What in the world is a "kit" or a "hat"?

Fed Starving

Mar 26, 2020
USA
Over the years I started to notice that some people refer to their high positions or employment as a 'kit' or sometimes they say something like, "no sir, I got a hat". But of course they are not carrying a kit with them nor wearing a real hat. So what they mean is some idealogue that they don't want to discuss in detail. Its sort of like a tip off.

I was thinking maybe they meant something like, "My kit is my package deal."

Anyone let me know about this subtle thing called I got a kit I got a hat and dissolve the mystery.

Over the years I started to notice that some people refer to their high positions or employment as a 'kit' or sometimes they say something like, "no sir, I got a hat". But of course they are not carrying a kit with them nor wearing a real hat. So what they mean is some idealogue that they don't want to discuss in detail. Its sort of like a tip off.

Anyone let me know abput this subtle thing called I got a kit I got a hat and dissolve the mystery.
It's just SLANG, Fed.

I suppose its sort a uniform. 'Kit' or 'hat' eludes to 'not one of a kind', as if saying, "Hey man, I got my deal off the shelf right there and its just like the others."

So I guess you could say that if it is a kit then you are not connected deep and servicing your kit would be limited and you would be on your own, with whatever that is.

'Kit' is British / Commonwealth slang for 'equipment.

As in... 'Ive got all my kit' or I'm all kitted up.
My first thought is always "drum kit" but in the context kit was used had absolutely nothing to do with musical instruments. I also think of first aid kit.

Is this where the phrase, "The whole kit and kaboodle" comes from?

Not sure, but I did have a drill sergeant say that we was gonna shit in my mess kit one time.

I was skeered.
He-he! Well, then your mess kit would've been a REAL mess. I sh*t you not! AND you COULD'VE called it your "sh*t kit"......

Anyone let me know about this subtle thing called I got a kit I got a hat and dissolve the mystery.
Never heard that before...but I also don't tend to socialize with those type a folks.

When I was in the Army, your kit was synonymous your loadout.

The only time I ever say 'kit' is in reference to football kit...uniform. I also say 'strip' for the jersey.
These are all Euro terms.

Is this where the phrase, "The whole kit and kaboodle" comes from?

Not sure, but I did have a drill sergeant say that we was gonna shit in my mess kit one time.

I was skeered.
At least he didn't threaten to sh*t in your hat.....
Still not as bad as ripping your head off and shitting down your neck hole.

Forum List

Back