What is ethnicity?

Mortimer

Gold Member
Sep 29, 2010
Kings of Con
Cultural or Ancestry?

Discussion:

Guy A)
Thats what ethnicity is. Its about culture. People from different races can be within the same cultural group.

What usually happens is that people within a cultural group just end up marrying each other more. Thats all. but people from outside can integrate.
Ethnicity is not about ancestry. Maybe heritage can include ancestey. But ethnicity is not spefically ancestry.

Mortimer)
Thats not always true but sometimes it is true. Like being latino/hispanic or brazilian but for example being roma like i am indeed has alot to do with ancestry/genetics and racial visibility.

It's a highly populated area with a huge amount of ethni living amongst each other

Only americans call minorities "ethnic" but that is interesting. In Europe I hear ethnicity in context for example with ethnic cleansing or genocide though.

It's a highly populated area with a huge amount of ethni living amongst each other

Only americans call minorities "ethnic" but that is interesting. In Europe I hear ethnicity in context for example with ethnic cleansing or genocide though.
Try this one from Oxford English dictionary. ethnicity The fact or state of belonging to a social group that has a common national or cultural tradition.
What in America was supposed to be a big melting pot, in many segments is not, as people cling to traditions of race and country of origin, and quickly becoming even more divided along these lines at an alarming pace, with the negative leadership using it to divide for fun, profit and control of one type or another.

I am French, German, Norwegian and Scottish, so what does that make me?

A Viking Mutt with some German in me...

American or Anglo-American or White American. That qualifies a own ethnicity in the USA. Germanic-Celtic American.

I was not born in America, and was born in Canada thus is why I can not be what you just wrote...

I am a mutt actually seeing my Father side of the family is Normandy French which if you know the history of the region is mixed with Viking raid parties that settled the region long ago and married within the population.

My mother side of the family is German from Bavaria Germany region ( Grandfather side ) and from Islay Scotland and Telemark region of Norway ( Grandmother side ).

So no I am not American born nor would I be consider Anglo-American seeing I am only second generation born on this continent...

For some people (such as I), the word "ethnicity" is a gentle euphemism for "race."

For some reason, longer words in English often seem to sound less harsh. E.g., "African American" sounds smoother to me than the abrupt "Black." And I ALWAYS refer to a "Jewish person," never the three-letter word that Jewish people themselves use but sounds too curt to me.

I have noticed that questionnaires often use the word "ethnicity" when they want to know a person's race.

In fact, some kind people are so determined to avoid the word "race" that they may ask, "Excuse me. May I ask what your nationality is?" (Of course, "nationality" only applies to one's citizenship.)

Last edited:
For some people (such as I), the word "ethnicity" is a gentle euphemism for "race."

For some reason, longer words in English often seem to sound less harsh. E.g., "African American" sounds smoother to me than the abrupt "Black." And I ALWAYS refer to a "Jewish person," never the three-letter word that Jewish people themselves use but sounds too curt to me.

I have noticed that forms often use the word "ethnicity" when they want to know a person's race.

In fact, some kind people are so determined to avoid the word "race" that they may ask, "Excuse me. May ask what your nationality is?" (Of course, "nationality" only applies to one's citizenship.)

I am whiter than Casper the friendly ghost, so if someone need to know my race still after seeing me, well how blind are you?

Forum List

Back