What can I change through my local government?

Bustin' you balls dude...... The problem is no matter which system you live in a plutocracy will always exist, such is life.
To a certain extent you are correct, but we do not have to make it easy for them, or even worse, collaborate with them against our fellow citizens.
I'm too old and too well versed in human history to continue to try and fight a losing battle.
That's kind of sad and depressing.
No, I'm a realist, I live my live to benefit me and everyone around me as best as possible.
I've tried to find fault with this premise but have not been able to:

http://www.newworldeconomics.com/archives/2014/092814_files/TheFateofEmpiresbySirJohnGlubb.pdf
I don't buy the cyclical view of history. The world has fundamentally changed in the last 200 years to something that has never existed before. Trying to say how we will turn out when globally transformative technologies are now a commonplace occurrence is not possible.
I hope you are right but know it's not the case. I would love to be proven wrong.

To a certain extent you are correct, but we do not have to make it easy for them, or even worse, collaborate with them against our fellow citizens.
I'm too old and too well versed in human history to continue to try and fight a losing battle.
No, I'm a realist, I live my live to benefit me and everyone around me as best as possible.

http://www.newworldeconomics.com/archives/2014/092814_files/TheFateofEmpiresbySirJohnGlubb.pdf
I don't buy the cyclical view of history. The world has fundamentally changed in the last 200 years to something that has never existed before. Trying to say how we will turn out when globally transformative technologies are now a commonplace occurrence is not possible.
I hope you are right but know it's not the case. I would love to be proven wrong.
Those old empires always depended on one man's ability to lead it. We have mostly abandoned emperors and kings as a political model and instead moved to constitutions and rule of law because it provides a kind of long-term stability that dynasties could never provide. This fundamental change in human governance makes any attempt to draw parallels between ancient empires and today spurious at best.

Those old empires always depended on one man's ability to lead it. We have mostly abandoned emperors and kings as a political model and instead moved to constitutions and rule of law because it provides a kind of long-term stability that dynasties could never provide. This fundamental change in human governance makes any attempt to draw parallels between ancient empires and today spurious at best.
When Great Britain was at it's height Parliament ran the country. I believe we will last longer than any before us but the writing is already on the wall, we've past out growth/expansion phase. You can believe it's as spurious as you want but it's not government systems that fail, it's the people living in those systems that ultimately bring them down.

When Great Britain was at it's height Parliament ran the country. I believe we will last longer than any before us but the writing is already on the wall, we've past out growth/expansion phase. You can believe it's as spurious as you want but it's not government systems that fail, it's the people living in those systems that ultimately bring them down.
Perhaps but return now to my earlier comment about transformative technology. The world is now connected into a single entity, even the barbarians at our gate, so to speak, have cell phones and use facebook. What I am trying to say is that national borders and nationalities themselves have become so blurred that there is nowhere to collapse to. Up until only a hundred years ago the average human was an illiterate subsistence farmer and expected nothing more than a grueling life and an early death. People expect civilization these days and they will do everything it takes to preserve it.

I live in a medium sized city of no political worth on the national scale but what can I change?

I want my municipal government to condemn the federal government for certain international crimes, but I also want to change where our city's federal taxes go to.

I also want to create a city committee that exists to investigate local politicians (including those in our own city) as an anti-corruption board. Hopefully we can get those all across the country and influence the white house this way.

I'm hoping that through this I can rally this city into being a vote (in our state) towards taking further action on a national level.

Any thoughts on if this sounds feasible/the possible legal hurdles in doing this?

Look into the Article V movement

Perhaps but return now to my earlier comment about transformative technology. The world is now connected into a single entity, even the barbarians at our gate, so to speak, have cell phones and use facebook. What I am trying to say is that national borders and nationalities themselves have become so blurred that there is nowhere to collapse to. Up until only a hundred years ago the average human was an illiterate subsistence farmer and expected nothing more than a grueling life and an early death. People expect civilization these days and they will do everything it takes to preserve it.
you're an optimist becuase no one is talkign about the terror in congo or the massacres in CAR

you're an optimist becuase no one is talkign about the terror in congo or the massacres in CAR
Small potatoes compared with how it was, The vast bulk of humanity now lives without the constant threat of ongoing continental wars and frequent mega-deaths due to plagues and famine. At no time in history has the world been this peaceful, it just seems chaotic to us because no one in living memory has lived through the bad old days when slaughter was commonplace everywhere in the world.

Pretty simplistic (and not totally correct) view of history but okay. Look, I understand you don't want to give up hope, don't, keep fighting, someone has to. But if you live long enough and decide to take a realistic view of the Machiavellian world that exists and has always existed....... :dunno:

Small potatoes compared with how it was, The vast bulk of humanity now lives without the constant threat of ongoing continental wars and frequent mega-deaths due to plagues and famine. At no time in history has the world been this peaceful, it just seems chaotic to us because no one in living memory has lived through the bad old days when slaughter was commonplace everywhere in the world.
That's actually quite pollyannish. Don't know where you're getting your information. :dunno:
Patrick Brogan, The fighting never stopped.

That's actually quite pollyannish. Don't know where you're getting your information. :dunno:
Patrick Brogan, The fighting never stopped.
It's hardly a startling concept. Any way you parse the numbers we are now living during the most prolonged period of peace and safety in recorded history. Some people are having a bad time in various regions but overall we are doing much better than our ancestors about killing and starving each other.

New guy asks us oldsters how he can make America a better place and what does he get? People telling him to "just give up and submit".

Well, fvck you clowns.

OP, as much as I like Rand Paul, Ted Cruz and Donald Trump, those guys aren't gonna' really change much without risking ending up like JFK. Unless they don't care but then that's a different matter. So you have to start at a local level, where everyone starts anyway, Trump included.

If you haven't already read it, pick up "The Creature from Jeckyll Island" written by G. Edward Griffin. It shows the origin of money, how the Federal Reserve was created, how they took control of our Dollar and used it as an economic weapon against us and other countries throughout the the world. If you're ever gonna' wake up to how things REALLY are, this book is a good start.

And again, start at a local level. Go to your local township municipal authority or whatever is local. Go to your Registrar Office and see what's there. Find your local City Court and sit in on a few hearings and trials.

Online, find your States' Code of Criminal Procedure and look through it. Find out how to do a Freedom of Information Request in your state and do one on whatever you want. Police Pay Records would be a good start maybe?

At first you'll be nervous because we've been trained that they are the "Authorities" and "Shouldn't be questioned". But after a few times you'll see that it's really easy and it scares the living shit out of government workers. I've had a Judge tell me that in his 27 years no one has ever submitted what I have, and that was just a simple Motion.

Feel free to PM me with whatever question you have!

Forum List

Back