What do you understand about FDR? Did FDR want a war with Japan? For answers, check here

Japan wanted a free hand in annexing land in the Far East, and wanted to seize colonies held there by European powers
No doubt about that or that Japan was pissed at FDR for things he did to them.

FDR did not want war but perhaps handled things in such a way to make it inevitable we would be involved in what he hoped would stay a European war. The Americans and Japanese were working on a peace treaty and were coming to the end of what would hopefully be successful negotiations when Pearl Harbor was attacked. Japanese personnel were at their embassy in Washington DC and our embassy in Tokyo was fully staffed and operating normally when the attack occurred.

FDR had declined pleas from England for help staving off German attacks and did not want America to become involved. But he did not rule out passive help or object when a number of American aviators went to England to reinforce the RAF when Germany was repeatedly attacking England. As a precaution though, as of September 1941, our military had orders to fire on any German warship approaching the U.S. coast that did not turn around when ordered to do so. At the same time we had a fully staffed and active embassy in Germany and they in Washington DC until the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor in December 1941. When we declared war on Japan as a result of that attack, Germany who was allied with Japan then declared war on us. We had no choice but to reciprocate and what was then relabeled WWII was on.
I don't believe the treaty you speak of was supported one bit by Japan. I was trying to stick to Japan and it's war and not bring in the Germans and Italians bit.
I would say were we citizens of Japan that we did not want war with the US either and attacked Pearl Harbor to nullify the US ability to wage war.
We are not such citizens. As to Germany and Italy, same reasoning. Why would they want war with the USA? The USA was not ready for war. But the USA could get ready pretty fast as FDR did.

I don't believe the treaty you speak of was supported one bit by Japan. I was trying to stick to Japan and it's war and not bring in the Germans and Italians bit.
I would say were we citizens of Japan that we did not want war with the US either and attacked Pearl Harbor to nullify the US ability to wage war.
We are not such citizens. As to Germany and Italy, same reasoning. Why would they want war with the USA? The USA was not ready for war. But the USA could get ready pretty fast as FDR did.
Actually those involved said they were getting close to an agreement. Those negotiating as well as their embassy personnel were just as surprised at the Pearl Harbor attack as we were. Did we know it was coming? No or we would not have had most of our warships at anchor there.

Actually those involved said they were getting close to an agreement. Those negotiating as well as their embassy personnel were just as surprised at the Pearl Harbor attack as we were. Did we know it was coming? No or we would not have had most of our warships at anchor there.
That is entirely plausible. But I am trying to explain this from Japan's view. We have a huge problem in the US by ignoring history as seen from the Enemy point of view.

I liken it to a dispute with a family member where just one side is exposed. The side not exposed also has views on the incident among the family. Dr. Phil capitalizes on this truism.

Japan's fleet was already dispatched. It meant business. I posted one page of a McCullum paper where he proposed to FDR how to bait Japan into attacking us.

That is entirely plausible. But I am trying to explain this from Japan's view. We have a huge problem in the US by ignoring history as seen from the Enemy point of view.

I liken it to a dispute with a family member where just one side is exposed. The side not exposed also has views on the incident among the family. Dr. Phil capitalizes on this truism.

Japan's fleet was already dispatched. It meant business. I posted one page of a McCullum paper where he proposed to FDR how to bait Japan into attacking us.
There are always war hawks among us but history is pretty solid that FDR was not one of them. That it was recommended to him, if that actually happened, does not incriminate FDR in any way. FDR doesn't get my vote for a great president because of so many of his policies that set very bad precedents that we're now paying for bigtime. But I do not believe he wanted to be the president that took us to an extremely costly war in blood and treasure.

There are always war hawks among us but history is pretty solid that FDR was not one of them. That it was recommended to him, if that actually happened, does not incriminate FDR in any way. FDR doesn't get my vote for a great president because of so many of his policies that set very bad precedents that we're now paying for bigtime. But I do not believe he wanted to be the president that took us to an extremely costly war in blood and treasure.
I believe we are in agreement. I have not claimed yet that I recall that FDR wanted war. I think he expected it and made plans due to his expectations.

I believe we are in agreement. I have not claimed yet that I recall that FDR wanted war. I think he expected it and made plans due to his expectations.
FDR knew then that if we didn’t help our Allies in Europe they would fall. He responded with courage and leveled up America respect worldwide.

Republic pols today know the same in regard to Ukraine and still fail to respond with the courage required.

He DID use the Lend-Lease policy to bootstrap us out of the Depression..which was a good thing for the US.
It did help a bit. But the true reason the country left the great depression was due to the US waging war on Japan and Germany and Italy.

FDR knew then that if we didn’t help our Allies in Europe they would fall. He responded with courage and leveled up America respect worldwide.

Republic pols today know the same in regard to Ukraine and still fail to respond with the courage required.
We noticed from the start that Biden does not know how to defeat the Russians. He would not make a decent corporal. Ukraine pleads for the proper help and Biden denies it to them.

It did help a bit. But the true reason the country left the great depression was due to the US waging war on Japan and Germany and Italy.
America was attacked bob. Hitler declared war on us.

What brought America fully out of the Great Depression was massive government spending.

If our country followed the republic party no government action would have happened after Wall Street crashed and we would have been isolationist and stayed out of the Great War. Which would have given the Axis powers much of the world as conquest.

We noticed from the start that Biden does not know how to defeat the Russians. He would not make a decent corporal. Ukraine pleads for the proper help and Biden denies it to them.
Bullshit bob

Courage by FDR would be to declare war on Germany after they attacked our allies. Waiting to be bombed was his way to kill our citizens first. I am not guessing at all. That is what he actually did.

America was attacked bob. Hitler declared war on us.

What brought America fully out of the Great Depression was massive government spending.

I figured all posters knew that. Those who think you are wrong are urged to read the book called the Forgotten Man by Amity Shlaes.

My problem is that FDR set up the attack by Japan which killed several thousand of our citizens.

Who's complaining? I mentioned it in response to your constant suggestion that the US was just carrying water for China in the Pacific Theater.
No, you were loathe to give America any credit at all

Courage by FDR would be to declare war on Germany after they attacked our allies. Waiting to be bombed was his way to kill our citizens first. I am not guessing at all. That is what he actually did.
Bob, clearly your conservative bias has affected your understanding of facts leading up to our involvement in WWII. FDR could not have unilaterally declared war on the Axis power no matter how much courage he possessed. Republic opposition in Congress would have stopped any declaration of war. They actually wanted to kill the lend-lease program which was keeping Britian afloat. Even with the sinking of the Lusitania. Public opinion was 80% against involvement.

Also, it's complete bullshit that FDR knew of or planned to let Japan attack Pearl Harbor.

Your guessing needs a colonoscopy.

I figured all posters knew that. Those who think you are wrong are urged to read the book called the Forgotten Man by Amity Shlaes.

My problem is that FDR set up the attack by Japan which killed several thousand of our citizens.
The book by Amity is filled with errors and visions of capitalistic utopia. That what would have solved the Great Depression was individual self-help.

One would be urged to forgo her revisionist crap and read a book about John Maynard Keyes.

Forum List

Back