What does America stand for? and what makes an American Patriot?

frigidweirdo

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2014
I see a lot of people, especially on the right, like Bush92 telling people they're un-American for watching football, or protesting.

So, what does America stand for? What are the principles of the USA?

Personally I thought it would have been what the Founding Fathers set down in the Bill of Rights and Constitution. Human Rights are important, treating people fairly and equally, people having the right to talk about politics, people having the right to be left alone by the US govt, but also a government which listened to its people, which represented its people, which worked to improve the country for its people.

What makes an American Patriot?

In my view the term "patriot" is as vague as some other words like "love". What does it mean? Most people don't really know. They know it means that a person loves their country, but how much does a person really love their country? How much of the country do you need to actually love in order for you to be a "patriot".

Clearly you can't love everything and everyone in your country. Many people proclaiming to patriots fly the Confederate flag, a flag of treason, other people will pound on Obama, pound on Trump, pound on the government at home, criticize it massively when their "side" isn't in power. Does this make you not be a patriot?

Neo-liberalism has destroyed America's collective consciousness. We have been reduced to a bunch of individuals competing with one another in the marketplace. I don't think America has any principles by which we can all unite.

Neo-liberalism has destroyed America's collective consciousness. We have been reduced to a bunch of individuals competing with one another in the marketplace. I don't think America has any principles by which we can all unite.

Or maybe it's destroyed something you want, but you don't get everything you want.

For an example on the definition of sheer patriotism, all you have to do is look at me, Steve McGarrett-American Patriot.

Or maybe it's destroyed something you want, but you don't get everything you want.
Well, I already stated that I thought America's collective consciousness was destroyed. If that doesn't satisfy you then perhaps you ought to tell me what it is I want.

I see a lot of people, especially on the right, like Bush92 telling people they're un-American for watching football, or protesting.

Personally I thought it would have been what the Founding Fathers set down in the Bill of Rights and Constitution. Human Rights are important, treating people fairly and equally, people having the right to talk about politics, people having the right to be left alone by the US govt, but also a government which listened to its people, which represented its people, which worked to improve the country for its people.

In my view the term "patriot" is as vague as some other words like "love". What does it mean? Most people don't really know. They know it means that a person loves their country, but how much does a person really love their country? How much of the country do you need to actually love in order for you to be a "patriot".

Clearly you can't love everything and everyone in your country. Many people proclaiming to patriots fly the Confederate flag, a flag of treason, other people will pound on Obama, pound on Trump, pound on the government at home, criticize it massively when their "side" isn't in power. Does this make you not be a patriot?

What is an American Patriot?
Think the exact opposite of most on the Left.

pa·tri·ot
ˈpātrēət/
noun
noun: patriot; plural noun: patriots; noun: Patriot
  1. 1.
    a person who vigorously supports their country and is prepared to defend it against enemies or detractors.
    synonyms: nationalist, loyalist; More
    chauvinist, jingoist, flag-waver
    "would a true patriot abandon a comrade?"

Definition of patriot
    :eek:ne who loves his or her country and supports its authority and interests
    • … praised him as a … motivated patriot who was fearless in the quest to preserve American security.
    • —W. R. Hearst, Jr.

Well, I already stated that I thought America's collective consciousness was destroyed. If that doesn't satisfy you then perhaps you ought to tell me what it is I want.

What I meant was that different people want different things. You want one thing, you want the country to go in one direction, but the US is a semi-democracy and as such other people have other views.

You say that there aren't any principles with which the people can unite. Hardly surprising with the partisan politics and the rich controlling politics.

Until the people take politics back from the rich, nothing will change. But that doesn't mean it'll go the way you want it.

pa·tri·ot
ˈpātrēət/
noun
  1. 1.
    a person who vigorously supports their country and is prepared to defend it against enemies or detractors.

Definition of patriot
    • … praised him as a … motivated patriot who was fearless in the quest to preserve American security.
    • —W. R. Hearst, Jr.

And what is the enemy of the country? The right say the left, the left say the right.

When those waving confederate flags claim to be patriots, when they're supporting treason, and they'll justify blindly and devotedly their view of the world, and they make their enemies in order to pound on others, then you find it's not as easy as a dictionary definition.

You are either an un-American or a racist.

Either way you are a Nazi though.

Caring about you country and fighting for what you feel is best for your country ad a whole is patriotic

Not everyone agrees on what that is, so, differing or rather OPPOSING views are considered unpatriotic

Liberty - freedom to defend you Christian beliefs

Liberty - freedom to fight for gay rights and change laws

Ultimately, the Country becomes what the majority want it to be, or, it becomes a single or bodily dictatorship

pa·tri·ot
ˈpātrēət/
noun
  1. 1.

Definition of patriot
    • —W. R. Hearst, Jr.

And what is the enemy of the country? The right say the left, the left say the right.

When those waving confederate flags claim to be patriots, when they're supporting treason, and they'll justify blindly and devotedly their view of the world, and they make their enemies in order to pound on others, then you find it's not as easy as a dictionary definition.

No, no.....don't become confused. The Left would love to redefine what it means to be a "Patriot". Sorry, it is what it is...it means what it means. Nothing gray about it.
Take the Lefty spin off the civil war and you'll quickly see "The South" felt that government was depriving them of their constitutional rights. They fought the only way they knew how in an attempt to preserve those rights. THE END

You are either an un-American or a racist.

Either way you are a Nazi though.

Sure, and you're a pixie.

pa·tri·ot
ˈpātrēət/
noun
  1. 1.

Definition of patriot
    • —W. R. Hearst, Jr.

No, no.....don't become confused. The Left would love to redefine what it means to be a "Patriot". Sorry, it is what it is...it means what it means. Nothing gray about it.
Take the Lefty spin off the civil war and you'll quickly see "The South" felt that government was depriving them of their constitutional rights. They fought the only way they knew how in an attempt to preserve those rights. THE END

So, it means what it means, but you won't discuss what it means because.....

because what? Because you can't? Most likely.

It doesn't matter what the South thought. There's something in the Constitution which specifically defines what treason is, and the Confederates were sure as hell doing what it says in the Constitution. You've read the Constitution I assume.

What I meant was that different people want different things. You want one thing, you want the country to go in one direction, but the US is a semi-democracy and as such other people have other views.

You say that there aren't any principles with which the people can unite. Hardly surprising with the partisan politics and the rich controlling politics.

Until the people take politics back from the rich, nothing will change. But that doesn't mean it'll go the way you want it.
I am under no illusion that society will be organized the way I want. I am only offering my 2 cents on why I believe we are so divided.

pa·tri·ot
ˈpātrēət/
noun
  1. 1.

Definition of patriot
    • —W. R. Hearst, Jr.

So, it means what it means, but you won't discuss what it means because.....

because what? Because you can't? Most likely.

It doesn't matter what the South thought. There's something in the Constitution which specifically defines what treason is, and the Confederates were sure as hell doing what it says in the Constitution. You've read the Constitution I assume.

Their is not really much to discuss about the meaning of a common word.

What you are trying to do is muddle the issue.

The "kneelers" are "detracting" from our nation, by refusing to show respect and loyalty to the Flag and the nation for which it stands.

That makes them NOT patriotic.

And you want to muddle that obvious truth, that is what your thread is about.

I am under no illusion that society will be organized the way I want. I am only offering my 2 cents on why I believe we are so divided.

And I am offering my two cents back. Sometimes what people want is based on reality, and sometimes it's based on a dream.

Forum List

Back