Bull Ring What is “within reason” in relation to gun ownership: Saki & Dhunt

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's already legal to own a firearm "within reason". The "reasonable" part of firearms ownership means that first, you are legally eligible to possess them, and second, that you use them "reasonably." In other words, safely, responsibly, and legally.

The question is, what is a reasonable firearm? We already know that we have the reasonable right to own and possess as per where ever we are located at. But where to we draw the line at what is reasonable? And who draws that line?
Reasonable? Quit worrying about guns. You can make a poison gas that kills thousands with common household products. All guns do is give ya a choice as to who dies. I would rather Reasonable people be able to have guns not only for protection but hey I put meat in the freezer with them. We have mass shooting because of crazy not guns. Gunna prevent people from buying clorox or coffee creamer. If ya know what you are doing you can create crazy havoc with those items.

When the crazies use the same poison to mass poison that poison is normally placed as a control substance. Arsenic used to able to be purchased over the counter but it became the poison of choice for poisoning relatives, co-workers, random people in coffee shops, etc.. Rat Poison is for Ametuers and doesn't work very well. Most people that get rat poisoned survive since it hits with a lot of pain and there is a very long time before death occurs. It's a quick trip to the ER for a stomach pump and an overnight stay. But with Arsenic, it's a slow acting poison administered over a long period of time and when it's finally noted,death almost always occurs.

A hunting Rifle is normally used to put meat on the table and makes a poor mass murder weapon. No matter how fast it can cycle, it's still too slow and cumbersome for changing of the Mags. Or it's too large to hide. In the case of the Mini-14, it normally takes two hands to change out the mag making it not the best choice for a Mass Murder weapon. Meanwhile, the AR is the perfect weapon of choice since it was never devised as a hunting, target or anything other than a weapon of war. The mag doesn't rotate out like the Mini-14 does. You don't have to rotate the rifle. You just press the release with a finger on your right hand and the mag falls out and you slam a new mag in until it clicks and you hit the bolt release with your right hand finger unless you decided to change mags before the bolt locked open. In the hands of a beginner, it's the fastest, most deadly mass murder weapon. But in the hands of a Pro, it's devastating. Luckily, no Pro has ever gone on a mass murder spree with one yet. Instead of the record of just over 50 dead and over 400 wounded, it would be more like 300 dead and 600 wounded in a matter of a couple of minutes.

So, if you compare guns with things that can poison people, know this, sticnyne and arsenic are controlled substances for the same reason some firearms are also or need to be controlled as well.
Many substances out there can be used for mass destruction that have not hit controlled substance list but I think I will quit talking about it I do not want to give loons ideas. My real point is leave my guns alone. Most people use them properly and I am tired of being limited because of idiots. Gun is a tool only as evil as the hand that holds it. I use it for hunting, have never had a reason to use in self defense but like to know it's there in case

The AR is NOT the best for Self Defense. Not even close. It's the best for Offense. I won't go into it but I can think of many other guns that far shadow the AR for home defense or make a better self defense weapon on the street. But if I am in mind to shoot up the street, the AR is the best choice.

It's already legal to own a firearm "within reason". The "reasonable" part of firearms ownership means that first, you are legally eligible to possess them, and second, that you use them "reasonably." In other words, safely, responsibly, and legally.

The question is, what is a reasonable firearm? We already know that we have the reasonable right to own and possess as per where ever we are located at. But where to we draw the line at what is reasonable? And who draws that line?
Reasonable? Quit worrying about guns. You can make a poison gas that kills thousands with common household products. All guns do is give ya a choice as to who dies. I would rather Reasonable people be able to have guns not only for protection but hey I put meat in the freezer with them. We have mass shooting because of crazy not guns. Gunna prevent people from buying clorox or coffee creamer. If ya know what you are doing you can create crazy havoc with those items.

When the crazies use the same poison to mass poison that poison is normally placed as a control substance. Arsenic used to able to be purchased over the counter but it became the poison of choice for poisoning relatives, co-workers, random people in coffee shops, etc.. Rat Poison is for Ametuers and doesn't work very well. Most people that get rat poisoned survive since it hits with a lot of pain and there is a very long time before death occurs. It's a quick trip to the ER for a stomach pump and an overnight stay. But with Arsenic, it's a slow acting poison administered over a long period of time and when it's finally noted,death almost always occurs.

A hunting Rifle is normally used to put meat on the table and makes a poor mass murder weapon. No matter how fast it can cycle, it's still too slow and cumbersome for changing of the Mags. Or it's too large to hide. In the case of the Mini-14, it normally takes two hands to change out the mag making it not the best choice for a Mass Murder weapon. Meanwhile, the AR is the perfect weapon of choice since it was never devised as a hunting, target or anything other than a weapon of war. The mag doesn't rotate out like the Mini-14 does. You don't have to rotate the rifle. You just press the release with a finger on your right hand and the mag falls out and you slam a new mag in until it clicks and you hit the bolt release with your right hand finger unless you decided to change mags before the bolt locked open. In the hands of a beginner, it's the fastest, most deadly mass murder weapon. But in the hands of a Pro, it's devastating. Luckily, no Pro has ever gone on a mass murder spree with one yet. Instead of the record of just over 50 dead and over 400 wounded, it would be more like 300 dead and 600 wounded in a matter of a couple of minutes.

So, if you compare guns with things that can poison people, know this, sticnyne and arsenic are controlled substances for the same reason some firearms are also or need to be controlled as well.
Many substances out there can be used for mass destruction that have not hit controlled substance list but I think I will quit talking about it I do not want to give loons ideas. My real point is leave my guns alone. Most people use them properly and I am tired of being limited because of idiots. Gun is a tool only as evil as the hand that holds it. I use it for hunting, have never had a reason to use in self defense but like to know it's there in case

The AR is NOT the best for Self Defense. Not even close. It's the best for Offense. I won't go into it but I can think of many other guns that far shadow the AR for home defense or make a better self defense weapon on the street. But if I am in mind to shoot up the street, the AR is the best choice.
I do not own one. I have a 223 mainly used for coyote hunting , twelve gage gets most use duck, turkey and rabbit. I have shot the ar would not mind owning one. Likely after I get trolling tackle and a tackle. I don't spend much on guns I have friend that do it for me. I can get my hands on just about anything you want though. I am the boat guy of the group.I borrow guns they borrow boats from me all works out well.

I do not own one. I have a 223 mainly used for coyote hunting , twelve gage gets most use duck, turkey and rabbit. I have shot the ar would not mind owning one. Likely after I get trolling tackle and a tackle. I don't spend much on guns I have friend that do it for me. I can get my hands on just about anything you want though. I am the boat guy of the group.I borrow guns they borrow boats from me all works out well.

yah, never heard of a boat guy use his favorite bass boat trying to mow down large groups of people in the streets. That would be one weird way of doing things. The Tow Pickup would end up doing most of the damage.

yah, never heard of a boat guy use his favorite bass boat trying to mow down large groups of people in the streets. That would be one weird way of doing things. The Tow Pickup would end up doing most of the damage.
One of the boat s I run is a 95 foot steel boat I could wreak some havic with it in harbor but ya,not real effective on street. Of course last year there were some floods I might have been able create havoc on some streets with it then. I had a friend produce a you tube video of him catching a walleye in a parking lot during the flood. We did not actually catch it in the parking lot but it sure looked like we did in the video. Lol I guess my friends are better prepared for havoc than I am. My guns are good enough to get to my buddies if the shit hits the fan. My boats can carry me away from the havoc though

Daryl Hunt,

What is your definition of “within reason” in respect to gun ownership?

You mean the idea of the government letting the people keep arms that are “within reason”? If so, anything the military currently has, would be "reasonable", as long as that person is vetted.

To believe that only certain weapons should be legally available to citizens, would be the same as believing that the First Amendment only protects things printed on antiqued hand-operated printing presses.

Do you mean that ANYTHING at all? Does that include 155mm Artillery, MOABs, and more? Doesn't sound too common sense to me. The line must be drawn somewhere.

Why not? I can already legally own full-auto or a hand grenade for that matter, if I wanted to pay the $200 tax stamp. Except that grenades are commercially unobtainable.

Does that automatically make me a criminal if I legally own them? I also disagree with the background check and paperwork for any purchase. I've bought 12 firearms so far this year at garage sales: They were not on the tables and I had to ask if that had any firearms. Most of the time the people who have them have no idea what they are or what they're worth. They were just some old rifle or pistol that their parents or grandparents owned, and they were happy to get them out of the house. The average price was between $20-$60 and I'll turn around and sell off what I don't want to keep, at the gun shows this fall.

Capitalism is great.

Meanwhile, the mass shootings by the 17 and 19 year olds were done by guns either borrowed or stolen from their parents. See my comments on that one.

A criminal could have just as well off bought those same weapons and used them for other than legal reasons. A little incovenience on your part just might save someone else's life.

You are a FFL holder so you don't have nearly the limits as the normal person. But you also follow the laws to obtain those weapons. Anyone can own almost anything with the proper FFL license.
mass shootings account for about 1% of all murders so even if you could wave your magic wand and end mass shootings the murder rate would not change

A mandatory gun safety class for all gunowners and interested people would be nice
that would violate the 2nd amendment,,
Too bad . i was raised on gun safety. I hate seeing all these kids buying guns without taking any classes on gun safety. It should be mandatory.
Dont need to follow every gun they buy or nan guns or anything. But I hate hearing of an innocent kid getting shot. In my home town a kid got shot at a party with a shotgun and died because the other kid didnt think it was loaded
A gun safety class may have saved his life.
"Treat every gun as if it was loaded"

A mandatory gun safety class for all gunowners and interested people would be nice
Too bad . i was raised on gun safety. I hate seeing all these kids buying guns without taking any classes on gun safety. It should be mandatory.
Dont need to follow every gun they buy or anything. But I hate hearing of an inncent kid getting shot. In my home town a kid got shot at a party with a shotgun and died because the other kid didnt think it was loaded
can they fail these class's??? or do they cost money??

Dont need to follow every gun they buy or anything. But I hate hearing of an inncent kid getting shot. In my home town a kid got shot at a party with a shotgun and died because the other kid didnt think it was loaded
I think mine was 10 bucks and pretty damn easy to pass. But that was 45 years ago. It was a basic hunter safety class. I think i missed one question on the whole exam. Simple basic and i learned a few things
Watch where the muzzle is pointed
Treat every gun as if it was loaded
Etc.
Wasn't a big thing. But did learn to respect a weapon and its abilities. Saw a few graphic teaching videos too i think. It was a good short to the point class. Glad i took it.

I think mine was 10 bucks and pretty damn easy to pass. But that was 45 years ago. It was a basic hunter safety class. I think i missed one quetion on the whole exam
that didnt answer the question,,

it's not even that great for offense.

I think mine was 10 bucks and pretty damn easy to pass. But that was 45 years ago. It was a basic hunter safety class. I think i missed one quetion on the whole exam
you would have to be brain dead or have not attended to fail the class i took and 10 bucks
If that doesnt answer your question you probably wouldnt pass the test

you would have to be brain dead or have not attended to fail the class i took and 10 bucks
that still doesnt answer the question,, and the 10 bucks violates the 2nd amendment,,

if you really wanted to increase gun safety you need to get youtube to allow gun channels back on their platform,, there were hundreds of gun safety videos before they purged them,,,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back