What, If Anything, Should Be Done About Delta's Price Gouging During Hurricane Evacuation?

easyt65

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2015
Was Delta "price gouging" people evacuating from Miami? - Hot Air

Airline standard price of $547 'suddenly jumping t more than $3,200'.

AFTER word got out / Delta's 'price gouging was reported airlines began capping their ticket prices. Jet Blue, for example, only charged $99-$159 per 1-way flight for Floridians fleeing Hurricane Irma. American set their prices at $99 a ticket. Even Delta quickly changed course and declared they would not charge more than $399 - still double or almost quadruple their competition.

"Would this qualify as “price gouging” during a disaster? The fact is that airline fares are an insane subject of study to begin with, and popular routes during peak hours can have wild variations in cost. It’s supply and demand. Right now the demand to get out of Miami is probably through the roof even with the airlines adding extra flights, so you’d expect prices to go up.

The penalty for this normally wouldn’t (or at least shouldn’t) come from the government. In a more equitable industry, people would be disgusted by Delta’s actions and go elsewhere. But there’s no actual competition to speak of between the few remaining major carriers so they are free to treat you as badly as they wish, and since you still need to travel, you’ll keep coming back for more."

So, should anything be done against Delta, and if so, what?

seems to me that the rule should be that prices should be set at what the market will bear . Course the private owner of goods and services can charge high or low as it should be up to him Easy .

Hopefully it will give them bad publicity. Other airlines could always use that as an advertising point: "We've never price-gouged people in danger like Delta did."

Delta sucks. The last time I flew with them they charged me $2 for a bottle of water. After not allowing me to bring a 99 cent bottle on to the plane that I'd bought in the SECURE gate area and that I had to throw away.

Jet Blue gave me free ginger ale and pretzels with refills.

A chain store increased gallons of water in my town 40c overnight. Price gouging can violate the law.

Its capitalism in action. Where is the problem ?
No it is not.

It is price gouging.

You can blame capitalism if all of the Airlines jacked up their rates during a crisis.

It is a violation Tommy.
Its pretty shit I will agree. Seen it over here when there have been shortages. Petrol stations doubling their prices.
I remember these things and I dont shop there any more.
What would you do though ?

No it is not.

It is price gouging.

You can blame capitalism if all of the Airlines jacked up their rates during a crisis.

It is a violation Tommy.
Its pretty shit I will agree. Seen it over here when there have been shortages. Petrol stations doubling their prices.

You do understand Tommy, that most of us who support capitalism support it in a fair, functional, reasonable manner that doesn't cause major problems? We are a capitalist nation which has laws against cartoonish price-gouging.

Delta sucks. The last time I flew with them they charged me $2 for a bottle of water. After not allowing me to bring a 99 cent bottle on to the plane that I'd bought in the SECURE gate area and that I had to throw away.

I have found American owned airlines in general treat their customers like shit. Foreign owned airlines are much better.

No it is not.

It is price gouging.

It is a violation Tommy.

They can only charge as much as there is a market for. If people couldn't pay $3200 for a ticket they wouldn't be charging that much.

I'm seeing companies like Comcast and Spectrum are opening up their WiFi networks for free usage for anyone. Not just in Fl, all over so people can keep in touch.

No it is not.

It is price gouging.

It is a violation Tommy.
Expose them.

Bring criminal charges and prosecute.

The public should take their business elsewhere.

No it is not.

It is price gouging.

It is a violation Tommy.

You do understand Tommy, that most of us who support capitalism support it in a fair, functional, reasonable manner that doesn't cause major problems? We are a capitalist nation which has laws against cartoonish price-gouging.

But what do you suggest ?
You dont want to regulate fares as that would push prices up.

And once you start with this it is difficult to stop.

What should happen is that the Air Force should mobilise and pick up everybody that needs to be moved.

Would that be acceptable to Americans ?

No it is not.

It is price gouging.

It is a violation Tommy.
Expose them.

Bring criminal charges and prosecute.

The public should take their business elsewhere.
1. Yes
2. What is the charge ?
3. Definately

I have found American owned airlines in general treat their customers like shit. Foreign owned airlines are much better.
You have never flown Ryanair I guess ?

There are laws against price gouging in FL, but I don't think airline tickets is covered under the statute.

Florida Attorney General - Price Gouging Hotline

The Price Gouging Statute covers only essential commodities. A “commodity” means any good, service, material, merchandise, supplies, equipment, resources, or other article of commerce, and includes, without limitation, food, water, ice, chemicals, petroleum products, and lumber necessary for consumption or use as a direct result of the emergency. The law also requires those selling goods and services to possess an occupational license. Examples of non-essential items luxury items are alcoholic beverages and cigarettes.

I'm seeing companies like Comcast and Spectrum are opening up their WiFi networks for free usage for anyone. Not just in Fl, all over so people can keep in touch.
------------------------------------------------------------------- their business so its THEIR emotional or caring , charitable decision , good for them if thats what THEY want to do .

Last edited:
but a guy that owns cases of water or gallons of gas should be able to sell HIS goods for whatever he can get for it .

Forum List

Back