What College Did You Go To?

I started at the University of Pittsburgh in the Fall of 1967. A hitch in the Army and lot of other water over the dam, and I graduated from that institution in 1978. If I hadn't fucked up early on, my life would have been a lot simpler and a lot less interesting.

Talk about "inequality," my frosh class (the males, that is) in '67 was comprised mainly of two groups. The frat boys and the commuter bandits. Two completely different experiences. We in the latter group were working part time to put ourselves through school, with no spare money and little spare time. The Frat boys were having keggers and going to anti-war demonstrations, and smoking dope.

The only ones that history remembers now are the Frat Boys.

I went to college at 4 places and have 3 degrees from 3 different universities though I took classes at a few others through an agreement between the universities in the DC/NOVA area. I don't have particular emotional attachment to any of them. The woes of working while in school is you don't have that bubble to lounge in. I was clocking 40 hours a week at my real world job while doing grad school that recommended you not work at all your first year. It was a grind but I really liked finishing every day utterly and completely mentally and physically exhausted. Oh to be young again...
This woman at the dog park said she didn't have time to go to football games when she went to school. Now she's a season ticket holder/alumni who goes to every football game. LOL. She's a nerd. She loves the band. Michigan State University so they're probably pretty good.

People around here are really proud if they graduated from University of Michigan or Michigan State University. Those are the big 2 around here. All the rest of us, meah. I'm just glad I got a degree.

I went to MSU with my brother when we were students and now his kid goes to MSU. So I've gone back recently. And EMU was right next to Ann Arbor and we all know UofM is a great football/basketball school so I get why they are so proud to have gone to these beautiful Universities. I love the argument which is the best. I think UofM is but I'm a MSU Spartan fan more for many reasons. Ann Arbor equals arrogance.

Another SUNY grad.
I went in the mid 70s and my tuition was $650 a year
I think it cost me $5000 a year from 1989-1992. So $20,000 to get a bachelor degree that is worth $1 million dollars over the course of 30 years. That is how much a college degree is worth.

That's why kids today will take on $100K in debt to get a degree.

$1 million over 30 years is only $33,000 more a year. That's what a college degree is worth.

This woman at the dog park said she didn't have time to go to football games when she went to school. Now she's a season ticket holder/alumni who goes to every football game. LOL. She's a nerd. She loves the band. Michigan State University so they're probably pretty good.

People around here are really proud if they graduated from University of Michigan or Michigan State University. Those are the big 2 around here. All the rest of us, meah. I'm just glad I got a degree.

I went to MSU with my brother when we were students and now his kid goes to MSU. So I've gone back recently. And EMU was right next to Ann Arbor and we all know UofM is a great football/basketball school so I get why they are so proud to have gone to these beautiful Universities. I love the argument which is the best. I think UofM is but I'm a MSU Spartan fan more for many reasons. Ann Arbor equals arrogance.

Oh I went to a fair number of football and basketball games, though not always at my school. A friend's father had season tickets to another school's sports so we used them when he wasn't. At my university, we could get free tickets to home games on a first come basis. I knew someone who worked in the office that distributed them, so I would give them my ID and they would get me a ticket to the games I wanted to go to.

I have never gotten school spirit TBH. Even when I played sports in HS, I never understood people who were rah rah fans or big money boosters. Seemed odd to me. On the plus side, I learned to basically tune out the crowds. I seldom even noticed they were there after the first few games.

Oh I went to a fair number of football and basketball games, though not always at my school. A friend's father had season tickets to another school's sports so we used them when he wasn't. At my university, we could get free tickets to home games on a first come basis. I knew someone who worked in the office that distributed them, so I would give them my ID and they would get me a ticket to the games I wanted to go to.

I have never gotten school spirit TBH. Even when I played sports in HS, I never understood people who were rah rah fans or big money boosters. Seemed odd to me. On the plus side, I learned to basically tune out the crowds. I seldom even noticed they were there after the first few games.
The only people I get are the parents. Anyone else like an assistant coach who's doing it for free, weirdo. LOL.

But in high school you go to to game to make out with the girls under the stands. I quit football and baseball my sophomore year and only wrestled. It was nice being able to go watch the game instead of play in them. Wearing my varsity jacket with all my wrestling medals I picked up all the girls while the guys playing football were playing football. LOL. Meatheads. Lol.

In wrestling, I was aware of who was in the stands. And I was intense. I would pace back and forth like I had built up aggression to let out. Usually no one could match my intensity. Kurt Angle was right about the 3 I's. I had 1 of the 3. Intensity. I lacked the other 2

Intensity, Integrity and Intelligence

And I'm sorry but our high school basketball games were fun. We knew all those guys on the team. So yea it was fun to watch us play and beat Novi, Walled Lake Central, Milford, whoever. And it sucked when we lost.

Our school won a class A state championship since I graduated. Almost won 2. When you have a football team that good, you follow. You get into it. But I never went to a game. I graduated high school 30 plus years ago.

Communities in Texas and other deep south communities are big into their football teams. I think it's great for a community. Don't be a stick in the mud. They got nothing else.

I went to Eastern Michigan University. Yesterday we were going to ride the paved trail that connects Ypsilanti to Ann Arbor and go ride around Ann Arbor and have lunch in Ann Arbor. I went to EMU so I asked my buddy if we could go to Ypsi instead. I had a freakin blast. So many memories came back. Such nostalgia. And I was happy to see EMU got a face lift since I last saw it. My fraternity is no longer there but the house was deemed a historic site. It's one of those really old/cool homes. One thing that I noticed is the back yard wasn't as big as I remember. I remember we used to throw bashes and the back yard was packed. But I remember the back yard being 5 times as big as it actually is. LOL. I remembered how long it was to walk to classes because I lived on "The Hill". It was great going on a Ebike because I would NEVER walk around the entire campus. Too big. But on a Ebike I could go from one end to the other in 5 minutes. So I traced my steps from the dorm to where my classes were. Then from my sophomore apartment to where I worked. Both LONG walks. I did a lot of walking in college. LOL.

After seeing it again, I'm proud that I went to EMU. I didn't remember it like it looks now. It was a bit of a shit hole. There are still some areas that aren't safe. My buddy wanted to eat at this African restaurant. Menu looked good. I told him I wouldn't leave my Ebike outside, even if it was locked and I could see if from the window. Yea, there are thugs who will come take it and fight you for it if you try to stop them. So we went to Depot Town and had lunch. Much safer area.

Where did you go to college and have you been back? Do you love where you went to school? I know there are a lot of uneducated people here who are anti college. Political chic started a threat Don't Go To College. What a loser. I'm so glad I got a bachelor degree.
University of Maryland. My first semester I rented an upstairs room in a lady's house whose son was also going to Maryland at the time. Then I moved on campus and lived in the dorms until I graduated. I had a tough degree, Electrical Engineering but I still made it to a lot of keg parties and never missed the home football games. I went back a few years ago, I was glad to see most of it hadn't changed but a lot of buildings and housing was added.

Started at the U of Florida. Three semesters later I told to take some time off and see if college was really for me.

Joined the Corps a few years later. Finished by Bachelors via Liberty University as they were one of the few places offering distance learning when I started back.

Then got my Masters from Saint Louis University.

I have taken many course at many colleges.

The way I figure it I have enough credits for at east one degree maybe 2.

Forum List

Back