What can I change through my local government?

I live in a medium sized city of no political worth on the national scale but what can I change?

I want my municipal government to condemn the federal government for certain international crimes, but I also want to change where our city's federal taxes go to.

I also want to create a city committee that exists to investigate local politicians (including those in our own city) as an anti-corruption board. Hopefully we can get those all across the country and influence the white house this way.

I'm hoping that through this I can rally this city into being a vote (in our state) towards taking further action on a national level.

Any thoughts on if this sounds feasible/the possible legal hurdles in doing this?

Start a petition. Run for local office. Support a like minded candidate.
I live in a medium sized city of no political worth on the national scale but what can I change?

I want my municipal government to condemn the federal government for certain international crimes, but I also want to change where our city's federal taxes go to.

I also want to create a city committee that exists to investigate local politicians (including those in our own city) as an anti-corruption board. Hopefully we can get those all across the country and influence the white house this way.

I'm hoping that through this I can rally this city into being a vote (in our state) towards taking further action on a national level.

Any thoughts on if this sounds feasible/the possible legal hurdles in doing this?

Both of you suggested either running for office or voting for someone to be put in office that I like most. The problem with that though (and one of the main reasons that I do not exercise my right to vote) is that it's the current system that is flawed. It really doesn't matter who is in any of the office positions in my local government so long as they aren't massively corrupt. The process that I'm aiming to proceed with doesn't really require any special skills that I think I need to use if that makes sense.

Maybe I'll use a petition. I think I can talk to my mayor first I'm not sure.
Uuummm...... I smell an Ideologue........ like occupied.....
All youth are ideologues before they figure out what the world is all about. Myself, I am a bitter old pragmatist at heart, it is not some leftist ideology to oppose plutocracy, it is the American way, or at least it was.
Bustin' you balls dude...... The problem is no matter which system you live in a plutocracy will always exist, such is life.

Check out all the pussified, gloom and doom in this thread from both sides. Yeah we're all fvcked aren't we? Morons.

OP you can do many things at a local level.

First off, Fight the next traffic ticket you get, if you get any. Traffic Court is an easy way to learn how the Justice System works at a local level. And before the USMB Sad Sacks, jump in with their bullsh*t, I recently got my wifes speeding ticket dismissed. It wasn't too hard, It will supdercharge you and have a ripple effect on others.

Talk to local Law Enforcement and the local Sheriff if you have one. Ask how they'd react to certain scenarios and what are some the policies for his Department for dealing with the public.

Have you talked to you local representative? Do you even know who he is? I have and I was surprised at a few thing he and his Chief of Staff said.

Find out which local Judges are appointed and which are elected and go talk to the Elected ones.

Best of all, talk to your neighbors and find out what their concerns are (beyond sports. drinking and gossip). Get to know who lives in yer community.
What should I be looking for when talking to these people? Just to get to know them and understand their opinions? Could you elaborate on how this action plan turns into concrete change in the long run? (or at least your vision for this)

Both of you suggested either running for office or voting for someone to be put in office that I like most. The problem with that though (and one of the main reasons that I do not exercise my right to vote) is that it's the current system that is flawed. It really doesn't matter who is in any of the office positions in my local government so long as they aren't massively corrupt. The process that I'm aiming to proceed with doesn't really require any special skills that I think I need to use if that makes sense.

All youth are ideologues before they figure out what the world is all about. Myself, I am a bitter old pragmatist at heart, it is not some leftist ideology to oppose plutocracy, it is the American way, or at least it was.
Bustin' you balls dude...... The problem is no matter which system you live in a plutocracy will always exist, such is life.
To a certain extent you are correct, but we do not have to make it easy for them, or even worse, collaborate with them against our fellow citizens.

No city or state has any say over where their tax money goes but if you live in a red state chances are it receives more money than it sends.

Cities issue proclamations all the time for various reasons, they are ignored.

Going up against the local good-ole-boy network is perhaps the most dangerous political activity there is in America. No one has more power to directly fuck you up than the local government and their police.

Truth is there is little you can do at the local level to have any effect on national policy.

Not this stupid shit again....

To a certain extent you are correct, but we do not have to make it easy for them, or even worse, collaborate with them against our fellow citizens.
I disagree with him - because that implies that governments will inevitably become corrupt, which is false. Understand the pathways for corrupt and cut them off while preserving democracy.

I'm too old and too well versed in human history to continue to try and fight a losing battle.

Check out all the pussified, gloom and doom in this thread from both sides. Yeah we're all fvcked aren't we? Morons.

OP you can do many things at a local level.

First off, Fight the next traffic ticket you get, if you get any. Traffic Court is an easy way to learn how the Justice System works at a local level. And before the USMB Sad Sacks, jump in with their bullsh*t, I recently got my wifes speeding ticket dismissed. It wasn't too hard, It will supdercharge you and have a ripple effect on others.

Talk to local Law Enforcement and the local Sheriff if you have one. Ask how they'd react to certain scenarios and what are some the policies for his Department for dealing with the public.

Have you talked to you local representative? Do you even know who he is? I have and I was surprised at a few thing he and his Chief of Staff said.

Find out which local Judges are appointed and which are elected and go talk to the Elected ones.

Best of all, talk to your neighbors and find out what their concerns are (beyond sports. drinking and gossip). Get to know who lives in yer community.
What should I be looking for when talking to these people? Just to get to know them and understand their opinions? Could you elaborate on how this action plan turns into concrete change in the long run? (or at least your vision for this)
There are no guarantees of successful outcomes in political activism, most of the time it is futile but it can still be a fulfilling activity nonetheless.

I disagree with him - because that implies that governments will inevitably become corrupt, which is false. Understand the pathways for corrupt and cut them off while preserving democracy.
Obviously you've never taken history.

You can fight city hall and most likely get your ass handed to you, even if you win. Or you can move.
That's good advice; "Don't fight. Run away".

Phaggot.
Pick your fights wisely. This poster (the OP) appears to be a young idealist.

Phuque......
If I'm an idealist than every single american ought to be an idealist including you lest we just give up on our democracy
Our democracy is already doomed. History repeats itself, always has, always will.

I'm too old and too well versed in human history to continue to try and fight a losing battle.
That's kind of sad and depressing.

Your vote can help. Organize protests, marches, get petitions started, make phone calls, and hand out flyers. In other words, make a lot of noise.

No, I'm a realist, I live my live to benefit me and everyone around me as best as possible.
I've tried to find fault with this premise but have not been able to:

http://www.newworldeconomics.com/archives/2014/092814_files/TheFateofEmpiresbySirJohnGlubb.pdf

No, I'm a realist, I live my live to benefit me and everyone around me as best as possible.

http://www.newworldeconomics.com/archives/2014/092814_files/TheFateofEmpiresbySirJohnGlubb.pdf
I don't buy the cyclical view of history. The world has fundamentally changed in the last 200 years to something that has never existed before. Trying to say how we will turn out when globally transformative technologies are now a commonplace occurrence is not possible.

A country without political corruption would not be an empire. I didn't read your pdf but that might undermine the reasoning.
All political hierarchies serve an elite, the mistake is the people letting the elite know they have them scared and subdued. Marx envisioned a system where there is no state, no fixed chain of command and especially no elite but humans live and die by hierarchies, it is hard-wired into our DNA.

A country without political corruption would not be an empire. I didn't read your pdf but that might undermine the reasoning.
You, like every idealist before you leave one item out of the equation every time...... people........ You believe (wrongly) that everyone wants what you want, most do but they are generally not the driven ones, the ones who shape the world to their liking for their benefit.

Forum List

Back