What about the Proposed Jobs Bill do Repubs not like?

The part where it doesn't work.

This kind of thing has been repeated ad nauseam throughout this thread. It's amazing. No matter how many times solid proof is presented that the first stimulus DID, in fact, work, it still keeps being repeated.

I have an objection of my own to Obama's proposal, and it's the same objection I had to the first stimulus: It's too small. It's not enough. It will work, just as the first stimulus did, but it won't work well enough -- ditto -- and for the same reason. (The first stimulus was designed to create some 2-3 million jobs when we needed 10-12 million. It worked exactly as designed.)

If you want a clear idea of what kind of stimulus spending will actually revive the economy when it's in a depression like this, and what kind of stimulus spending will just have the motor cough and rumble a little without generating a sustained start, go back to the last depression we had.

Inadequate stimulus = FDR's tepid spending on work-relief and similar programs.

Adequate stimulus = what was spent to fight World War II.

Apply the lesson forward.

Parts of it may have worked. Creating jobs of substance was a failure and Obama admitted that. We are talking job creation right? :confused:

Dragon::

Even FDR and the "New Deal" is now "tepid spending"? Holy Cow... But perhaps you're right since all that "stimulus" from 1933 to 1938 only brought depression unemployment down to 16 or 17% or so..

Which BTW is far different from what we ACTUALLY have now if you take out all the fudge factors that DC now applies to the employment polling..

It's NOT 1934, Obama is not FDR, and the US economy is a completely different animal.. And stimulating consumption (something which leftists naturally abhor) doesn't work the same way that it used to...

This kind of thing has been repeated ad nauseam throughout this thread. It's amazing. No matter how many times solid proof is presented that the first stimulus DID, in fact, work, it still keeps being repeated.

I have an objection of my own to Obama's proposal, and it's the same objection I had to the first stimulus: It's too small. It's not enough. It will work, just as the first stimulus did, but it won't work well enough -- ditto -- and for the same reason. (The first stimulus was designed to create some 2-3 million jobs when we needed 10-12 million. It worked exactly as designed.)

If you want a clear idea of what kind of stimulus spending will actually revive the economy when it's in a depression like this, and what kind of stimulus spending will just have the motor cough and rumble a little without generating a sustained start, go back to the last depression we had.

Parts of it may have worked. Creating jobs of substance was a failure and Obama admitted that. We are talking job creation right? :confused:

Goverment Jobs creation does not work. It's never been proven to pull a country out of its ails.

That's because that's not the way to bootstrap the economy. Bootstrapping the economy is done at the small business level, not at the level of Federal Government stimulating government jobs/duties/infrastructure, etc.

A major separation from Democrats/Republicans. Well, it was at one time. I don't know anymore. They both tossed money away in the stimulus.

Goverment Jobs creation does not work. It's never been proven to pull a country out of its ails.

That's because that's not the way to bootstrap the economy. Bootstrapping the economy is done at the small business level, not at the level of Federal Government stimulating government jobs/duties/infrastructure, etc.

A major separation from Democrats/Republicans. Well, it was at one time. I don't know anymore. They both tossed money away in the stimulus.

Government has bankrupted Social security, medicare, medicaid, Fannie and Freddie just about everything they have touched and people expect them to produce a job's bill that will work to create jobs.:cuckoo: Government creates no jobs, they create more and more debt, stop the out of control spending, get the hell out of the way and let the private sector move forward to create opportunity and jobs for everyone. That's how it works folks and that's the only way it works.

No way...The stimulus were pure politics.
That spending appealed to those who said "at least he's doing SOMETHING".

Government has bankrupted Social security, medicare, medicaid, Fannie and Freddie just about everything they have touched and people expect them to produce a job's bill that will work to create jobs.:cuckoo: Government creates no jobs, they create more and more debt, stop the out of control spending, get the hell out of the way and let the private sector move forward to create opportunity and jobs for everyone. That's how it works folks and that's the only way it works.

I disagree on the highlight. Financial lobbying and false wizardry created these events. Dot.com --> Savings and Loan --> Financial Collapse and there were some from both sides of the political divide calling it for more than a few years.

My view is that both sides of the political divide profited from the financial lobbying and failed wizardry.

Forum List

Back