening project the small city needed to have a north-south artery on the east end. So in 1996, I had to move everything in my store into a "downtown" building where "downtown" had about 4 square blocks in it. It took 5 years after moving before everyone figured out my new location. As I said, quilting back then was limited in who was willing to spend time making a quilt, except the women in Wyoming who did made quilts for every child, grandchild, friend and charity in the book. I never met such wonderful people as those women who came to my classes to learn my tricks, make an heirloom quilt unlike any other, and give a prize to their lucky recipients. All I had was a flair for color, the willingness to work my head off to create unique sashings and borders, and burning midnight oil to draw, redraw, and decide which animals I could make kids like and adults laugh. The choice boiled down to whether the finished design had something about it that made me laugh. I had a good time laughing, and my late husband's excellent sense of humor was a plus that kept me going.

Forum List

Back