What Is Death?

I thought about that, went away and watched “Escape to the Chateau”.

And yes, what’s the point?
Life is it's own point. Cram as much novel experience into your limited time on this earth and you will face death without regret.

C2200542-68DE-44AE-8949-F147A216C833.jpeg

The point is to get out of the way so that others may pick up where you left off. So make your marks while you can. Publish, record, sculpt, design, create, experiment. Plant trees and ideas. Raise and teach children. Put out fires. Save people. Preserve what merits preserving. Celebrate all the beautiful things with as many as possible. Unless you prefer being remembered as a stinker, in which case.. Get sick. Die quickly.

Do you remember how you learned the Alphabet? A, B, C, D… and so on, right? At some point, you probably had a nice picture book to help you out: “A” is for apple you dutifully learned. “B” is for ball. “C” is for cat.

The acrostic wasn’t always so cute. In seventeenth-century New England, A was not for apple. No, you’d learn “A” is for Adam along with the couplet, “In Adam’s fall, we sinned all.” Yes, “C” is for Cat, but the poem went, “The cat doth play, and after slay.” It’s darker, isn’t it?

By the time you get to “G,” you’re learning that “As runs the [hour] glass, man’s life doth pass.” “T” is not for toy or tricycle but for “Time,” which “cuts down all, both great and small.” By the time you get to X the point has been made: “Xerxes the great did die, and so must you and I.”

These dour little couplets are from the New England Primer, one of the most famous books printed in the American colonies—a book used to teach countless children to read.

Can you imagine if an elementary school tried to use these today? Parents would revolt and say these are too morose and morbid for children. But I wonder if they weren’t onto something back then when they began teaching children about the reality of death early on.

Today, we don’t much like to talk about death. We prefer to avoid, ignore, and deny it. But we can’t. In a three-part series of blog posts for Shepherds and Scholars, I want to look squarely at death and answer three key questions from Genesis 5: (1) What is it? (2) What causes it? and (3) What, if anything, can be done about it?

Let’s begin with the nature of death. Is death great and terrible, or is it simply part of life? It is perhaps even a positive good as it’s portrayed in The Lion King’s opening song, the “Circle of Life.” Are we all just “on the endless round,” “the path unwinding”? Is death simply part of the inevitability of it all?

Do you remember how you learned the Alphabet? A, B, C, D… and so on, right? At some point, you probably had a nice picture book to help you out: “A” is for apple you dutifully learned. “B” is for ball. “C” is for cat.

The acrostic wasn’t always so cute. In seventeenth-century New England, A was not for apple. No, you’d learn “A” is for Adam along with the couplet, “In Adam’s fall, we sinned all.” Yes, “C” is for Cat, but the poem went, “The cat doth play, and after slay.” It’s darker, isn’t it?

By the time you get to “G,” you’re learning that “As runs the [hour] glass, man’s life doth pass.” “T” is not for toy or tricycle but for “Time,” which “cuts down all, both great and small.” By the time you get to X the point has been made: “Xerxes the great did die, and so must you and I.”

These dour little couplets are from the New England Primer, one of the most famous books printed in the American colonies—a book used to teach countless children to read.

Can you imagine if an elementary school tried to use these today? Parents would revolt and say these are too morose and morbid for children. But I wonder if they weren’t onto something back then when they began teaching children about the reality of death early on.

Today, we don’t much like to talk about death. We prefer to avoid, ignore, and deny it. But we can’t. In a three-part series of blog posts for Shepherds and Scholars, I want to look squarely at death and answer three key questions from Genesis 5: (1) What is it? (2) What causes it? and (3) What, if anything, can be done about it?

Let’s begin with the nature of death. Is death great and terrible, or is it simply part of life? It is perhaps even a positive good as it’s portrayed in The Lion King’s opening song, the “Circle of Life.” Are we all just “on the endless round,” “the path unwinding”? Is death simply part of the inevitability of it all?

"What is death?' I'd say the opposite of life for a simplified answer. For your last questions I'd say, don't worry about physical death as we as humanity appear to all have a 'scheduled'(?) rendezvous with mister Reaper. What one NEEDS to worry about is, when the lights go out what happens then, if the lights turn back on!!!? My guess is if the lights do come back on that it could go either of two ways, a nightmare or an 'easy landing'. There is a possibility of a third option(?) & that would be a not too good to a not so bad experience.

The problem with our bodies dying is that NO ONE throughout history to date has ever figured out what "WE" are. We call ourselves a human being, & we all understand that human = physical body but what is the 'BEING' part of us made out of??? I included the link below because it's got to have a hundred forty eleven or more so called explanations of what a 'Being' is; eg. Being = a thing, existence, life, essence, etc. etc. etc. but gives no explanation what OUR Being is made out of, which seems to me to reside inside of our heads(?) or @ least that's how it feels to me except I cannot physical feel my Being inside my head as it's just there???

I could go on & on & on but we all seem to be like the blind leading the blind on this subject. I enjoyed my philosophy class but found out what I thought going in was a "class anyone could ace" to be a more challenging/aggravating class than I previously thought possible. Just too many questions/speculations & far too few answers. Adding in a little Churchill/jackflash mix here; "Life/death is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma.

A change of trains .

Moving out of the material universe for a time .

1) What is death?

The total opposite of birth.

2) What causes it?

No birthday, no deathday.

3) What, if anything, can be done about it?

You can enjoy your birthday, but you cannot enjoy your deathday( the dead get pleasure from deathday cakes? ). Gee,I like philosophy now! lol. :)

Same.
Just pets.
That's bad enough.

Anyway, my hope is death is a transition.
I like to believe our experiences and memories somehow live on like a download into a universal conciousness.
Otherwise, seems like just a big waste of time.
They honored you with their trust to be the one person they would love to be around as their last memory before dying. I had dogs at two different times who so honored me. Their entire lives are in loving obedience to the person who feeds them, plays with them, teaches them, cares for them. They wanted to honor you because they valued your lifetime of serving their every need including --ick-- visiting the veterinarian who entered their space. but since you were there, they took their medicine. And they got well usually. They get it, you know. You must be an amazing man for the animal kingdom. :thup:

The dying process begins with the loss of function of one of the three classic vital organs: heart, brain, lungs. It occurs rapidly as the disorganized activity of the fibrillating heart produces cessation of circulation, which in turn causes loss of consciousness and respiratory drive within seconds. My mother recently died from sudden cardiac arrest caused by ventricular fibrillation, a type of arrhythmia that she had been suffering from. When I found her unconscious at 2:30 am, she wasn't breathing. It was the worst experience of my life.

Last edited:
This March it will be two years since my Daughter passed away at the age of 29. Losing a child is a pain that cannot be put into words. You just learn to live with it. You have to because it never leaves you.

Forum List

Back