Western armor gets creamed by hand-held rockets

No, not really. As it would be a sitting duck.

The LCS was always a stupid idea, and most of us that looked at the development of it laughed when it was first proposed. The "Little Crappy Ship" was always a boat in search of a mission that simply did not exist.

But for defense of an amphibious group and providing shore bombardment in the event that amphibious group is needed is a real mission, and one that our amphibious groups do not have any kind of support for. Want to seam one of these by itself and think it can not be touched? Well, the Germans and Japanese both thought that as they sent their "Supper Battleships" by themselves into harms way. And we all know how those turned out.

They turned into really nice artificial reefs. The same thing would happen to this if that was tried.

How is it a sitting duck? Other than antenna's that would have to be replaced, and potential shock damage to electronics, there is not much out there except for a torpedo that can harm one of those vessels. This now, an Exocet, hitting perfectly, at optimal distance from launch, will penetrate 3.2" inches of armor. The best ASM the Russians or chinese have will penetrate 4 inches. That will barely make it through the deck armor, but the splinter armor below contains it. And, once again, that is with an optimal hit.

Makes no difference whether it was Russian T-90. US M1 Abrams, or the feared German Leopards, all suffered massive defeats at the hands of rebels with missiles.

TOW missiles used by Syrian rebels blew holes through Russia's armored tanks.

The interconnected conflicts raging across the Middle East today have amounted to a dreadful human catastrophe with spiraling global consequence. One of their lesser effects has been to deflate the reputations of Western main battle tanks mistakenly thought to be night-invulnerable in the popular imagination.

Iraqi M1 Abrams tanks not only failed to prevent he capture of Mosul in 2014, but they were captured and turned against their owners. In Yemen, numerous Saudi M1s were knocked out by Houthi rebels. Turkey, which had lost a number of M60 Pattons and upgrade M60T Sabra tanks to Kurdish and ISIS fighters eventually deployed its fearsome German-built Leopard 2A4 tanks. ISIS destroyed eight to ten in a matter of days.

We build these massive steel boxes to fight one another and they never face off. It makes no difference whether it’s the heavy stuff or APCs, missiles seems to nullify their very reason for being.

A whole lot more about this @ Russia's Tank Forces Got A Really Rude Awakening In Syria

You ignore the obvious:

Of course tanks can be handily defeated by infantry launched anti tank missiles.

That's why tanks are supposed to be screened by their own infantry.

You ignore the obvious:

Of course tanks can be handily defeated by infantry launched anti tank missiles.

That's why tanks are supposed to be screened by their own infantry.
And you ignore/are not aware of reality.

Trophy APS (Active Protection System) defeats ATGM's, RPG's and others.
It has already been tested in combat and passed.
It is now being equipped on all US Abrams and German Leopard 2's.

I was 6 feet from the midship phalanx with my eye on the aft gun, which they said they were going to test (Kittyhawk 1984) Well unlike sub sailors who learn the systems as we install them, surface sailors party till the ship goes. Anyway, announce the aft gun and fire the midship one 6 feet from me. Still have a shell on my desk for a pencil holder.

Phalanx is a majorly awesome weapon. 12 rounds heavy metal slugs at the target then it targets and shoots the pieces. 3000rpm, 999 cap.

I was 6 feet from the midship phalanx with my eye on the aft gun, which they said they were going to test (Kittyhawk 1984) Well unlike sub sailors who learn the systems as we install them, surface sailors party till the ship goes. Anyway, announce the aft gun and fire the midship one 6 feet from me. Still have a shell on my desk for a pencil holder.

Phalanx is a majorly awesome weapon. 12 rounds heavy metal slugs at the target then it targets and shoots the pieces. 3000rpm, 999 cap.

Isn't Goalkeeper better? It uses the same gun as the A-10 Thunderbolt.

How is it a sitting duck? Other than antenna's that would have to be replaced, and potential shock damage to electronics, there is not much out there except for a torpedo that can harm one of those vessels.

Are you talking about an LCS?

And you really think it would survive on its own? Hell, I think the last class of ships we had that is less seaworthy is the original Monitor class.

But go ahead, believe they are "invulnerable". I can give you a long list of previous "invulnerable" ships.

Are you talking about an LCS?

And you really think it would survive on its own? Hell, I think the last class of ships we had that is less seaworthy is the original Monitor class.

But go ahead, believe they are "invulnerable". I can give you a long list of previous "invulnerable" ships.

No, I was talking about the Alaska class.

The LCS's are a fucking joke.

No, I was talking about the Alaska class.

The LCS's are a fucking joke.

It is only at risk in specific situations, mostly from air if it is anchored. Hot she is almost completely invulnerable to all ship gunfire and all conventional missiles. And has the range with enough big guns that it can "reach out and touch someone" if they did try to engage with most shore based anti-ship artillery or missiles.

Forum List

Back