What did our founders really mean when they said “general welfare”?

Mexico has always been one of our most trusted allies
FALSE! Mexico has been our #1 enemy in the world, for more that half a century. What they can be "trusted" to do, is just what Vicente Fox said they do (did you read the link ?), which is to illegally dump millions of their people into our territory, steal millions of our jobs, and take away tens of Billions$$ every year, out of our economy, thereby giving Mexico it's top source of income. aka International Burglary.

Your post just shows what a sucker dupe you re.
Adios Amigo
Goodbye indoctrinated fool.

If you voted for Trump there’s a good chance you’re a lot like me with regard to why....I voted for him on two policies almost exclusively...First and foremost on how he would deal with illegal Mexicans and the border and second on how he would yank lowlifes off the Democrat induced welfare plantation.
Anyhoo, as we approach the point where welfare reform will be visited I ask for your opinions on EXACTLY what you think our founders meant when they used the phrase “GENERAL WELFARE” in the constitution?

Attention all Smartest Guys In The Room, and legal scholars:
Please spare us the case citations such as the U.S. vs Butler case and the like. I’m interested in YOUR opinions.
Our welfare clause is General and must cover any contingency.

"The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States" requires the government to enact laws that favor circumstances of the overall welfare of the entire country, not to provide a free ride for the specifically unproductive and certainly not to provide for the needs of non-citizens.
Anything Congress does will not help every citizen equally.
Helping the less fortunate is good for the country as a whole.
Less fortunate...or just lazy, ignorant, welfare sponges that think government owes them a living. Better check their birth certificate. Nowhere does it say taxpayers owe you a living.

If you voted for Trump there’s a good chance you’re a lot like me with regard to why....I voted for him on two policies almost exclusively...First and foremost on how he would deal with illegal Mexicans and the border and second on how he would yank lowlifes off the Democrat induced welfare plantation.
Anyhoo, as we approach the point where welfare reform will be visited I ask for your opinions on EXACTLY what you think our founders meant when they used the phrase “GENERAL WELFARE” in the constitution?

Please spare us the case citations such as the U.S. vs Butler case and the like. I’m interested in YOUR opinions.

"The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States" requires the government to enact laws that favor circumstances of the overall welfare of the entire country, not to provide a free ride for the specifically unproductive and certainly not to provide for the needs of non-citizens.
Our welfare clause is General and must cover any given contingency.

Our common defense clause was not meant to provide for the general warfare needs of non-citizens.

Anything Congress does will not help every citizen equally.
Helping the less fortunate is good for the country as a whole.
Less fortunate...or just lazy, ignorant, welfare sponges that think government owes them a living. Better check their birth certificate. Nowhere does it say taxpayers owe you a living.
Equal protection of the laws is an entitlement. Corporate welfare is alive and well for the Richest.

Welfare is unconstitutional

Explain.

What do you think the framers meant when they said “GENERAL WELFARE”?
What do you think the definition of “GENERAL” is?

General does not mean specific. The fed gov is charged with promoting an environment that permits the general welfare to function as it applies to the whole country, not as an ATM for illegally protected groups or individuals.

Explain.

General does not mean specific. The fed gov is charged with promoting an environment that permits the general welfare to function as it applies to the whole country, not as an ATM for illegally protected groups or individuals.
Equal protection of the laws for unemployment compensation in our at-will employment States is a Permanent solution for automatic stabilization of our economy.

Explain.

You're struggling bud...

general

gen·er·al | \ ˈjen-rəl , ˈje-nə- \
Definition of general
(Entry 1 of 2)

1: involving, applicable to, or affecting the whole
2: involving, relating to, or applicable to every member of a class, kind, or groupthe general equation of a straight line
3: not confined by specialization or careful limitationa general outline
4: belonging to the common nature of a group of like individuals : GENERICthe general characteristics of a species
5a: applicable to or characteristic of the majority of individuals involved : PREVALENTthe general opinion
b: concerned or dealing with universal rather than particular aspects

General vs. Specific

General: Military Defense

Specific: Taking money from Barney Fife and using it buy Aunt Bee a firearm.

General: Interstate Highway System
(also common defense as military needs roads to respond to threats)

Specific: Taking money from Barney Fife and using it buy Aunt Bee a car.

Using money from general funds to provide the most for the most people as judged necessary and reasonable by the most people.

Explain.

It doesn't. Why would there be enumerated powers listed in Article I, Section 8, if general welfare clause covers everything imaginable?

Explain.

Equal protection of the laws for unemployment compensation in our at-will employment States is a Permanent solution for automatic stabilization of our economy.

Who pays unemployment compensation?

General vs. Specific

"The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States".

Congress has the authority to tax and spend for the general welfare, but the enumerated powers limit the federal government’s spending power to specific objects listed in Article I, Section 8.

General vs. Specific

"The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States".

Congress has the authority to tax and spend for the general welfare, but the enumerated powers limit the federal government’s spending power to specific objects listed in Article I, Section 8.
Exactly.

General vs. Specific

Exactly.

On the last day of his administration, Madison vetoed "infrastructure bill" that called for federal construction of various roads, bridges, and canals throughout the country.

In his Letter to Congress he said: "“The legislative powers vested in Congress are specified and enumerated in the eighth section of the first article of the Constitution, and it does not appear that the power proposed to be exercised by the bill is among the enumerated powers.”

Explain.

You are so wrong. “General welfare” to mean the good of all citizens, not an open-ended mandate for Congress. The only good that applies to all citizens is freedom, and government’s proper role is the protection of that freedom, not taking from some to give to others.

Forum List

Back