What is "Fair" Public School Funding?

No I'm really not because I took steps to minimize my SS liabilities. And using a corrupt system like SS as an example for why the government should take more of my money isn't a very convincing argument.

The effective ROR on the motet the government confiscates for SS is about 2.8%. My investments over the last 30 years have averaged over 8%

If you are 100% going to rely on your own investments to sustain your health care, dental care, vision care, and all your needs in your dotage, then you have a valid complaint as to not caring if children are educated.

However if you're depending AT ALL on them to sustain you, they have a right to expect YOU to pay taxes for their education.

"I tried out for choir in 3rd grade and didn't make it"--NO. Ugh, no. No "audition only" choirs in third grade please. If you want to sing, you're in. It's third grade! However to prove that I'm not of the "participation trophy" generation: I have auditions for solos and select from there. But if children so young want to sing--let them!

And it's obvious to me that rightwinger is afraid to return to this thread after being so exposed to his own terrible trollery
You are obviously a glutton for punishment

If you want to form a school choir or band, by all means do so.
Treat is like after school sports. Hire a “coach” and make it a voluntary after school activity. That coach does not need a college degree and should receive a stipend. No need to hire a real teacher for art or music.

As for 3rd Grade Choirs, they should be banned.
They are absolutely horrible. Subjecting parents to the wailings of those little monsters is pure torture.
Same goes for 3rd Grade art which is equally horrible and is destined for Grandma’s refrigerator.

You are obviously a glutton for punishment

If you want to form a school choir or band, by all means do so.
Treat is like after school sports. Hire a “coach” and make it a voluntary after school activity. That coach does not need a college degree and should receive a stipend. No need to hire a real teacher for art or music.

As for 3rd Grade Choirs, they should be banned.
They are absolutely horrible. Subjecting parents to the wailings of those little monsters is pure torture.
Same goes for 3rd Grade art which is equally horrible and is destined for Grandma’s refrigerator.

Because you don't want to pay for it. With your taxes.

When did you become a Republican?

When were schools ever an equalizer? Literally there was slavery, then segregation, then after segregation a lot of places were putting in policies to make sure equality wasn't an issue.
All Democratic policies.

But teaching students that they are unable to succeed because of history is a bad policy also.
Both Democrats and Republicans have done things to harm the country, social engineering isn't necessarily a problem, perhaps the way Democrats are doing it is wrong. However a society needs tolerance, it needs to educate people to be adults in the USA.
That's a little vague, though. What specifically do you think we should be teaching them so that they are tolerent adults?

I now teach behavior and social skills. Prior to that I taught math. I have no trouble at all telling parents or anyone else exactly what I am teaching kids, including a day-by-day update of the curriculum if they want to know. From the advocates of woke education, we get vagueries.
The reality is the USA has a problem, slavery to segregation to "it's not slavery or segregation but it ain't right" which exists now. How are you going to change that if you don't change it in schools?
If you're reinforcing prejudice with every generation, you will never have a more inclusive nation.
Democrats have been engineering the schools racially since at least the seventies. The schools are as segregated as they ever have been. Can you name one prominent Democrat in DC who supports integration by sending their own children to DC public schools? Those problems need to be addressed, but it should be plain by now to anyone who is awake instead of "woke" that Democrats do it very badly.

No, money doesn't solve the problem. The problems are so embedded within US society, and neither side of the insane political spectrum is willing to lose power by doing the right thing. Power rules in the US, getting that power, keeping that power, that's the only important thing.

Everything else is secondary. Education is secondary. Literally people are being manipulated, not at school with a curriculum that has been well thought out, but by people the Koch brother (apparently said Coke and not Cock, clearly Cock as it's from German) and Soros who have no responsibilities, there's been no discussion about what should be thrown at people.
Not really sure what you're driving at.
It's why I hate the word "woke", it's a word that's been pushed by the Koch money to allow right wingers to dismiss anything they don't like as "woke" (and yes the left have their words too).
Republicans didn't push the word "woke."

The Democrats co-opted the word "woke" from Africa-Americans who originated it during the times when Democrat lynching was on the rise. It meant at that time to be aware as a black person that there were people who would harm them. Today's Democrats use it to describe themselves in flattering terms, something that they love to do.
How do you teach kids to "succeed"? And succeed in what?
Not everyone can succeed. For you to have an Elon Musk, you need successful people to work under him. For you to have a Walton family, you need low wage workers who will work for peanuts.
The reality is "success" can only be achieved by a percentage of the population. Education needs to cater for all types of people and work with the basis that some people will be at the bottom, but being at the bottom doesn't need to be as bad as it is in the US.
"The bottom?"

This is such typical Democrat elitism. You teach success by teaching the value and dignity of work. You provide them with vocational classes, even if those classes do not help them pass standardized state tests. You emphasize the opportunities for people of all skills and abilities.

What you don't do is teach them that they cannot succeed due to the evilness of the U.S. system (which thousands of people risk their lives every week to get to), and the color of their skin. You also don't teach them that "success" means going to college and nothing else and that college is for everyone.

It isn't. At least it should not be.

Sadly, many colleges have dumbed down, in an attempt to make college for everyone. People who could indeed be successful as welders, cosmetologists, plumbers, CNA's, truck drivers, lumberjacks, oilfield workers, carpenters, and many other well-paid trades are being shamed into attending college. Then they major in some version of Woke Studies, instead of a major with the job title in its name. They can't find work in the field of "being woke" or whatever it would be, so they grow bitter and demand that those welders, truck drivers and lumberjacks pay off their student loans.
So, if I attack Republicans, all you hear is "Democrat"?

A lot of what I write will attack Republicans simply because I'm more likely to converse with Republicans than Democrats. That's because I'm center left and I find intellectually stimulating discussions better than agreeing with people. Democrats are more likely to keep away from and what I say. That's the way it is.

However I will attack Democrats and Republicans alike if what I see is wrong.
Alright.

Lets see some of your attacks on Democrats. Let's see how you respond to the name calling that you will inevitibly be subjected to and how long you stick to whatever attack you make. Start a thread where you attack Democrats, if you are sincere.

Last edited:
"real subjects"....
I think a real subject would be something that gives kids the skills they need to survive and thrive in society.
History is pointless, Geography is even worse, English seems to be pointless as most people can't even use basic "grammer" or spelling. Math is mostly useless as most people won't use most the Math they get after elementary level.

The reality is modern subjects should be a little more varied.

History should be used to make people look at how to deal with sources, decision making, logic, making decent arguments. The actual History is neither here not there. For example.
What exactly do you want to teach them?

Because you don't want to pay for it. With your taxes.

When did you become a Republican?

I am willing to pay for after school art and music clubs. Just not waste the school day and pay a full time teacher for it.

I am willing to pay for after school art and music clubs. Just not waste the school day and pay a full time teacher for it.

Fair enough. I've heard plenty of REPUBLICANS say the same thing. Which you acknowledged previously.

You stepped on a rake trying to troll me. Heh

If you are 100% going to rely on your own investments to sustain your health care, dental care, vision care, and all your needs in your dotage, then you have a valid complaint as to not caring if children are educated.

However if you're depending AT ALL on them to sustain you, they have a right to expect YOU to pay taxes for their education.
Except I have no choice but to use Medicaid. If I had that almost 15% of my lifetime income and invested it, I would be able to take care of all those things but the government has taken that choice away from me

Except I have no choice but to use Medicaid. If I had that almost 15% of my lifetime income and invested it, I would be able to take care of all those things but the government has taken that choice away from me

If by that you mean they subtracted your wages to pay for it, then you have no beef against educating children. Those kids are basically paying for your health care, more than you ever put in--they probably don't want to do that either. You are paying for their education.

We could go back to strict Constitutionalism where "general welfare" doesn't mean we all pay for each other's stuff. But don't pretend you're not getting anything out of it.

If by that you mean they subtracted your wages to pay for it, then you have no beef against educating children. Those kids are basically paying for your health care, more than you ever put in--they probably don't want to do that either. You are paying for their education.

We could go back to strict Constitutionalism where "general welfare" doesn't mean we all pay for each other's stuff. But don't pretend you're not getting anything out of it.
Not really.

Like I said using one corrupt government program as a defense for another is not a convincing argument.

When I was still working I had to teach public school graduates how to use a tape measure because they never learned how to use a ruler or to compute fractional lengths. So really I never got what I paid for when it came education of young people so they could be productive employees. Now these same people are whining for me to pay their college dents too.

Not really.

Like I said using one corrupt government program as a defense for another is not a convincing argument.

When I was still working I had to teach public school graduates how to use a tape measure because they never learned how to use a ruler or to compute fractional lengths. So really I never got what I paid for when it came education of young people so they could be productive employees. Now these same people are whining for me to pay their college dents too.

If you're benefitting from one "corrupt govt program" you have no standing to complain about another other's benefit from.

If you're benefitting from one "corrupt govt program" you have no standing to complain about another other's benefit from.
I'm not benefiting from SS as I have said over and over SS has cost me literally over a million dollars in lost opportunity costs alone

"I tried out for choir in 3rd grade and didn't make it"--NO. Ugh, no. No "audition only" choirs in third grade please. If you want to sing, you're in. It's third grade! However to prove that I'm not of the "participation trophy" generation: I have auditions for solos and select from there. But if children so young want to sing--let them!
Yes, this is my one objection to activities such sports, arts, theater, etc. Sports in particular should be available to students who would not make the football, basketball, soccer, volleyball, or track team due to size or ability. Have one varsity team to represent the school, but also have intramural teams, so all can participate. Students who are not that athletic are ironically the ones who need athletics most.

Our theater program is very good. Any student who takes drama classes gets to participate in the plays they put on, as an actor, an understudy, or behind the scenes. Everyone can take Choir, but as with your program, only the really good singers are in the advanced group that does solos. Every kid gets to sing in front of parents on concert night. If someone has a Peter Brady voice-cracking moment, who cares? It's kids.

Yes, this is my one objection to activities such sports, arts, theater, etc. Sports in particular should be available to students who would not make the football, basketball, soccer, volleyball, or track team due to size or ability. Have one varsity team to represent the school, but also have intramural teams, so all can participate. ...
They already have that.

What you don't understand is that like anything else, when there is demand, the supply will be created........it used to be only the rich had cell phones....now every American has a cell phone....

If you give the money to the student, new schools will open up. Right now, there is a monopoly on schools......so there is limited choice. If the students in an area have money, then people will open up schools to take care of those students.

Until that happens, the parents can work out how to get their kids to other schools...I have a friend who is a school bus driver. They drive for a private religious school, and they drive 40 miles to pick up kids to attend that school. The school provides that bus service...most of the kids who go to that school get financial assistance from the school to attend.

Now imagine if the money is available to attend any school the student wants to go to......they can then get bus rides to that school instead of getting trapped in the democrat party run school they are forced to attend simply because they can't afford to move......

That is one of the biggest lies that public education bashers use to justify vouchers. When I taught in Florida, the state had vouchers. No private schools were created. Charter schools did a quick death when they were mismanaged financially so badly, they were forced to close.

Most large private schools have their own bus transportation system. You are simply ignorant of reality.

Forum List

Back