Zone1 What Do You Call This Church, Is It Christian?

When you lift up the downtrodden you practice true religion. Everything else is just mystical mumbo-jumbo.
First, who are you identifying as "downtrodden"? What makes them that way? Next, how are they being uplifted?

Jesus had a message: To discern the will of God and to follow it. Are these people being helped in discerning the way of God and in following it?

Let's look at the downside and darker side of the homeless population. Drug addicts. Jesus did not say, "Subsidize the drugs addicts. Make sure they get their next fix." Some have no wish to work or support themselves. Jesus did not say, "Feed and house those who can work but refuse to do so." There are those who are mentally ill. Jesus did not say, "Do away with homes and public care for the mentally ill and leave them on the streets."

Nor was Jesus an advocate of acting outside sexual norms. He did not say, "Be totally accepting of sexual deviancy to the extend you encourage and mutilate children in such ways."

Christians both teach and practice the ways of the Lord, and the way of the Lord is Kingdom living. Anymore, the root problem is not homelessness, the root problem is what causes homelessness. It is becoming increasingly obvious that much of what is causing homelessness is drug addiction, poor work ethics, mental health issues, and choice. Giving food, drink, and shelter to the issues may be giving, but it is not--and should not be--Christian giving. Christian giving has more depth. It also reaches the soul.

That's because churches are a thing of men predominately concerned with social control. Worry less about clergymen and their institutions and more about how you represent the faith you feel compelled to defend.

The accuser of the brethren takes so many guises.

First, who are you identifying as "downtrodden"? What makes them that way? Next, how are they being uplifted?

Jesus had a message: To discern the will of God and to follow it. Are these people being helped in discerning the way of God and in following it?

Let's look at the downside and darker side of the homeless population. Drug addicts. Jesus did not say, "Subsidize the drugs addicts. Make sure they get their next fix." Some have no wish to work or support themselves. Jesus did not say, "Feed and house those who can work but refuse to do so." There are those who are mentally ill. Jesus did not say, "Do away with homes and public care for the mentally ill and leave them on the streets."

Nor was Jesus an advocate of acting outside sexual norms. He did not say, "Be totally accepting of sexual deviancy to the extend you encourage and mutilate children in such ways."

Christians both teach and practice the ways of the Lord, and the way of the Lord is Kingdom living. Anymore, the root problem is not homelessness, the root problem is what causes homelessness. It is becoming increasingly obvious that much of what is causing homelessness is drug addiction, poor work ethics, mental health issues, and choice. Giving food, drink, and shelter to the issues may be giving, but it is not--and should not be--Christian giving. Christian giving has more depth. It also reaches the soul.
Sounds like you've found a moral justification for passing by on the other side of the road. Congratulations.

Sounds like you've found a moral justification for passing by on the other side of the road. Congratulations.
Wasn't aware that wanting dealing with the root causes of homeless was passing by anyone. But if dealing with the root causes is "moral justification" then I am all in. It is the better solution.

Wasn't aware that wanting dealing with the root causes of homeless was passing by anyone. But if dealing with the root causes is "moral justification" then I am all in. It is the better solution.
I don''t get the distinction you are trying to make between giving and "christian giving". What purpose does it serve except to justify turning your back on certain people?

ometime last year, the Kansas City Star had an article about this church opening its doors for the homeless. The church had removed their wooden pews and replaced them with unattached chairs. These were moved aside and beds for those homeless and those in the cold were put in their place. This year, they expanded with a shelter in some building near the downtown area that will hold 100 beds.

I don’t know if you can call this church a Christian Church as their beliefs are unlike most Christian Churches. They believe God is within us and seldom do you hear them speak of Jesus. They don’t preach how we are all evil and in need of salvation from a person who they don’t believe was hung on a cross. Although this may be what they believe because they have a diverse congregation. Their worship services will have as many people of color as whites, a truly unusual occurrence among Christian Churches. They welcome all. they even invited me to publicize my book “JayWalkers Shouldn’t be Shot”, knowing I am an atheist. All religions are welcome and they just welcomed a lifelong convict into their church. They have a coat drive each year, give food out every month, and raise their own vegetables in raised beds on their property

They have a Facebook site at www.facebook.com/… and a website at unitysoutheastinkc.org. and I am sure they would appreciate any Chrismas Cheer you have to spread, Especially if you are like me and have a problem driving by vacant churches when homeless people are sheltering under the underpasses. We had a new church build a large building on a parking lot that would suffice for a Walmart. The location was next to an Interstate and within view, under the overpass, homeless camps existed. The week before the church opened its doors, the homeless were moved to a new home somewhere. I am sure that the church had something to do with the removal. Either they talked to the authorities or maybe, just maybe, they invited them into their new sanctuary.

Then I wonder “What do you call this Church? Is it Christian?”
You are not suggesting Christian churches (especially Catholic) and missionaries have not sacrificed all for the sake of the most needy in this world for 2000 years, are you? .
So what is the point here? . Given the premise God exists, that charity without clarity of God is a superior position in life as well as death?

What this church is doing for others is most certainly Christian. . Even if they were atheists like you.

Last edited:
don''t get the distinction you are trying to make between giving and "christian giving". What purpose does it serve except to justify turning your back on certain people?
I don't see how eliminating the root causes of homelessness is turning one's back on anyone. Help me out here.

I don't see how eliminating the root causes of homelessness is turning one's back on anyone. Help me out here.
Help me out with the concept of "christian giving". Am I wrong to assume it is exclusionary towards certain people?

ometime last year, the Kansas City Star had an article about this church opening its doors for the homeless. The church had removed their wooden pews and replaced them with unattached chairs. These were moved aside and beds for those homeless and those in the cold were put in their place. This year, they expanded with a shelter in some building near the downtown area that will hold 100 beds.

I don’t know if you can call this church a Christian Church as their beliefs are unlike most Christian Churches. They believe God is within us and seldom do you hear them speak of Jesus. They don’t preach how we are all evil and in need of salvation from a person who they don’t believe was hung on a cross. Although this may be what they believe because they have a diverse congregation. Their worship services will have as many people of color as whites, a truly unusual occurrence among Christian Churches. They welcome all. they even invited me to publicize my book “JayWalkers Shouldn’t be Shot”, knowing I am an atheist. All religions are welcome and they just welcomed a lifelong convict into their church. They have a coat drive each year, give food out every month, and raise their own vegetables in raised beds on their property

They have a Facebook site at www.facebook.com/… and a website at unitysoutheastinkc.org. and I am sure they would appreciate any Chrismas Cheer you have to spread, Especially if you are like me and have a problem driving by vacant churches when homeless people are sheltering under the underpasses. We had a new church build a large building on a parking lot that would suffice for a Walmart. The location was next to an Interstate and within view, under the overpass, homeless camps existed. The week before the church opened its doors, the homeless were moved to a new home somewhere. I am sure that the church had something to do with the removal. Either they talked to the authorities or maybe, just maybe, they invited them into their new sanctuary.

Works without faith is dead. (James 2:14-26). Christianity can't be purchased like merchandise, we are commanded to worship in both Spirit and Truth..........and where is Christian Truth found? "Sanctify them in truth........YOUR WORD IS TRUTH" -- John 4:24, John 17:17

There are many false religions that teach FAKE CHRISTIAN DOCTRINE......."some that claim to be Apostles....disquising themselves as angels of light......etc.," --2 Cor. 11:13-15

"Why do you call Me 'Lord, Lord' and do not what I tell you?" -- Luke 6:46 Jesus said, "I am the why, and the truth, and the life, No one comes to the Father except through Me." -- John 14:6

True Christians do not teach false doctrine in order appease men and tickle their ears.......if you are not worshiping in TRUTH your worship is worthless, "Not everyone who says to Me, Lord, Lord will enter the kingdom of heaven (the one truth church)...." -- Matthew 7:21-23...........if you engage in Lawlessness......the breaking of the Lord's Laws you will not be accepted into the kingdom of God/the church that Christ purcased with His blood.

The world is filled with those who DO GOOD WORKS as defined by men.....yet remained lost.

The true nature of Christianity is to accept and worship Jesus Christ as God's own Son.

I don't care what a troll has to say about that. Good on them for doing some good in the world, but they're not Christian. I don't believe they even claim to be.

Looks to me like they are walking the walk instead of just talking.

Looks to me like they are walking the walk instead of just talking.

How do you figure? They aren't opening their door to Normative people at all, Normatives have been largely marginalized by the Bidenistas.

It seems to me the minimum requirement to be considered a Christian is a belief that God chose to be born into this world to testify to the truth, suffer and defeat death to reconcile justice with mercy.

Without knowing if they believe and teach this I can't say one way or another. But what I can say is they exemplify the Spirit of Christ regardless of their beliefs.

Forum List

Back