What is feminism today?

Coyote

Varmint
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Apr 17, 2009
Canis Latrans
Feminism in America, a traditionally leftist view, has changed, a lot over the past 70 years, and I think it's time we women re-evaluate what it means to be a feminist TODAY and what are and are not doing or what we should be doing. It's been accused of being a white elitist movement, and I have to agree there is an element of truth in that statement. It's also been accused of being out of touch with many women in America and elsewhere. There is truth there as well, at least if you go by the most vocal and politically active elements.

What does feminism mean today? Acknowledging something that, decades ago would have been sacrilege. We, as women, really are the guardians of family, culture, education, community strength and, often unacknowledged - diplomacy over war. IMO (and this is controversial and maybe even sexist) - women are more invested in the long term than men: climate change, global health issues, long term consequences that shape the world their children will inhabit. Feminism needs to move beyond equal rights for largely white corporate American women and needs to recognize that women in all walks of life are part of the sisterhood, regardless of politics, ethnicity, race, religion, nationality. Our outlook needs to focus inward to the community level and outward on a global scale. What is happening to women elsewhere in the world?

We used to have to fight for recognition that we were the equal of men in any job because at the time that was a battle of fundamental rights (and by and large we are equal) but in doing so we also had to deny some fundamental differences and those differences are important in what we should imo be focusing on in feminism.

This is my list:

First off, the global view - supporting our women everywhere and it's fundamental underpinning, freedom of choice and individual autonomy, everywhere in the world. The right to safety from violence, the right to determine whether or not to bear children, the right to an education, the right to choose freely who they will partner with. The right to equal treatment under their justice system. The right to free movement. The right to medical care. All of these things are denied to women in various parts of the world, because they are women.

Second, the community level. What's the use of shattering the glass ceiling when you have to raise your children in a drug and violence infested neighborhood, always afraid the streets will seduce your child or he or she will become another random victim of violence? What's the point if you don't have clean drinking water, or your daughter gets married off at 14, or her denied an education beyond primary school? Feminism shouldn't be looking down on the grandmother who isn't out there in corporate America but is instead investing her energy in family, and maybe she is the primary force behind pushing for an education in her grandchildren so they can get out of the trap, and maybe she is the one providing free baby sitting for a single mother with an erratic schedule who is also trying to go to school. There are a lot of hidden things women do that get looked down upon but are in reality feminism and a quite strength.

Something to think about - what is feminism?

I would be curious to hear other points of view.

I will also add - kudos to folks like AOC and other progressives who put front and center certain issues where our country lags behind others in terms of women. One of those is in childcare and paid family leave. Women were disproportionately hit by the job loss during the pandemic at many times the rate of men. With schools closed it fell on women primarily to educate and commit to in home childcare. They are still in the labor market at rates well below that of pre-pandemic levels. That actually has an effect on our overall economy.

Outside childcare is not back to the pre-pandemic levels. Long waiting lists, and in households now financially strapped - harder to afford.

I will also add - kudos to folks like AOC and other progressives who put front and center certain issues where our country lags behind others in terms of women. One of those is in childcare and paid family leave. Women were disproportionately hit by the job loss during the pandemic at many times the rate of men. With schools closed it fell on women primarily to educate and commit to in home childcare. They are still in the labor market at rates well below that of pre-pandemic levels. That actually has an effect on our overall economy.

Outside childcare is not back to the pre-pandemic levels. Long waiting lists, and in households now financially strapped - harder to afford.

Feminism, sadly, is dead as a doornail. Killed by the transgender extremists. Female sports, dead. Female anything is dead so long as transgender males get to engage in that activity.

Feminism in America, a traditionally leftist view, has changed, a lot over the past 70 years, and I think it's time we women re-evaluate what it means to be a feminist TODAY and what are and are not doing or what we should be doing. It's been accused of being a white elitist movement, and I have to agree there is an element of truth in that statement. It's also been accused of being out of touch with many women in America and elsewhere. There is truth there as well, at least if you go by the most vocal and politically active elements.

What does feminism mean today? Acknowledging something that, decades ago would have been sacrilege. We, as women, really are the guardians of family, culture, education, community strength and, often unacknowledged - diplomacy over war. IMO (and this is controversial and maybe even sexist) - women are more invested in the long term than men: climate change, global health issues, long term consequences that shape the world their children will inhabit. Feminism needs to move beyond equal rights for largely white corporate American women and needs to recognize that women in all walks of life are part of the sisterhood, regardless of politics, ethnicity, race, religion, nationality. Our outlook needs to focus inward to the community level and outward on a global scale. What is happening to women elsewhere in the world?

We used to have to fight for recognition that we were the equal of men in any job because at the time that was a battle of fundamental rights (and by and large we are equal) but in doing so we also had to deny some fundamental differences and those differences are important in what we should imo be focusing on in feminism.

This is my list:

First off, the global view - supporting our women everywhere and it's fundamental underpinning, freedom of choice and individual autonomy, everywhere in the world. The right to safety from violence, the right to determine whether or not to bear children, the right to an education, the right to choose freely who they will partner with. The right to equal treatment under their justice system. The right to free movement. The right to medical care. All of these things are denied to women in various parts of the world, because they are women.

Second, the community level. What's the use of shattering the glass ceiling when you have to raise your children in a drug and violence infested neighborhood, always afraid the streets will seduce your child or he or she will become another random victim of violence? What's the point if you don't have clean drinking water, or your daughter gets married off at 14, or her denied an education beyond primary school? Feminism shouldn't be looking down on the grandmother who isn't out there in corporate America but is instead investing her energy in family, and maybe she is the primary force behind pushing for an education in her grandchildren so they can get out of the trap, and maybe she is the one providing free baby sitting for a single mother with an erratic schedule who is also trying to go to school. There are a lot of hidden things women do that get looked down upon but are in reality feminism and a quite strength.

Something to think about - what is feminism?

I would be curious to hear other points of view.

A lot of words to say that "feminism is abortion."

You don't care about women, you of the left are waging war against women.

1642274344381.png

You love abortion.

Period.

The women should be in charge of her own care by a physician, instead of 2nd class citizens, next thing they will take away our voting rights.

My body, my choice comes to mind. Of course, that's only for vaccinations.

What are your personal ideals coyote? My personal opinioin is that women in the military should at least be discouraged but perhaps still be permissable.

I'm of the old school in which 'motherhood' must not be attacked. I mean motherhood in general and not to mean any particular mother.

And for instance, I find the Israeli forced service for women to be unnatural and deplorable.

The women should be in charge of her own care by a physician, instead of 2nd class citizens, next thing they will take away our voting rights.

Rights are fragile as we are seeing around the world how easily they can be taken away.

What are your personal ideals coyote? My personal opinioin is that women in the military should at least be discouraged but perhaps still be permissable.

I'm of the old school in which 'motherhood' must not be attacked. I mean motherhood in general and not to mean any particular mother.

And for instance, I find the Israeli forced service for women to be unnatural and deplorable.

I might be an outlier on this but I support selective service requirements for both men and women, which can include military service or other forms of service. Israel does this successfully with both men and women.

Nah.
Abort away.

In fact I encourage it retroactively.

You make your choice, I will make mine.
Deal?

What is feminism today?

Men becoming women?
:dunno:
I have no issue with transgender people though I do think there is a fad going on now with many more young people "discovering" they are trans but...might not really be. For those that are, their life is hard, and they don't deserve to have it made any harder than it is by us. They only area where I disagree is in adult sports.

I might be an outlier on this but I support selective service requirements for both men and women, which can include military service or other forms of service. Israel does this successfully with both men and women.

Not really. Numerous studies have shown that in actual combat the effectiveness of the combat units with females drops substantially. In peacetime it is fine, but in actual combat they are a hindrance.

Now, place them in a technical branch, pilot, artillery, anti aircraft, and I don't see a problem.

As a Traditionalist, Conservative Male it seems to me that the modern feminist movement is largely about removing all forms and ideals of difference between Men and women. Femininity, homemaking, child-rearing, etc… are looked down upon in favor of chasing a career. Wife don is totally out the window.

Just my two, misogynistic cents.

Not really. Numerous studies have shown that in actual combat the effectiveness of the combat units with females drops substantially. In peacetime it is fine, but in actual combat they are a hindrance.

Now, place them in a technical branch, pilot, artillery, anti aircraft, and I don't see a problem.

They might not be the exact physical equal, but it seems they can do a good job. Again, look at Israel.

Feminism, sadly, is dead as a doornail. Killed by the transgender extremists. Female sports, dead. Female anything is dead so long as transgender males get to engage in that activity.
Female sports are dead? Tell that to the WNBA and the LPGA. I dont think they are aware that women sports are dead.

Thanks for your opinion. I still have to wonder if the majority of women agree with you?

You have the power to eliminate the spamming from this thread. Maybe this could be a good time to try doing that?

I have considerable respect for you but zero interest in a thread in which the spam far outweighs any legitimate attempt to address your topic.

I have no issue with transgender people

Of course you don't.

You hate women and want Trannies to take every sport and award away from them.

Just as long as abortions are promoted and increasing...

though I do think there is a fad going on now with many more young people "discovering" they are trans but...might not really be. For those that are, their life is hard, and they don't deserve to have it made any harder than it is by us. They only area where I disagree is in adult sports.

Is a tranny a woman?

Can men get pregnant?

Are birthing people found in dozens of different genders?

As a Traditionalist, Conservative Male it seems to me that the modern feminist movement is largely about removing all forms and ideals of difference between Men and women. Femininity, homemaking, child-rearing, etc… are looked down upon in favor of chasing a career. Wife don is totally out the window.

Just my two, misogynistic cents.
Actually that kind of echos my thoughts.

At one time we HAD to remove those differences because they barred us from autonomy and equality. It might be now is the time to relent on that and respect other choices women make.

One thing though, that people of my mother's generation had to deal with - the loss of identity (she was unable to establish independent credit with out her husband's signature) and what happens when the husband divorces her or dies? She's been out of the job market, lost skills, connections etc. That was a real trap.

Forum List

Back