What College Did You Go To?

sealybobo

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Michigan
I went to Eastern Michigan University. Yesterday we were going to ride the paved trail that connects Ypsilanti to Ann Arbor and go ride around Ann Arbor and have lunch in Ann Arbor. I went to EMU so I asked my buddy if we could go to Ypsi instead. I had a freakin blast. So many memories came back. Such nostalgia. And I was happy to see EMU got a face lift since I last saw it. My fraternity is no longer there but the house was deemed a historic site. It's one of those really old/cool homes. One thing that I noticed is the back yard wasn't as big as I remember. I remember we used to throw bashes and the back yard was packed. But I remember the back yard being 5 times as big as it actually is. LOL. I remembered how long it was to walk to classes because I lived on "The Hill". It was great going on a Ebike because I would NEVER walk around the entire campus. Too big. But on a Ebike I could go from one end to the other in 5 minutes. So I traced my steps from the dorm to where my classes were. Then from my sophomore apartment to where I worked. Both LONG walks. I did a lot of walking in college. LOL.

After seeing it again, I'm proud that I went to EMU. I didn't remember it like it looks now. It was a bit of a shit hole. There are still some areas that aren't safe. My buddy wanted to eat at this African restaurant. Menu looked good. I told him I wouldn't leave my Ebike outside, even if it was locked and I could see if from the window. Yea, there are thugs who will come take it and fight you for it if you try to stop them. So we went to Depot Town and had lunch. Much safer area.

Where did you go to college and have you been back? Do you love where you went to school? I know there are a lot of uneducated people here who are anti college. Political chic started a threat Don't Go To College. What a loser. I'm so glad I got a bachelor degree.

I went to another MAC school, University at Buffalo

I was visiting Niagara Falls about ten years ago and drove through the campus. A lot of new buildings but I still recognized the dorm I lived in and major buildings.
Sports facilities were crap when I went there but now they have modern facilities.

Don’t have many fond memories other than drinking too much. I was looking to punch my ticket and get an Engineering degree

My Associate of Science degree in Computer Aided Design and Drafting comes from Johnson & Wales University in Providence, RI. Class of 1994. Back in the days when JWU was far more of a trade school than the bloated, over-grown “educational” institution it is today.

I went to another MAC school, University at Buffalo

I was visiting Niagara Falls about ten years ago and drove through the campus. A lot of new buildings but I still recognized the dorm I lived in and major buildings.
Sports facilities were crap when I went there but now they have modern facilities.

Don’t have many fond memories other than drinking too much. I was looking to punch my ticket and get an Engineering degree
When I left, I thought of it as a shit hole. And I only went to 1 football game my freshman year because they sucked. My friend was surprised I didn't know the football stadium was where it was. I had no clue. Only went once. And back then I didn't have a car so I only went where I could walk. Whoever drove me home for holidays, we probably didn't drive past the stadium on my way home so I just never realized or knew where it was. That's weird. Like, if you went to UofM, you know where the stadium is. But that's because it's right on campus. Our stadium seemed to be a couple miles down. Like I said, it was great looking around on a Ebike. I covered a lot of ground. And if I missed something, we turned around and went back. Even if it was 2 miles back. On Ebikes you don't care because it's easy peddling.

Have you been back? Did you like it?
We live close by and (pre Covid) went to the Staller Center quite often to see a concert or show of some kind. It's a lot different now than when I went there back in the 70s. It's a lot more built up. It's got an excellent reputation as a STEM school.

My Associate of Science degree in Computer Aided Design and Drafting comes from Johnson & Wales University in Providence, RI. Class of 1994. Back in the days when JWU was far more of a trade school than the bloated, over-grown “educational” institution it is today.
When I was an enrollment counselor for University of Phoenix, all the other accredited schools made fun of us. They mocked our format. Come to class one day a week for 3 hours and do the rest online. Today, all those schools who made fun of us are doing the same thing now. Including your school.

1661085269908.png

1661085306074.png

Sounds exactly like University of Phoenix

When I left, I thought of it as a shit hole. And I only went to 1 football game my freshman year because they sucked. My friend was surprised I didn't know the football stadium was where it was. I had no clue. Only went once. And back then I didn't have a car so I only went where I could walk. Whoever drove me home for holidays, we probably didn't drive past the stadium on my way home so I just never realized or knew where it was. That's weird. Like, if you went to UofM, you know where the stadium is. But that's because it's right on campus. Our stadium seemed to be a couple miles down. Like I said, it was great looking around on a Ebike. I covered a lot of ground. And if I missed something, we turned around and went back. Even if it was 2 miles back. On Ebikes you don't care because it's easy peddling.
:rolleyes:

I went to Eastern Michigan University. Yesterday we were going to ride the paved trail that connects Ypsilanti to Ann Arbor and go ride around Ann Arbor and have lunch in Ann Arbor. I went to EMU so I asked my buddy if we could go to Ypsi instead. I had a freakin blast. So many memories came back. Such nostalgia. And I was happy to see EMU got a face lift since I last saw it. My fraternity is no longer there but the house was deemed a historic site. It's one of those really old/cool homes. One thing that I noticed is the back yard wasn't as big as I remember. I remember we used to throw bashes and the back yard was packed. But I remember the back yard being 5 times as big as it actually is. LOL. I remembered how long it was to walk to classes because I lived on "The Hill". It was great going on a Ebike because I would NEVER walk around the entire campus. Too big. But on a Ebike I could go from one end to the other in 5 minutes. So I traced my steps from the dorm to where my classes were. Then from my sophomore apartment to where I worked. Both LONG walks. I did a lot of walking in college. LOL.

After seeing it again, I'm proud that I went to EMU. I didn't remember it like it looks now. It was a bit of a shit hole. There are still some areas that aren't safe. My buddy wanted to eat at this African restaurant. Menu looked good. I told him I wouldn't leave my Ebike outside, even if it was locked and I could see if from the window. Yea, there are thugs who will come take it and fight you for it if you try to stop them. So we went to Depot Town and had lunch. Much safer area.

Where did you go to college and have you been back? Do you love where you went to school? I know there are a lot of uneducated people here who are anti college. Political chic started a threat Don't Go To College. What a loser. I'm so glad I got a bachelor degree.

I went to college at 4 places and have 3 degrees from 3 different universities though I took classes at a few others through an agreement between the universities in the DC/NOVA area. I don't have particular emotional attachment to any of them. The woes of working while in school is you don't have that bubble to lounge in. I was clocking 40 hours a week at my real world job while doing grad school that recommended you not work at all your first year. It was a grind but I really liked finishing every day utterly and completely mentally and physically exhausted. Oh to be young again...

I was a horrible student in high school I spent three of four summers in summer school. I was too interested in getting high and playing guitar to pay much attention to my studies. When I walked across the stage at our graduation ceremony, I was handed an empty folder.

I didn't apply to any schools at all. Hell, I'm pretty sure I'd have been rejected from Suffolk Community College. There was just nothing about going to school that ever really interested me.

One of my teachers, though, a theater teacher, was able to get through to me. He was the first person to make me realize that it wasn't so much a disinterest in learning that was hurting me, but rather a disinterest in the way I was being taught.

Long story short, I can't learn shit from a book. If I read how to sharpen a knife, and then try to sharpen a pencil, I'll likely fuck it up. But, if you show me how to sharpen a knife, you'll be able to shave with it. Unfortunately, most of my high school curriculum consisted of "book learning". Wood shop? I'll build you a fuckin' house, man. Calculus? I don't have a clue. I'm surprised I can even spell it.

When I first enlisted in the Navy, I would often second guess myself. Maybe I should've done what my friends were doing. Maybe I should've tried to get into college. But looking back on my life now, I haven't a single regret; not one. I love my life and, if anything in my past had been different, I know I wouldn't be enjoying the life I have right now, and that's just unacceptable to me...

Forum List

Back