What can I change through my local government?

Shikica

Mar 7, 2015
I live in a medium sized city of no political worth on the national scale but what can I change?

I want my municipal government to condemn the federal government for certain international crimes, but I also want to change where our city's federal taxes go to.

I also want to create a city committee that exists to investigate local politicians (including those in our own city) as an anti-corruption board. Hopefully we can get those all across the country and influence the white house this way.

I'm hoping that through this I can rally this city into being a vote (in our state) towards taking further action on a national level.

Any thoughts on if this sounds feasible/the possible legal hurdles in doing this?

No city or state has any say over where their tax money goes but if you live in a red state chances are it receives more money than it sends.

Cities issue proclamations all the time for various reasons, they are ignored.

Going up against the local good-ole-boy network is perhaps the most dangerous political activity there is in America. No one has more power to directly fuck you up than the local government and their police.

Truth is there is little you can do at the local level to have any effect on national policy.

I live in a medium sized city of no political worth on the national scale but what can I change?

I want my municipal government to condemn the federal government for certain international crimes, but I also want to change where our city's federal taxes go to.

I also want to create a city committee that exists to investigate local politicians (including those in our own city) as an anti-corruption board. Hopefully we can get those all across the country and influence the white house this way.

I'm hoping that through this I can rally this city into being a vote (in our state) towards taking further action on a national level.

Any thoughts on if this sounds feasible/the possible legal hurdles in doing this?
It takes a step at a time....

Get involved, talk to your neighbors about what you want, and organize.

Then back the candidate you feel most comfortable with.

Start a petition. Run for local office. Support a like minded candidate.

No city or state has any say over where their tax money goes but if you live in a red state chances are it receives more money than it sends.

Going up against the local good-ole-boy network is perhaps the most dangerous political activity there is in America. No one has more power to directly fuck you up than the local government and their police.

Truth is there is little you can do at the local level to have any effect on national policy.
I know there's nothing I can do. But to be honest my life seems meaningless and pointless if I don't change the distribution of power in the world. Until that problem is fixed all other problems do not matter as they can not be properly addressed.

So I might as well try this

I love your thinking and I hope we can do what you are thinking. They say all politics are local but I agree with you. All we ever talk about is stuff on a national level. We bitch about Obama and Boehner and McConnell but never about our local reps.

Oh, and what you need to do is get more people to vote. No change will happen when less than 50% vote. The rich will continue to rule and get richer and you'll continue to get poorer. But you sound like a conservative so I don't expect you want more people voting.

I know there's nothing I can do. But to be honest my life seems meaningless and pointless if I don't change the distribution of power in the world. Until that problem is fixed all other problems do not matter as they can not be properly addressed.

Distribution of power in the world? :wtf:

I was not trying to discourage you but it is not your responsibility to carry the world's problem on your shoulders. It's much easier to change yourself to find meaning than to change the world to fit your expectations.

Both of you suggested either running for office or voting for someone to be put in office that I like most. The problem with that though (and one of the main reasons that I do not exercise my right to vote) is that it's the current system that is flawed. It really doesn't matter who is in any of the office positions in my local government so long as they aren't massively corrupt. The process that I'm aiming to proceed with doesn't really require any special skills that I think I need to use if that makes sense.

Maybe I'll use a petition. I think I can talk to my mayor first I'm not sure.

Both of you suggested either running for office or voting for someone to be put in office that I like most. The problem with that though (and one of the main reasons that I do not exercise my right to vote) is that it's the current system that is flawed. It really doesn't matter who is in any of the office positions in my local government so long as they aren't massively corrupt. The process that I'm aiming to proceed with doesn't really require any special skills that I think I need to use if that makes sense.

That might work. Also, attend city council meetings and express your views.

The locals are far more intrusive into your life than the Feds will ever be.

Don't believe me? Get involved with your local building department sometime and you'll see what I mean.

I love your thinking and I hope we can do what you are thinking. They say all politics are local but I agree with you. All we ever talk about is stuff on a national level. We bitch about Obama and Boehner and McConnell but never about our local reps.

Oh, and what you need to do is get more people to vote. No change will happen when less than 50% vote. The rich will continue to rule and get richer and you'll continue to get poorer. But you sound like a conservative so I don't expect you want more people voting.
I agree people need to "vote" but not for most of the things on any of our ballots. Like I said we need to change our SYSTEM of government. I don't really care if people vote on anything else at the moment until that's fixed. Want to fix domestic poverty? Well our current system prevents us from working on that. Same goes for other big problems.

I don't know if I am a "conservative" but if I am then it's not a modern conservative it's what it USED to mean to be a conservative.

The locals are far more intrusive into your life than the Feds will ever be.

Don't believe me? Get involved with your local building department sometime and you'll see what I mean.
I could not agree more, they could teach republicans a thing or two about delay and obstruction.

I'm sorry but if you don't vote, then you are the problem.

Uuummm...... I smell an Ideologue........ like occupied.....

I'm sorry but if you don't vote, then you are the problem.
Yes, you really should vote and perform all your other civic duties before complaining about public officials not honestly performing their duties.

Check out all the pussified, gloom and doom in this thread from both sides. Yeah we're all fvcked aren't we? Morons.

OP you can do many things at a local level.

First off, Fight the next traffic ticket you get, if you get any. Traffic Court is an easy way to learn how the Justice System works at a local level. And before the USMB Sad Sacks, jump in with their bullsh*t, I recently got my wifes speeding ticket dismissed. It wasn't too hard, It will supdercharge you and have a ripple effect on others.

Talk to local Law Enforcement and the local Sheriff if you have one. Ask how they'd react to certain scenarios and what are some the policies for his Department for dealing with the public.

Have you talked to you local representative? Do you even know who he is? I have and I was surprised at a few thing he and his Chief of Staff said.

Find out which local Judges are appointed and which are elected and go talk to the Elected ones.

Best of all, talk to your neighbors and find out what their concerns are (beyond sports. drinking and gossip). Get to know who lives in yer community.

Uuummm...... I smell an Ideologue........ like occupied.....
All youth are ideologues before they figure out what the world is all about. Myself, I am a bitter old pragmatist at heart, it is not some leftist ideology to oppose plutocracy, it is the American way, or at least it was.

Forum List

Back