What happened to the Alaskan Snow crabs?

Overfishing. Salmon stocks face the same thing.

Example- I moved to AK in 1978 with my family.
Back then, you could go fish off the docks in Seward, Whittier, other seaside towns & catch King Crab right under the pilings with a rod, reel & bacon wrapped in panty hose on a treble hook.
You'd pull them up at night, once they saw the light coming up, they'd try to let go but the claws would stick in the stocking long enough to get a long pole net underneath them.
They'd drop in the net, we'd pull them out & cook them right there.

It's been over 3 decades since that was possible.
Everything is getting overfished.
My buddies that set net for salmon usually struggle to make a profit & that was before the price of fuel skyrocketed.

Even the quota limits don't stop them from reducing the overall numbers either gradually or quickly.
Stop the commercial fisheries for a while & the stocks will come back eventually.
Otherwise, we will harvest them all to practical extinction

At $80 a pound retail you can bet they’re pulling them out of the water like there’s no tomorrow.

At $80 a pound retail you can bet they’re pulling them out of the water like there’s no tomorrow.
Good Lord!

The EBT crowd will show-up when they put frozen legs (not sure which kind) in the freezer bunker at Walmart and clean them out in no time.

LOL.....It's like when the old farts used to hang about and "neckbeard" ammo there instead of following the trout stocking truck around.

Good Lord!

The EBT crowd will show-up when they put frozen legs (not sure which kind) in the freezer bunker at Walmart and clean them out in no time.

LOL.....It's like when the old farts used to hang about and "neckbeard" ammo there instead of following the trout stocking truck around.

Darn. That means Walmart will be out of imitation crabmeat this afternoon. I should have gone there early this morning.

It was only a few years ago they were $20 a pound so it wasn't a big deal to pick up 5 or 6 lbs.
But the quality has also gone down used to be 2 or 3 legs were more than most could eat now you'd need 6.
You'd have to ass up a good $400 bucks now days.
That up there with A5 Wagyu.

Forum List

Back