What is life like where you live ????

lived in the US for 45 years and Ireland for 25 years. We are freer over here. I would say the evidence backs ME up
Can you give some examples of this greater freedom?
I can't speak for Nonukes but I'm Belgian (my wife's American) and some of those freedoms include in my case. The ability to send my kid to any school I like (no school districts). The freedom to have access to high-quality healthcare regardless of my financial situation. The freedom to send my kid to college without them taking on crippling debt, or me having to save for it my entire life. In general, I have found that I have access to services that would require an American to be very wealthy indeed in order for them to afford it. And because they're available to almost the entire population it gives us freedom of financial constraints for those services.

The price of these freedoms is a tax rate that would make you blanch.

Plano, Texas.

1. Corrupt city officials siphoning money from taxpayers faster than the Oval Office cronies can do it!!
2. Corrupt, LAZY, WORTHLESS "police" department!! Our tax dollars HARD AT WASTE!
3. The Karens and Kyles usually live in their own sections of the city, so the intelligent, civilized people know to stay away from those areas. It's very nice of them to be this socially aware for all of us!
4. Psychotically deranged lunatics ALL OVER the freeking roads and highways!! Nobody gives a shit about anything! And the "law" just CANNOT be bothered!!!
5. As far as I'm aware, the DFW metro area has only had ONE, SMALL protest march from the BLM fuktards, through downtown Dallas last summer. Real Texans don't give a shit who you are, where you come from, what you do, or what you believe, as long as you are civil, quiet, act like a civilized human being, and don't shove your propaganda down our throats, and you are LEGALLY here.
6. Companies are still corrupt......taking too many elements from Mexifornia and New Yuck corrupt companies to use and abuse their employees with.
7. The HUMIDITY! OMFG THE HUMIDITY!!! That year long El Nino we had back in 1997 screwed up the weather patterns over North Texas and we started getting Gulf humidity up here.....and it gets WORSE every summer!!!! I can take the heat, but the HUMIDITY is killer!!!!

Let me tell you about my city of Vegas

It’s like being in a giant outpatient psych ward .

2/3 of the folks here are mentally ill
1/2 are drug addicts or alcoholics
3/4 are genetically damaged
3/4 are dead broke
1/3 - are very violent

It’s a giant sewer pipe

Now tell me about your city !!!
Virginia Beach is pretty nice. Great beach, lots of nice people, plenty of upscale bars and clubs.

3/4 are dead broke
1/3 - are very violent

It’s a giant sewer pipe

Virginia Beach is pretty nice. Great beach, lots of nice people, plenty of upscale bars and clubs.
Lived there for a decade. Nice beach town. Drawback is that it’s not near anything else but overall thumbs up.

3/4 are dead broke
1/3 - are very violent

It’s a giant sewer pipe

Lived there for a decade. Nice beach town. Drawback is that it’s not near anything else but overall thumbs up.
Yea, It goes downhill fast outside of VAB.

These days I divide my time between two homes.

One is a small city, very much like a 1950s New England town with locally owned shops though with a couple of good size chain stores in reasonable driving distance. Mostly conservative but with a vocal liberal presence making itself sufficiently obnoxious as to be noticed from time to time. It's like being able to see the animals without having go visit a zoo.

The other is a very small seaside town posing as a city. A few local stores that are open when the owners are bored with hunting or fishing (or both are out of season). One chain market that keeps regular hours though prices are high. Lots of street drunks but they tend to pass out early so late nights are quiet. Lots of people buy stuff off Amazon for the free delivery but since the post office is open only when somebody remembers to go to work it's best not to order perishables.

It's OK to be eccentric. About half-a-bubble-out-of-plumb is OK. Get outside the town limits and you build what you want to live in without pain-in-the-ass rules, regulations or inspectors. There is rudimentary local government to keep the streets somewhat under repair. A fire department that has gotten so good that these days they're saving the occasional structure, not just the chimneys. I will admit it's getting a little modern. Just yesterday I saw a truck with a license plate. But only on the front so I guess the rot is still moving slowly. Vehicles driven here usually have lost both license plates, at least one headlight and have a cracked windshield or have come in on a barge so are suffering advanced rust on arrival though the glass is almost always intact.
But not for long.

If you're thinking to fly in - the city airport a few hours away has some damned good drug-sniffing dogs so it's best to leave your stash at home. But if you do get through our local dogs are even better so you will get caught but the local penalty involves sharing so maybe bring extra so you'll have little for yourself.

We do have the occasional murder but local juries get three choices: Innocent. Guilty. Goddamned fool deserved it.

Maybe that's why folks generally nice to each other.

lived in the US for 45 years and Ireland for 25 years. We are freer over here. I would say the evidence backs ME up
I can't speak for Nonukes but I'm Belgian (my wife's American) and some of those freedoms include in my case. The ability to send my kid to any school I like (no school districts). The freedom to have access to high-quality healthcare regardless of my financial situation. The freedom to send my kid to college without them taking on crippling debt, or me having to save for it my entire life. In general, I have found that I have access to services that would require an American to be very wealthy indeed in order for them to afford it. And because they're available to almost the entire population it gives us freedom of financial constraints for those services.

I see. Regarding the freedom to have universal healthcare and education, there are two opposing points of view.

One of them is to have these things 'free' being financed by the state at the cost of taxpayers.

Another one is to have these things being paid by people themselves directly or through various funds (insurance companies, as in the case with healthcare).

What is better? Who knows. The both ways have pros and cons.

I see. Regarding the freedom to have universal healthcare and education, there are two opposing points of view.

One of them is to have these things 'free' being financed by the state at the cost of taxpayers.

Another one is to have these things being paid by people themselves directly or through various funds (insurance companies, as in the case with healthcare).

I don't think determining what is best is all that complicated. Either you go by what is cheaper, you go by what makes it the most available, or you go by what gives you the highest quality. I don't see any but those 3 options.

In the case of healthcare, I can say without any reservation that Belgium beats the US handily in terms of cost and availability, and we do better in regards to overal health outcomes in most catagories. Stating as only possible exeption maybe when it comes to very rare conditions. The US is very good when it comes to clinical trials.

In regards to education, Belgium spends about 2 percent per student per capita more than the US, has better results in overal outcomes, ( better average education levels) and as I said gives universal access without financial constraints.

What I always find interesting when I have these discussions though is how Americans always have this idea that paying taxes somehow makes the services "free". They are not free, I pay for them by paying taxes.

I don't think determining what is best is all that complicated. Either you go by what is cheaper, you go by what makes it the most available, or you go by what gives you the highest quality. I don't see any but those 3 options.

In the case of healthcare, I can say without any reservation that Belgium beats the US handily in terms of cost and availability, and we do better in regards to overal health outcomes in most catagories. Stating as only possible exeption maybe when it comes to very rare conditions. The US is very good when it comes to clinical trials.

In regards to education, Belgium spends about 2 percent per student per capita more than the US, has better results in overal outcomes, ( better average education levels) and as I said gives universal access without financial constraints.

What I always find interesting when I have these discussions though is how Americans always have this idea that paying taxes somehow makes the services "free". They are not free, I pay for them by paying taxes.
I don't think that it is fair to compare Belgium with the US overall in this regard. The US are too big and diverse. Something tells me there are states which outperform Belgium and the ones which trail behind it.

And I don't understand who can consider services you get as free. Of course they are not free per se, you pay for them with your taxes. That is the main point. What is better to have high taxes and get 'free' healthcare and education or low taxes but pay directly (or through various funds) for the services you get? I can't give an unambiguous answer on that.

Paid for by US tax payers

You can have whatever political beliefs you want without being attacked for them.
Maybe that is because people in the country you live in are more politically indifferent and their society is not so politically polarised as in the US. But again, Ireland is too small to compare it with the US as a whole.

Forum List

Back