CDZ What are you worth?

why not make it everyone gets $100 per day no matter what they do, or how hard or long they work. Then ask what they would do

That's pretty much the scenario. In order to solve "wealth disparity" we have implemented this new law... you can earn $100 per day maximum. We're now trying to determine what people will bring to the table... what they will be willing to do for that $100 per day income. Like I said, this is a sociological test without a "correct" answer. It is merely intended to open a discussion on the aspects of "living wages" and "guaranteed minimum incomes."

why not make it everyone gets $100 per day no matter what they do, or how hard or long they work. Then ask what they would do
Not much on $500 a week.
well everyone else would get the same check so most things would be cheap if they exist at all
I guess we would have to do away with capitalism then.

$100 per day is not a living wage. $100 per hour is a living wage if you want to go high style.
More like medium style.

That is true but what is medium style? I like my steak medium rare and not frozen in the middle.

I recall------from way back in my LONG AGO childhood----that there was some calculation regarding the worth of a human being in terms of chemical components------back then it came to
97 cents

That's pretty much the scenario. In order to solve "wealth disparity" we have implemented this new law... you can earn $100 per day maximum. We're now trying to determine what people will bring to the table... what they will be willing to do for that $100 per day income. Like I said, this is a sociological test without a "correct" answer. It is merely intended to open a discussion on the aspects of "living wages" and "guaranteed minimum incomes."
well theres a big difference between maximum and minimum incomes, maximum implies they will get into trouble if they earn more money than $100 per day, minimum means they will receive this paycheck from the government no matter what.

Not that big of a difference. i was just pointing out your math examples all added up to $500 per week.

If I could live like I live now on 500 or 700 a week I would teach kids how to build IP networks.

Well those were just some examples... again, sorry if I implied it was capped at 5 days or $500.

So you would teach kids how to build IP networks? Good... now, how many hours/days would you deliver?

Not much on $500 a week.
well everyone else would get the same check so most things would be cheap if they exist at all
I guess we would have to do away with capitalism then.

$100 per day is not a living wage. $100 per hour is a living wage if you want to go high style.
More like medium style.

That is true but what is medium style? I like my steak medium rare and not frozen in the middle.
its all relative. However, i would be willing to give up living the high life it it meant everyone was comfortable.and had equal income without capitalism.

Last edited:
Not that big of a difference. i was just pointing out your math examples all added up to $500 per week.

If I could live like I live now on 500 or 700 a week I would teach kids how to build IP networks.

Well those were just some examples... again, sorry if I implied it was capped at 5 days or $500.

So you would teach kids how to build IP networks? Good... now, how many hours/days would you deliver?
With no capitalism I would do 4 hour days and about 5 students every 4 months.

I wouldn't have a set amount of time that I would work each day. It really depends on how long it takes for the truck driver to blow his load.

well theres a big difference maximum and minimum incomes, maximum implies they will get into trouble if they earn more money than $100 per day, minimum means they will receive this paycheck from the government no matter what.

The OP states maximum income will be $100 per day. It will be illegal to earn more. You see... we have to "solve wealth disparity" and this is the only way to ensure a solution. You can't have some people earning $200 per day... that defeats the purpose of the law.

And the government isn't going to pay you anything unless you work for the government.

Five students is a light class load but could instruct them and then tutor each and every individual student ensuring a very high class average with well educated high tech graduates. I used the carrot or stick approach.

Five students is a light class load but could instruct them and then tutor each and every individual student ensuring a very high class average with well educated high tech graduates. I used the carrot or stick approach.
I would intend to turn out very well trained junior engineers and give them each a lot of personal time.

I recall------from way back in my LONG AGO childhood----that there was some calculation regarding the worth of a human being in terms of chemical components------back then it came to
97 cents
thats not true. melanin alone is worth $358 a gram

you wish
I know.

Melanin Synthetic, BioReagent, suitable for cell culture | Sigma-Aldrich

I got more melanocytes than do you-------where do I cash in?

97 cents
thats not true. melanin alone is worth $358 a gram

you wish
I know.

Melanin Synthetic, BioReagent, suitable for cell culture | Sigma-Aldrich

I got more melanocytes than do you-------where do I cash in?
You already told me you had barely any. I dont forget much.

I would intend to turn out very well trained junior engineers and give them each a lot of personal time.

Every job that I have held always did to the best of my ability and I have had more than two shovel jobs before. I think I have an innate moral compass that makes people do right or as Lincoln said, "The better angels of our nature."

Every job that I have held always did to the best of my ability and I have had more than one shovel jobs before. I think I have an innate moral compass
Thats the best way to be. I did the same not out of loyalty but to learn as much as I could before moving on to learn something new.

Every job that I have held always did to the best of my ability and I have had more than one shovel jobs before. I think I have an innate moral compass
Thats the best way to be. I did the same not out of loyalty but to learn as much as I could before moving on to learn something new.

Never put anything in writing that you would not want your own mother to read. I learned that when a pre-teen.

I understand the empirical economic implications of the question, but I also know the main reason I work is because I really love what I do. I want to achieve certain things and that I get paid to do that is the "bonus," if you will. Accordingly, I surmise I'd work about the same quantity of hours as I do now because I enjoy doing the work I do. It's not so much about what I get paid for doing the work; it's about getting to do the work I am of a mind to do. If it pays less, it does. If it pays more, again, it just does. That it's what I want to do is no different either way.

Think of it like this. Does a painter paint less or more often based on what they think they may get paid for the product they produce? I don't think so. My work is much the same. It's about what I produce as a final "product," not how many hours I spend producing it. It's about my enjoying doing certain things and there being people who want "something" they can't acquire on their own as efficiently/effectively as they can by engaging me to do produce those things/results for them. That creates the "win-win" situation whereby they get their desired outcome and I get to do the things I really enjoy doing.

To close, your question is an odd one in my mind. For example, how does one deal with volunteer work in this model? Volunteerism can occupy material shares of one's time/resources yet one receives no monetary compensation for it.

Forum List

Back