What are you reading?

Outsider In The White House by Bernie Sanders..my god this shit is BORING! I like his economic policies but the dude can't write a book for shit! Reading it because I donated a whole 1$ for it LOL

I am presently reading (and am almost finished with) a book by Joanna Connors, entitled "I Will Find You." This particular book, which just came out last month, tells how, back in 1984, the author, a young reporter working for a Cleveland Paper, and on her way to interview the cast members of a new play that they were in, was invited by a young black man to go into the Case Western Reserve University theatre and see the lights, an invitation, much to her regret, accepted. The author, a young woman of about thirty, was brutally raped and sodomized by the young man, who'd just been released from prison on parole a week before. He warned her not to go to the police, and then said "If you do, I'll have to go to prison, and when I get out, I will find you." The young man who'd brutally raped and sodomized the author the day before, was back on campus the very next day looking for another victim, and was caught by an undercover security guard who was working at the University, and was also able to identify him by the messy tattoo on his arm that said DAVE, in rather messy-looking block letters.

Four months later, the author's attacker was tried, convicted and sentenced to a long term in prison by a really disgusted judge.

In addition to describing her rape and sodomization in lurid, grisly detail, she also admits to having accepted the invitation to enter the theatre with the young man, due to not wanting to come off as "one of these white women who fears black men." Unfortunately, she did develop sort of a fear of black men, and was very overprotective of her own children. She realizes that the whole assault changed her in both obvious and not so obvious ways.

Interestingly enough, since the author's attacker, David Francis, died in prison of some sort of bone cancer, the author felt compelled to get as many of David Francis's records as possible, and she interviews many members of his family, both in Boston and Cleveland as well, finding out much interesting, but often lurid and grisly stuff--lots of drugs, violence, assaults, rapes, etc., that, not surprisingly, helped make David Francis the monster that he was. So did the fact that he'd been sodomized in prison.

This book, although rather intense, and grisly at times, is well worth reading, and, whether one has been the victim of such a horrible crime as rape or not, it gets one thinking a great deal. It's a difficult book to put down. I got it a very short time ago, and I'm just about finished with it.

Currently re-reading James Michener's Poland. Read it years and years ago but I figured with age and a few more smarts I might gain a bit more insight and appreciation for my heritage.

Currently re-reading James Michener's Poland. Read it years and years ago but I figured with age and a few more smarts I might gain a bit more insight and appreciation for my heritage.

I haven't read Michener in a long time, but he is definitely someone I would take with me to a desert island. No better reading anywhere.

I just started One Second After by William Forstchen. I believe I heard of it from someone on this site.

Yes, that is an awesome book. I think I read it in one day. It does stop you dead in your tracks and makes you think about what if.

I wasn't all that impressed actually. It wasn't a terrible book; I didn't stop reading or anything like that. I wouldn't plan to read anything else by him based on that book, though.

Maybe I was just hoping for something more like a combination of John Ringo and Tom Clancy. :lol:

Right now I'm reading the fourth book of the Safehold series by David Weber.

I just started One Second After by William Forstchen. I believe I heard of it from someone on this site.

Yes, that is an awesome book. I think I read it in one day. It does stop you dead in your tracks and makes you think about what if.

I wasn't all that impressed actually. It wasn't a terrible book; I didn't stop reading or anything like that. I wouldn't plan to read anything else by him based on that book, though.

Maybe I was just hoping for something more like a combination of John Ringo and Tom Clancy. :lol:

You're correct, it had a lot of problems before I could call it a really good read. But I did enjoy the scare factor. For a book that I picked up as a paperback at a Sam's Club it was enjoyable. I haven't hear of David Weber I'll look into him.

You're correct, it had a lot of problems before I could call it a really good read. But I did enjoy the scare factor. For a book that I picked up as a paperback at a Sam's Club it was enjoyable. I haven't hear of David Weber I'll look into him.

Weber does sci-fi, I've seen his stuff described as 'space opera', at least his Honor Harrington series (which I think is his best). If you go to the Baen books website, they've always got at least a couple of his books available for free download if you have read ebooks. ;)

Currently ... well, it was about a half-hour read... so I guess it's done: Confessions of Congressman X. Mostly a confirmation of what we already know if we have any intelligence at all. X is easily identified as a House Democrat so that narrows the "guess who" game field for anyone who wants to play the game. But it easily answers the questions about the angst of having an "outsider" (such as Trump, Tea Party or any other person/group) having such an overwhelming impact on ... well ... the wee people.

Picked up a little booklet my home health lady was going to throw out and asked if I could have it ... "Fight Fire with Fire" by David Horowitz. About a 30 or so minute read. Very interesting read. His deep in association with the '60s radicals gives him great insight into today's radical left and what they've continually been up to since.

Just received in the mail today Crisis of Character. Should be a good read and I should have the time on my hands to dig in since my lady was moved into assisted living care today.

Forum List

Back