What are libertarians?

Kaz, face it, you are a...

• ...conservative because only money matters and your fiscallly conservative

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ...liberal, you're against morality laws and for smaller, defense only military

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Wh
Don't you think there should be regulations on how much lead is in paint? How about regulations against cancer causing ingredients in your pharmaceuticals? In your food? How about addictive additives in cigarettes? Shouldn't protection be provided to consumers?

Should government make those things illegal if they don't conform to whatever standard government sets as reasonable? No. Should producers of those things be required to disclose what they know or face civil and potentially criminal liability? Absolutely. An informed consumer is an empowered consumer. A regulated consumer is an empowered politician.

So you're saying that producers would be legally required to publically list every ingredient that is in their products? Why is it that such a better alternative than just setting guidelines? Tell me let's say we did it your way and a drug company discloses every ingredient in their drugs. How is the common consumer going to know which ingredient is cancer causing and which is safe?

I said "disclose what they know," I did not say "list every ingredient." Those are not synonymous.
And why would that be better for the consumer? Do you not see how easily the producer could fool the consumer.

If you believe the FDA should be abolished, you might be a libertarian.

If you believe the FAA should not exist, you might be a libertarian.

If you believe crack cocaine should be legal, you might be a libertarian.

If you believe the US military should be shrunk down to the size of a cub scout troop, you might be a libertarian.

If you believe all roads should be privatized, you might be a libertarian.

If you believe all federal safety regulations should be abolished, you might be a libertarian.

If you believe all child labor laws should be repealed, you might be a libertarian.

If you believe all insider trading and financial fraud regulations should be abrogated, you might be a libertarian.

If you believe human beings will be on their best behavior if there are no rules and regulations, you might be a libertarian.

If you believe "I got mine, screw everyone else", you might be a libertarian

Strawman

Selfishness is the very essence of Libertarianism

So?

The belief that they exist solely as an individual without needing a society is what makes Libertarianism unworkable

Again, government is not society. Furthermore, believing that society is beneficial is not synonymous with believing I am required to pay my neighbor's bills.

• Thanks
Reactions: kaz

If you believe the US military should be shrunk down to the size of a cub scout troop, you might be a libertarian.

If you believe all federal safety regulations should be abolished, you might be a libertarian.

If you believe all child labor laws should be repealed, you might be a libertarian.

If you believe all insider trading and financial fraud regulations should be abrogated, you might be a libertarian.

If you believe human beings will be on their best behavior if there are no rules and regulations, you might be a libertarian.

If you believe that Big Pharma will provide affordable drugs, you might be a libertarian.

If you believe Wall Street will not engage in insider trading, you might be a libertarian.

If you believe employers will provide safety equipment at their own expense, you might be a libertarian.

Taxes are the price we pay for a civilized society.

Oliver Wendell Holmes

Gotcha, if I want roads, then you can take my money and spend it for yourself, I'm just selfish. LOL, you're a tool.

Actually, yes. That is the way it works

And that is why a libertarian society is an anarchist society

No matter how it works, I want money I earned, you want money you did not earn. You are the selfish one. Voting doesn't change that. Sorry, Big Guy.

Oliver Wendell Holmes

Like it or not, you belong to a society. As a member of a society, you get a say in how that society is run. Some of the things decided by that society you will agree with. others you will not

Libertarians believe that society does not apply to them

Even if that's true, your voting for government to plunder other people's money and give it to you is selfish.

If thats the case, every vote is selfish

We all vote for candidates who best represent our views

So then, you admit you want government to take the property of others, under the threat of imprisonment and even death if necessary, so that government can give you what is not yours.

I will take anarchy over what we have today...any day of the week.
Once again....

Oliver Wendell Holmes

No...taxes are not the price we pay for a civilized society. To believe that, one will believe anything...the State tells them.

Anarchist

Thank you for the compliment.

Oliver Wendell Holmes

Gotcha, if I want roads, then you can take my money and spend it for yourself, I'm just selfish. LOL, you're a tool.

No matter how it works, I want money I earned, you want money you did not earn. You are the selfish one. Voting doesn't change that. Sorry, Big Guy.

Oliver Wendell Holmes

Like it or not, you belong to a society. As a member of a society, you get a say in how that society is run. Some of the things decided by that society you will agree with. others you will not

Government is not society, moron, so your post is irrelevant to the subject of the OP.
They are the elected representatives of our society

It is part of being a civilization

Oliver Wendell Holmes

Oliver Wendell Holmes

Government is not society, moron, so your post is irrelevant to the subject of the OP.

Yes...he commonly confuses the two terms.

I wonder if lefties think society and government are one an the same. That might explain their many delusions.

If you believe that Big Pharma will provide affordable drugs, you might be a libertarian.

If you believe Wall Street will not engage in insider trading, you might be a libertarian.

If you believe employers will provide safety equipment at their own expense, you might be a libertarian.

You really think government can provide affordable drugs, prevent Wall Street insider trading, and provide safety equipment...where have you been?

Government loves expensive drugs because the drug companies own the government...government loves Wall Street because it provides lots of campaign cash, so insider trading exists now and gets worse every day...and on and on....

You libs really do live in an alternative universe.

So seriously, you don't understand the difference between voting for things like roads, police and military that are for the use of all citizens, and voting for government to take someone's money and give it to you? Seriously?

Roads, police and the military do not benefit everyone equally. If you own a business and a proposed new highway will send tens of thousands of cars past your place of business...aren't you voting for the government to take someones money and give it to you?

Everyone votes on which candidate will best represent their views and needs from society

Seriously, it benefits the owner, not the employees? LOL. You've obviously never had a job before.

Oliver Wendell Holmes

Oliver Wendell Holmes

I wonder if lefties think society and government are one an the same. That might explain their many delusions.

Government is how we organize society.

Wh
Don't you think there should be regulations on how much lead is in paint? How about regulations against cancer causing ingredients in your pharmaceuticals? In your food? How about addictive additives in cigarettes? Shouldn't protection be provided to consumers?

Should government make those things illegal if they don't conform to whatever standard government sets as reasonable? No. Should producers of those things be required to disclose what they know or face civil and potentially criminal liability? Absolutely. An informed consumer is an empowered consumer. A regulated consumer is an empowered politician.

So you're saying that producers would be legally required to publically list every ingredient that is in their products? Why is it that such a better alternative than just setting guidelines? Tell me let's say we did it your way and a drug company discloses every ingredient in their drugs. How is the common consumer going to know which ingredient is cancer causing and which is safe?

I said "disclose what they know," I did not say "list every ingredient." Those are not synonymous.
And why would that be better for the consumer? Do you not see how easily the producer could fool the consumer.

Well, it comes down to whether you believe you can make better choices for yourself or government can make better choices for you. If you have the information to make an informed choice, do you really need a politician to do it for you? Why?

Oliver Wendell Holmes

Oliver Wendell Holmes

And that has worked out so well.:eek-52:

So seriously, you don't understand the difference between voting for things like roads, police and military that are for the use of all citizens, and voting for government to take someone's money and give it to you? Seriously?

Roads, police and the military do not benefit everyone equally. If you own a business and a proposed new highway will send tens of thousands of cars past your place of business...aren't you voting for the government to take someones money and give it to you?

Everyone votes on which candidate will best represent their views and needs from society

Seriously, it benefits the owner, not the employees? LOL. You've obviously never had a job before.
They still profit from a taxpayer expenditure that helps them at the expense of others

You think that business and their employees should not be allowed to vote for a politician who is supporting a road from which they will profit from?

Oliver Wendell Holmes

Oliver Wendell Holmes

The US is the most powerful economy on earth. Seems to be working so far

They are the elected representatives of our society

It is part of being a civilization

No, they are elected to represent us in the government, not in society. Do you really not understand the difference? Maybe I should make it easier for you. Is there anything you do understand? Let's start with that and work up. The body of what you don't understand is just enormous and seemingly has no end.

Oliver Wendell Holmes

Oliver Wendell Holmes

The US is the most powerful economy on earth. Seems to be working so far

So as long as the economy is good, that means our government is good?

Utter foolishness.

The actions of our government today only harm the economy and as a result, harm millions of Americans in the process.

Are you now claiming government and the economy are the same thing?

Wh

Well, it comes down to whether you believe you can make better choices for yourself or government can make better choices for you. If you have the information to make an informed choice, do you really need a politician to do it for you? Why?

Without regulation or rule of law, producers can easily cause detriment to consumers for the sake of profit. Like it or not there must be a gov agency overseeing the market for the sake of consumer protection. Regulation and capitalism can still go easily hand in hand.

You have this us verses them mentality about the government. You forget how great our system really is. We elect officials that are bound by the same laws we are.

They still profit from a taxpayer expenditure that helps them at the expense of others

You think that business and their employees should not be allowed to vote for a politician who is supporting a road from which they will profit from?

So as a business owner, I pay taxes for both my business and individually for both my business and myself at the Federal, State and local level. I pay income taxes, business taxes, property taxes, payroll taxes for my employees and myself, sales taxes and endless fees by government to do business.

What money are you referring to that I'm not paying but I'm profiting from?

Forum List

Back