What Dark-skinned People Prefer to be called...

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh

Here we have NATIONAL NEWS that Roger Stone, notorious friend of President Trump, had the audacity to use the term, "NEGRO[!]" in public while being interviewed. Pass the smelling salts.

The word is referred to as a "racial slur." GIMMEAFUKKINBREAK.

The word, "Negro," (Spanish for "black") is racially and semantically correct, and has been used for GENERATIONS to refer to such people - without objection.

What other group of people changes the words by which they are referred in conversation over time, and then deems terms that were previously acceptable - even polite - offensive to their contemporary sensitivities? Nobody.

One cannot fail to note that the largest and oldest organization representing the interests of Negroes is called, the "National Organization for the Advancement of Colored People." God forbid any caucasian from using THAT unfortunate expression.

By holding sensitivities like this, the African American community trivializes what it claims to be serious social and political issues. A pox on any Black person who objects to being referred to as a "Negro." There is nothing disparaging or insulting about the term; it's all in your head.

Here we have NATIONAL NEWS that Roger Stone, notorious friend of President Trump, had the audacity to use the term, "NEGRO[!]" in public while being interviewed. Pass the smelling salts.

The word, "Negro," (Spanish for "black") is racially and semantically correct, and has been used for GENERATIONS to refer to such people - without objection.

What other group of people changes the words by which they are referred in conversation over time, and then deems terms that were previously acceptable - even polite - offensive to their contemporary sensitivities? Nobody.

One cannot fail to note that the largest and oldest organization representing the interests of Negroes is called, the "National Organization for the Advancement of Colored People." God forbid any caucasian from using THAT unfortunate expression.

By holding sensitivities like this, the African American community trivializes what it claims to be serious social and political issues. A pox on any Black person who objects to being referred to as a "Negro." There is nothing disparaging or insulting about the term; it's all in your head.

My grandmother always referred to blacks as "colored people" and didn't have a prejudiced bone in her body.

Next thing people will say is that the term "fuck" is racist , because it is an acronym for "feed us colored kids"

1. I heard Mr. Stone start to say that word, but he seemed to catch himself and did not finish the word.

2. All fair-minded people should give him the benefit of the doubt as to why he may have started to say that word.

a. He is an elderly gentleman. When he was young, that word was used by everyone (including the ethnicity under discussion) as the appropriate word to refer to people of that group.

b. I feel that he simply forgot that the word is no longer acceptable. He caught himself and did not, I think, follow through.

3. This is basically a non-issue. But since the media so "dislike" President Trump, they are making a mountain out of a molehill.

How about we stop using skin color as a descriptive adjective for any person?

For example,

Don't say Jimi Hendrix was the greatest Black rock and blues guitarist of all time. Say Jimi was the greatest rock and blues guitarist of all time.

Don't say Eric Clapton is the greatest White rock and blues guitarist of all time. Say Clapton is the second best rock and blues guitarist of all time.

It's easy.

There are times when it is appropriate to identify a person by his race. "Jackie Robinson was the first Negro to play in the Major Leagues." And if you had referred to him personally as "black," he would have been mightily offended.

And there you have it.

There are times when it is appropriate to identify a person by his race. "Jackie Robinson was the first Negro to play in the Major Leagues." And if you had referred to him personally as "black," he would have been mightily offended.

And there you have it.
I disagree.

All that does is perpetuate racial bias.

Since my mother mixed race was I could say I'm Black even though I have light skin and hazel green eyes.

I can say I'm White even though I am 25% Black.

I come to a realization quite early in my life that skin color is completely irrelevant.

And there is only one race we should be concerned about.

And there you have it.
I disagree.

Since my mother mixed race was I could say I'm Black even though I have light skin and hazel green eyes.

I come to a realization quite early in my life that skin color is completely irrelevant.

You can say that but you've lived your life as a white person.

I like to call them what an American President (LBJ) used to call them - Neggras.

Why are whites who have created tons of overtly racist threads commenting on what we call each other?

I don't agree with blues man often, but here he is right. This has been part of the problem all along. Whites are the ones who decided to describe us as n words. This thread is an example of how the past still impacts us today.

Why are whites who have created tons of overtly racist threads commenting on what we call each other?

I don't agree with blues man often, but here he is right. This has been part of the problem all along. Whites are the ones who decided to describe us as n words. This thread is an example of how the past still impacts us today.
Its not what you call each other. Its what your preference is. I am white, or caucasion. If you don't know someone's name but want to describe them.

And there you have it.
I disagree.

You can say that but you've lived your life as a white person.

No everyone I knew growing up knew my mother was mixed race. I grew up in a shitty neighborhood that was overwhelmingly Black. After my mother died when I was 14 I wound up in foster care with a Black couple and he used to call me Whitey and the white kids at school would call me ******.

I lived my life as a kid who was too black to be white and too white to be black.

It's how I learned that skin color is completely irrelevant and people will always find some way to judge others.

Its not what you call each other. Its what your preference is. I am white, or caucasion. If you don't know someone's name but want to describe them.

As a white guy, I am really offended when black people refer to me as a "jive assed honky mutha fucka.

How about by their names?

Bob, or Peter, Mary or Elizabeth?

right now people who STRUGGLE to designate themselves "social justice STRUGGLERS" ---also struggle to pick at straws. It cheapens the entire effort

Forum List

Back